Router to router internet connection help

edinator

Limp Gawd
Ok so here's the dilemma:

My internet provider says that i need a direct line of sight to the wireless tower that sends the signal to the modem. That means I have to move the modem 100 metres away from the main router which is in my house. The modem.antenna is going to be in a boat house at the end of my property. The connection is suppose to be 7 Mbps (that's Mega bits). I want to get as much bandwidth from this as possible.

I'm thinking about a wireless solution. I currently have a Linksys draft N router for the computers in my house. I don't know what hardware I should use and how to hook it up ( although I will know how to hook it up once i know the hardware). Cost isn't that big of an issue. My main concern is a getting a stable signal that connects from house to house that is 100m apart.

*Edit Can you hook up a router to a modem and have that router send the internet connection to another router? It seems like a hassle but I don't know if sending one signal will be strong enough to cover the whole house.

Thanks for your help. I can provide more information if you need it. This is just what I think is relevant.

I am sure that can be accomplished many ways. I am doing something similar for a family member that lives down the street from me by about 75 yards. All I am using is 2 Linksys WRT54GL's running tofu and WDS.

*edit*

I did put 7dbi omnis on each WRT54GL, you might need a more aggressive antenna, but you could do essentially the same thing for I think less than 200 dollars.

I should have kept my WRT54GL.... Is there anyway to do it without firmware changes using wireless n? Thanks anyways. I would have used a similar setup but if i'm paying that much I want wireless N.

*Edit Can you hook up a router to a modem and have that router send the internet connection to another router? It seems like a hassle but I don't know if sending one signal will be strong enough to cover the whole house.

at 100m from the modem/router in the boathouse though, you're not going to get great reception once you go inside the building. in all honesty, i would use an edger or something and dig a small trench in the ground and run an ethernet cable from the boathouse to the house. but if you must do it wireless, for sure set up a directional antenna. in your situation it would help lots.

as far as modem->router->wireless router@home you have to get more advice. i think there are routers that can 'relay' like that, but im not very familiar with networking products so i wont comment.

I think you'd almost need like 2 routers and a wireless access point.

Router 1 would connect to the modem, running DHCP and acting as gateway.

Router 2 would be configured as either a wireless bridge or wireless client, and connect to the wireless network that is configured on router 1. Since its running in "client mode," I don't think you could connect with other wireless devices to router 2. Which is why you'd need...

Access point 1. Hard wire that into router 2, and have your wireless devices connect to the network via the access point.

I'd check out DD-WRT. My roommates and I have a setup similar to this (minus the boat house) - My router connects to the modem, and they each have their own routers that are connected via wireless as clients. They hard-wire their devices into their routers, and anything they do wirelessly connects to my router. My router handles DNS and DHCP. In your case, you'd just add an access point instead of computers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

I believe there are some N routers that DD-WRT can run on.

Sweet, thanks guys i'll see which is the best option, reception and price wise.

Another question. I think this might be the setup i'm looking for.

I want to use my current Linksys WRT330N router and connect it to a D-Link DAP-1522 wireless bridge. The Router will be connected to the modem. The bridge will be in the house receiving the wireless signal. I want to connect one computer to the bridge via Ethernet and other computers and a PS3 via wireless.

Is this possible? I don't know if the router is compatible with the D-link bridge and I don't know if you can use the bridge as I described.

I am not familiar with those routers as I have not used them personally, but as long as they will work with each other using WDS you can use another N router as an ethernet bridge and wireless repeater if I am not mistaken. A lot depends on what is between the router and the bridge and what the firmware of them both would allow.

A quick google of that router says that it is WDS capable. :D

Is the boat house where your modem/router will be stationed be on land or water? I don't see how your going to create a moving link from your boat house to your other house with one router going up/down and side to side. This would be interesting to see if it would work.

I would leave one router using dhcp and login to the other router and turn off dchp and plug the ethernet into port one on the second router and yes you still can use the wireless off the second router.

setup should be like this from first router plug the ethernet cable from port 1 then take that ethernet cable from first router and plug the ethernet cable into port 1 on the second router and use the dhcp coming off the first router.

THe boathouse is stationary, it's just where we keep the boat.

I think I'm going to buy a wireless N router that is cheap and capable of using the modified firmware. I'll turn that second router into a bridge and see how ti goes from there. If it doesn't work, i'll be out $50.

I think i'll be trying that for now, I'll let you guys know if it works out.

^^^ Sounds good to me. I personally don't think the signal will be worth a darn but we'll see.

I'd be looking at digging a trench and sticking some CAT5e in some basic PVC pipe if nothing else...

Well it's an option but it's a lot of digging and it's a three story house. It's just not the best landscape to dig in either with rocky patches and it's hilly.

Well it's an option but it's a lot of digging and it's a three story house. It's just not the best landscape to dig in either with rocky patches and it's hilly.

Then I'd probably stick with just point to point uni-directional antennas... Of course fog, etc might knock them dead.

Back