Router to limit bandwidth per IP

eyedol

Gawd
Are there any routers out there that can limit the bandwidth per IP? I'm not yet too familiar with the cisco routers so if someone could shed some light on them about what they can do that'd be nice. Just out of curiosity what kind of management is possible with the fanciest of routers? :D

eyedol said:
Just out of curiosity what kind of management is possible with the fanciest of routers? :D

Fanciest of routers?
If you can read it (in the packet) you can filter, sort, deny, approve, reroute it.

No real way to limit bandwidth to IP's... There are some programs about for *nix that you could run before your router that would do that... But that would seriously slow down the network more than likely...

Access Control Lists are one of the best things about high end routers... Unless you are running a network of 20 computers or more, a nice router is not worth the price. An old *nix box with smoothwall or Ipcop would do the job for any home network, as it would not need to handle lots of traffic.

TheGrunt said:
Access Control Lists are one of the best things about high end routers... Unless you are running a network of 20 computers or more, a nice router is not worth the price. An old *nix box with smoothwall or Ipcop would do the job for any home network, as it would not need to handle lots of traffic.

Well as long as old PCs and *nixes are on the table.
http://www.clarkconnect.org/webapp/moduleinfo.jsp?id=2
The bandwidth manager lets you control the upload and download speeds for particular IP addresses on your local network. The module can also limit traffic by port/service.

I believe the LinkSys WRT54g with Sveasoft patch has bandwidth management.

I agree with the guy who said Clark Connect above. I've used it for almost a year on my network of about 15 computers and its really slick. Easy to set up and maintain and will do the exact thing you want as well as dozens of other things you don't yet know you need to do ;) . And so long as you have hold hardware around it can be cheap to free to set up.

QOS is Quality Of Service..

With a high end router your can do it with ACLs (access control lists)..

The easiest option would to build a linux router with clarkconnect. It'll run on a p133 even. Does your traffic shaping and much more.

If your into linux and BSD, The IPFirewall can do some traffic shaping with its ruleset..

-scoob8000

I could go the *nix route but I've never been a big fan of putting any trust into an old box especially in my situation.

I live in an apartment with 3 other of my good friends and right now our cable connection is 1Mbit dn/ 128Kbps up (which is bullshit) and I need a way to manage bandwidth. In a month of so Cox is supposed to upgrade our line to 3Mbit/1Mbit up or something like that(1Mbit up doesn't sound right but that's what I was told).

I could have everyone run a bandwidth limiter but frankly I want to keep control centralized in the form of a router. I was told that the Cisco 1605R would be a good choice but I'm not sure what to think yet as I haven't looked into what it can do yet. For now im looking into just managing the upload.

Thanks,

eyedol said:
I could go the *nix route but I've never been a big fan of putting any trust into an old box especially in my situation.

Fair enough. What is your situation?

I could have everyone run a bandwidth limiter but frankly I want to keep control centralized in the form of a router. I was told that the Cisco 1605R would be a good choice but I'm not sure what to think yet as I haven't looked into what it can do yet. For now im looking into just managing the upload.

Detals on the Cisco 1605R But also from the Cisco website: " end-of-life status; it cannot be ordered and may no longer be supported."
So I guess you can grab one on Ebay for about 350 USD.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well my situation is having 3 other roommates that I don't want bitching at me that the connection died or whatever. I'd rather pay a little money to get something reliable to almost guarentee uptime. I'm usually out of town quite a bit so I wouldn't be here to fix it if the linux box died.

I was planning on getting that cisco router on ebay and thank you for the links to the cisco documentation.

versello said:
I believe the LinkSys WRT54g with Sveasoft patch has bandwidth management.
Yeah, it works really well. I've used to stop my roomie from hogging all the BW with bit torrent.

eyedol said:
Well my situation is having 3 other roommates that I don't want bitching at me that the connection died or whatever. I'd rather pay a little money to get something reliable to almost guarentee uptime. I'm usually out of town quite a bit so I wouldn't be here to fix it if the linux box died.

I was planning on getting that cisco router on ebay and thank you for the links to the cisco documentation.

Woah there!
Realize that you really are going to be using alot of overkill with that cisco, and you never even mentioned if you are familiar with the IOS at all, which seems ot have been forgotten in this thread so far...will the router you buy come with the ethernet to AUI adaptor so you can connect it to lan and modem?

Do you know how to write up an ACL to actually limit the bandwidth and setup QoS appropriately?

If you want a much MUCH easier, and JUST AS STABLE of a setup, I would highly recommend clarkconnect, as you can do a multitude of things with it , and all you need is an old 233 with parts in good shape. At my school we have a test network setup with clarkconnect as the router and it has been up for 185 days as of today, so i dont think your going to hear bitching that much if things are always up like that....I can pretty much say for sure that your internet will go out before the box will die if you use decent hardware.

plus, without allowing in telnet or (ssh perhaps...) to the router, you will not be able to check on things out of town...with clarkconnect you can...you can also setup transparent proxy to eliminate bandwidth usage on common images and items of the sort, as well as monitor who is hitting what (if you need) and you also have centralized IDS solution, so you can see what is probing your connection.

If you have the money and time to burn for all the shit needed for the router, and associated learning, as [H] as that might be, the clarkconnect is going to be much better imo. spend 200 and get a nice 450Mhz complete system off of ebay, spend some other dough on the clarkconnect office edition, and get all the fancy updates and other features. or dont. and save the money. and get all the same up time, with alot less of the hassle

Yeah you have good points but the only way im going to run a box with clarkconnect is if I get a 1u server off ebay or something and throw that in a corner. I share my room with a friend and that's where everythings at. As far as learning how to setup the router and configure it I might not know how right now...but I want to learn sooner or later so might as well plunge into it. What fun is doing something that you already know about. :rolleyes:

yeah [H] is good
hehe
i have an little tiny 500Mhz 256Mb / 16Gb compaq deskpro that I used for a firewall for a short time while I rebuilt my real firewall...it was quiet, used low power, etc etc

The Bandwidth Management feature doesn't seem to work for me. I'm using Sveasoft Satori v4.0 WRT54G. I would like to put my roommate's computer on low priority so that my ping levels don't skyrockets while I'm gaming. I've tried putting 192.168.1.101/32 under source and destination netmasks and tried enabling management for both WAN and LAN/wLAN but neither seem to make a difference. My upload and download capacity is set to 1200/308 which is 20% less than 1500/384 according to the manual. Any suggestions?

draconius said:
Woah there!
If you want a much MUCH easier, and JUST AS STABLE of a setup

Easier, yes. Just as stable, no. Cisco wouldn't be selling products if it was just as stable. I've had the pleasure to use both options and I wouldn't give up my router for anything.

Back