router problems

psynotic

Weaksauce
Hey,

I just got a SMC 7004VBR router and when I installed it my download speeds are totally crap, but when my connection is just straight from cable modem to computer my connection is normal. It seems my router is slowing my speeds down. Can anybody please help me? Thanks!!!

Originally posted by psynotic
Hey,

I just got a SMC 7004VBR router and when I installed it my download speeds are totally crap, but when my connection is just straight from cable modem to computer my connection is normal. It seems my router is slowing my speeds down. Can anybody please help me? Thanks!!!

I don't have anything specific for you, but you might want to try putting together the simplest possible network (cable modem -> router -> PC), disabling all the features on the router except those absolutely necessary for traffic to flow, and then start turning things back on one by one until you find what's causing the slowdown.

It might also be the cabling. Try new cat5e.

why bother with SMC when for the same price (or maybe a dollar or 2 more) you can get a Linksys, the definitave authority in routers. easiest to configure, stable as a rock, and do you ever hear someone complaining about speed issues with a Linksys? i think not.

(oops, is my opinion biased, I think so. Linksys is AWESOME)

No, you'd be complaining of it dropping out every 5 min, requiring the cables to be unplugged and replugged, or the router just not working at all, or DHCP failing... Yeah, Linksys rocks... right...

Cisco is the definitive maker of ANYTHING networking. Period. Get one of those. 3com isn't bad either.

Originally posted by lopoetve
No, you'd be complaining of it dropping out every 5 min, requiring the cables to be unplugged and replugged, or the router just not working at all, or DHCP failing... Yeah, Linksys rocks... right...

Cisco is the definitive maker of ANYTHING networking. Period. Get one of those. 3com isn't bad either.

This is where I point out that Cisco owns LinkSys. :D

well if u are sharing the connection your gunna have decreased speeds as the connection (cable I assume) is what 1.5Mbs? well take that 1.5Mbs divide it by computers

Or if u are just gunna have the connection for one computer get rid of the router

Originally posted by ChappyChaps11
well if u are sharing the connection your gunna have decreased speeds as the connection (cable I assume) is what 1.5Mbs? well take that 1.5Mbs divide it by computers

Or if u are just gunna have the connection for one computer get rid of the router

That's only if you are running some kind of controller on the bandwidth (ie: netlimiter) or all systems are loading the network to the max. If there are 10 computers on, and only one is actually doing anything, it'll get the full 1.5mbit.

Thanks for the replies guys! By the way i'm sharing my internet connection between two computers.

Back