Router that relays Wireless internet into LAN (wired) internet

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,
I need some router/other device that relays a wireless connection into a wired one. We have a wireless router on the second floor. On the first floor, we have a computer that can't accept a wireless connection. Thus, what router/device can accept the wireless connection from the 2nd floor router and relay it across an ethernet cable?

-Thanks

Options:

-Buy a USB Wireless Card (cheapest)

-Buy a Linksys WRT54GL and install the DD-WRT Firmware on it, then you can use it as a bridge and connect the wired ethernet into it to connect to your wireless. (middle of the road in price)

-Buy a dedicated wireless bridge (most expensive)

If it is just one computer, I would buy a wireless card/adapter for it. It is the cheapest solution and most straight forward. Only thing the machine needs is a USB port.

I was about to ask why not just get a wireless adapter?

As mentioned before get a WRT54G and flash it to a DD-WRT firmware and set that as a bridge client.

Well will a wireless adapter work with Solaris? This is a work computer with some security settings I believe.

Thanks for the help. Ironically, the router I have now is a 54GL also. Guess I will get another one.

Well will a wireless adapter work with Solaris? This is a work computer with some security settings I believe.

Thanks for the help. Ironically, the router I have now is a 54GL also. Guess I will get another one.

Sparc, X86, Solaris 8, 9, 10... open solaris..?

Some wifi cards will work, though most of what ive seen is for open solaris (which I dont particularly care for). http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/

Ugh.... dude, don't even mess with that unless you know for certain that it supports that specific chipset. Maybe they've improved since 2.6-2.8 when I used it, but I remember it supporting specific hardware in very generic ways. Get a wireless<>ethernet bridge.

I'm looking for a replacement atm for my great-but-dying WLI-TX4-G54HP, is an example of what *would* work for you.

I use an old 54G v3? I think with the DDWRT loaded on it. We use it for just that. Crappy un-modifiable 54G v6 connected to cable modem. My modded router on the other end of the house, directing DHCP from it out it's wired LAN ports.

1 mod your current GL to be a bridge.
2 buy another cheap anything g router and connect to your cable modem.
4 profit!

Back