Router to Wireless router/access point ...

badtz

Limp Gawd
For some reason I can't get this to work, maybe there's something I'm not configuring just right :X .......

There's a router in the basement running DHCP (and getting the WAN IP) .....

the router's ports are cabled to various jacks within the house ....

I installed a wireless router at one of those jacks, turned off DHCP, and plugged it into the uplink/wan port , but it doesn't work?

The wireless computers using that router doesn't get an IP from the router in the basement.

Should the wire being plugged into wireless router be a crossover cable?

maybe I'm thinking this thru incorrectly.

any help would be great! :)

You also need to make sure the LAN IP of that second unit..is different from your main route. Meaning..say they're both Linksys. Well...Linksys routers by default have 192.168.1.1 as their LAN IP.

If you uplink the two using LAN ports...err....you'll have a nice IP conflict. So on your second router...you want to change the LAN IP..something like 192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.253. Whatever it is..just write it down so you don't forget. And yes disable DHCP on it.

If it's 2x different brands, like the first one is a Linksys at 192.168.1.xxx, and your second one is a Nutgear at 192.168.0.xxx..I'd change the Nutgear to be in the range of your main one so you can hit the web admin...make it something like 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.253.

Now..if you need an crossover cable or not..that depends on what routers you have. Some have an uplink port..you'll just need to use that on one of them..not both. Some have a button you hit to switch to "X", and most new ones are auto-detect.

The way I did it, disable routing, set the IP to match the range of the DHCP, and plug into a LAN port rather than a WAN port.

My DHCP is 192.168.0.1, my wireless AP/router is 192.168.0.244 with DHCP turned off, plugged into a LAN port. No problems here, except for the damn dirty dial up.

0ldman, in your setup, the router handles the DHCP and passes that on to the wireless access point [which uses an IP from the router's range] and thus, your wireless clients have IP addresses from the original router?

if there's a cross over cable, would it work by plugging into the WAN/uplink port?

badtz said:
0ldman, in your setup, the router handles the DHCP and passes that on to the wireless access point [which uses an IP from the router's range] and thus, your wireless clients have IP addresses from the original router?

if there's a cross over cable, would it work by plugging into the WAN/uplink port?

That's what it does....yes...the second router....when you uplink it using a LAN port...you're really just using it as an access point. You don't use the WAN port...thus you're not using the routing features.

Back