Router Throughput Question

MadGeek451

Limp Gawd
I bought a modem (Motorola SB6120) to get rid of my leased modem. During the setup process, with the modem hooked up directly to the computer, I ran the speakeasy test and got speeds around 45,000 kb. When I reconnected my trusty wrt54g running dd-wrt (v23sp2), my up stayed the same, but my down cut in half, to about 20,000 kb. It seemed fishy to me so I wanted to ask...

Is that the acceptable, expected throttling by having a router in the mix? Will getting a new router improve these speeds?

WRT54G's are dated hardware to today's standards. 20mbps is just about all you are going to get throughput wise.

Yes, purchasing a new router will allow much faster speeds.

The wrt54g is a bit dated..however you should be getting slightly higher speeds...depending on which version you have, it should get from 30-45 megs of throughput
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

Depending on the load on your network, may want to consider a more current generation router, most now will do over a hundred megs throughput.

You're testing this via ethernet cable or wireless?

I was testing via ethernet, YeOldeStonecat.

Fair enough. I've been planning on upgrading to N anyways, so I'll go ahead and push that button. I just really didn't expect my throughput to be that limited, given it's base 100.

Oh well. So it goes. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Back