Router/WiFi/Bridge Recommendation Needed

enc0re

Limp Gawd
After 10 years of faithful service, my Linksys BEFSR81 8-port switch/router is finally starting to flake out on me. It needs a hard reset every couple of days. It has a Netgear WPN802 (version 1) hooked up it to provide wireless access. I also have an unused Netgear WPN824. Frankly, both Netgears disappoint me. I'm completely out of touch with what's available.

So I want to put together a new network infrastructure for my stuffs. I expect to need two devices [1] and [2] as diagrammed below. Here is the idea:

Office:
DSL Modem <-Cat5-> Router/Switch/WiFi[1] <-Cat5-> Gaming Computer

Downstairs Theater:
WiFi/Switch[2] <-Cat5-> Media Computer
WiFi/Switch[2] <-Cat5-> XBOX 360

Roaming:
WiFi Laptop
WiFi Wii

Ideally, I want [1] and [2] to be setup so that everything connected to them by Cat5 lives on the same subnet. That's so that the XBOX can be used as a Windows Media Center extender and also so that Windows file sharing is nice and easy. Also I need QoS on [1] so that BitTorrent doesn't interfere with gaming. Finally, it would be nice to have enough WiFi bandwidth that I can play HD content off Windows shared volumes without delay, but that is somewhat optional. Copying the file beforehand ain't that big a deal. I'm willing to flash custom firmware if necessary, but would strongly prefer not to. I prefer stuff that works stock. I have read the sticky, but need more situation specific guidance.

Gurus of [H], what is the choice hardware to do all this in this day and age?

Thank you very much in advance for all the good advice.

Last edited:
For the router, I don't have any specific suggestions as I'm in the market as well. But I actually like my little NetGear switches. One is a PoE switch which I wont bother you with, the other is this guy. As you can see it has mostly 5 and 4 eggs.

In my house it's like this:
Internet->Modem->Router->Switch[1]->WIFI/Servers/Computers1-4/Switch[2]
and
Switch[2]->IP Phones/Computers 5-6/Office Printer

In English, my 4 port router connects to an 8 port switch which feeds a Wireless Access Point, my two servers, 4 other computers and the PoE Switch. The PoE switch feeds 2 additional computers, 3 IP phones and a printer. The Wifi feeds the Wii and any wireless computers.

In my case I could safely upgrade the router to a non gigabit router provided it only connects directly to a gigabit switch. Since all computers on the network will hook into the gigabit switch, they will communicate with high speed between each other, and only choke out when going through the router to the Internet. But, if you want gigabit speeds AND plan on using your router to hook into computers directly, you'll want it to support 1000 Base-T

Other than that I'd say pick a router with wireless N, as the good ones are about the same price as non wifi routers, and N is the next best thing. Hopefully it will serve you just as long as current one has.

Hope that helps you someway.

Since this is not drawing any replies, I'll cross post in the Router Recommendations sticky.

id run a wrt54gl upstairs flashed with tomato, and a wrt54gl downstairs flashed with tomato

id run a wrt54gl upstairs flashed with tomato, and a wrt54gl downstairs flashed with tomato

While I'm not thrilled about flashing, Tomato seems nice and easy to use. Do you (or anyone) know if the T-Mobile branded Linksys is compatible with it? $17 is a heck of a deal.

Back