Router Recommendation

BoyBlunder

[H]ard|Gawd
ATM, I have a Belkin 54g wireless router. The features on it sucks, and the range of it suck (all I use are laptops w/ wireless). I'm looking into the Linksys route, but after setting one up for a friend over the weekend, it seemed like a pain in the ass initially.

So what do you guys recommend?

I love my Linksys WRT54G with opensource firware installed. I also added a larger antenna which makes me able to bringe the network to an apartment a pretty good distance away. I am very happy with it compared to the belkin and netgear of the same flavor I tryed before buying this one.

Linksys or Cisco stuff is the best way to go if you're against Belkin.

cizin said:
I love my Linksys WRT54G with opensource firware installed. I also added a larger antenna which makes me able to bringe the network to an apartment a pretty good distance away. I am very happy with it compared to the belkin and netgear of the same flavor I tryed before buying this one.

what antenna are you using and can you give me a link?

Ya know, I hate to be an ass, and normally i'm not like this, but we literally see this question a few times a week, if not daily. It never hurts to use the search feature, or run through the latest couple pages.

With that said, the WRT54G/GS is the best it comes for consumer level/home use equipment.

I hate to recommend linksys because i've went through 5 of there routers in the past 2yrs. Unfourtnatly with a cheap wi-fi router your signal is limited to 3db, a whopping 5db if you put on the "extended range" antenna's. No matter what you go with, i'd pickup linksys if you must.

If you want lots of range and feature rich, and have $400 to blow look into proxim's dual radio AP. The best $400 you'll ever spend ;)

Back