Router with USB port?

ScarsUnseen

Weaksauce
Hi,

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I also have a 750gb external USB/esata hard drive. Is there any way I can connect my hard drive to the router with some sort of ethernet-to-USB adapter (I don't think it's possible though)?

Also, can I have a recommendation for a wireless router with a USB port for my hard drive? I'd prefer not having to reformat the hard drive. Wireless G is fine, but I wouldn't mind N or even with gigabit. =)

Thanks,
ScarsUnseen

Thanks, but I already saw that :p

I've read a lot of bad reviews on the WRT350N and was hoping for an alternative. I've also read that with the WRT350N, you need to format your hard drive. =\ Any other suggestions or clarifications? Thanks.

I've heard great things about the Apple Airport Extreme, other than price. It'll do both drives and printers.

brokenarrow03,

I don't see anything that says that D-Link router can support external hard drives. Do you have any experience with that router?

Bah. I don't like how the formatted hard drive MUST be fat32 or ext2. Maybe I'll just build my own NAS box.

Do you guys think this would be a good start for a mobo and cpu for a NAS box? I definitely prefer small and need SATA support.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECS-AMD-ATI-RS482-MICRO-ATX-MOTHERBOARD-CPU-RS482-M754_W0QQitemZ200254379553QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200254379553&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks.

Kinda old technology dont ya think? I could definately see if you had it layin around the house, or if you only need the mobo and have the rest layin around, but I dont think I would ever buy somethin like that to make a new system. You can get pretty solid setups for a cheap price that are new technology from the egg. IMO

Why would you recommend that? Waaaaay underpowered and actually overpriced compared to say an athlon x2 setup...

Heres mine...

Gigabyte GA-MA74FM-S2 =$55
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ =$57

Waaaaay more horsepower than the VIA chip and cheaper, gigabit lan, SATA II controller...

Why would you recommend that? Waaaaay underpowered and actually overpriced compared to say an athlon x2 setup...

Heres mine...

Gigabyte GA-MA74FM-S2 =$55
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ =$57

Waaaaay more horsepower than the VIA chip and cheaper, gigabit lan, SATA II controller...

Why? Because it's a NAS, not a PC. It has plenty of processing power and it puts out a fraction of the heat and uses a fraction of the power compared to the parts you have listed above. And it's also a Mini-ITX board.

That jetaway board doesn't have gigabit LAN. Do I even need something really powerful to run a headless NAS anyway?

Are you going to put a raid card in your setup? If you don't get something with true hardware raid it will take lots of cpu cycles to do raid calculations. I just bought a HP rocketraid 2320 which isnt true hardware raid but I have enough cpu to do the calculations so I saved a few hundred bucks over say an areca 1220 that does all calculations on card.

I'm honestly unfamiliar with RAID setups. I just want something very basic to stream my mp3s and HD movie files. I have a one 750gb SATA hdd to use for this. I don't need any auto-backup software or anything as I prefer manually doing that. I'd like something basic, easy, and fast (and supports SATA and gigabit). Thanks for your help.

I'm honestly unfamiliar with RAID setups. I just want something very basic to stream my mp3s and HD movie files. I have a one 750gb SATA hdd to use for this. I don't need any auto-backup software or anything as I prefer manually doing that. I'd like something basic, easy, and fast (and supports SATA and gigabit). Thanks for your help.
Basically you have to ask yourself, what's your tolerance for data loss. If you need 750gb of data, I assume you have a fair amount. How would you feel if you lost it all? How would you feel if you had a performance hit while you replace a drive? All things to consider if you want to do a Raid 0, 1, 1+0, 5, 5+1, etc. If you'd be pissed and/or devastated to loose that data, I'd suggest atleast setting up a mirror set.

Well right now I have about 200gb of data on its own partition on my main 500gb hdd. I'd like to copy all of the 200gb to the 750gb as redundant backup. I also have multiple other hard drives I could use for redundant backup if necessary to use w/ external enclosures, but I'd like the 750gb to be the primary file storage.

Back