Router Recommendation

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
One of my girlfriend's relatives is looking for a new router. Their 5+yr old wireless router is calling it quits so they need to get a new one. I have not been in the market for a while now so I'm not really sure what to get. They're in another state and most likely going to pick it up at a walmart or best buy, might consider online but doubt it.

I don't know their budget, but I'm assuming nothing above $100. At most, they use maybe 2 wireless laptops and wifi on their cell phones (so I guess all they need is G?), nothing plugged straight in other than their dsl (so no gigabit). I wasn't sure if getting an N router would be in their best interest since they're most likely not going to be using a ton of bandwidth or streaming. They're out in the middle of nowhere, so wireless security isn't much of an issue. They're not very tech savvy so custom firmwires or lots of configuring may be out of the question. The house is somewhat small, router is upstairs, most of the use is downstairs, walls aren't very thick. Not sure what other info may help.

The ones I'm looking at are:
ASUS RT-N12
Linksys WRT54GL
BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH

Any suggestions? Since they're picking it up from a B&M, I'm also looking for some keyword technologies they should look for or stay away from (i.e. "stay away from 5GHz and Dual band"), just in-case that specific model isn't in the store and they need to get something similar.

Buy whatever deal there is on slickdeals.net for an open source router. You can get quite a router for sub-$100, so you're well within budget

and LOLOLOLOL at you being tech support for your girlfriend's family good luck with that

Thanks for the suggestion, diizzy.

I did take a look at the sticky thread, but a lot of the recommendations are either deactivated, out of stock, or no longer made.

Crisis averted. They wound up getting some "netgear N router" from bestbuy.com on a recommendation from a friend of a friend who's also going to install it.

Thanks for the help!

Back