Router Port Forwarding > Adding Service

JC724

Weaksauce
I am trying to set up a new service on my router which I will use for VPN setups and other stuff.

The Service name is PPTP

Service Type is TCP/UDP

Starting and Ending Ports are 1723.

But I can't seem to find a IP address to enter that will be accepted for the server IP address. How do I figure out which IP Address I can enter or is there a common range I can just pick from that will work??

If you jump to 3:50 of the video you will see what I am trying to do.

I'm confused - you are trying to setup a PPTP VPN server, but you don't know the IP address of the server that's hosting the PPTP?

First of all, why are you using PPTP? You should be using either IPSec or L2TP.

What are you trying to do? PPTP doesn't run on your router - this is a port forward which creates a rule that permits TCP/UDP ports 1723 on your firewall to an internal host and then performs NAT to the private IP address.

I hate videos. If you are trying to access a certain device inside your network, use the private address of the device. That is the point of port forwarding. Packets hitting the public IP of your edge device that match the service defined are forwarded to the internal private IP. Just make sure the internal device is properly secured and updated as it is now live on the Internet and subject to attacks.

If you are trying to securely access your router from the outside, there should be a "Allow management from the Internet" type screen.

Back