Router Open Firmware, Which One to Choose?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
How do I go about choosing an alternative firmware for a router I have?

It's a brand new TP LINK X55 DECO with 3 mesh capable routers. The only access to admin is a fucking stupid Android app that has almost zero options. There is a web based admin, but it has no changeable settings. it just has some basic information, like gateway address, etc. Furthermore, in order to use the Android app, TP Link forces you to create a cloud account and sign in and stay signed to use their garbage cell phone admin app.

For instance, there is no way to assign SSID's to both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. There is no option for channels in the 2.4 spectrum, and only two in the 5Ghz spectrum. QoS is a joke. It's just a shit admin system and even the routers I am thinking are shit, giving me a 2ms overhead instead of 0ms when pinged. I got these free for a review, and before I toss them in the electrical recycle box, I wanted to try a different firmware.

If it's brand new and that unsuitable to your needs just return it. No sense in trying to fight it to force it to conform to your needs.

AFAIK none of the open source options (e.g., OpenWRT, DD-WRT) support mesh hardware.

I'm guessing you might be better off with a separate router and APs. Or at the least a much more capable (i.e., expensive) mesh setup.

If it's brand new and that unsuitable to your needs just return it. No sense in trying to fight it to force it to conform to your needs.

AFAIK none of the open source options (e.g., OpenWRT, DD-WRT) support mesh hardware.

I'm guessing you might be better off with a separate router and APs. Or at the least a much more capable (i.e., expensive) mesh setup.
I'm seeing that. I didn't by it; It was a review item. I'm just astonished by the admin options and how there isn't even a web based PC admin option. It just seems a shame to toss it in the recycle bin. I mean, no separate SSID option for bands? WTF is that? Even in the lowest level Chinese routers, I've never seen that omission. These name brands are really putting out some garbage lately. I just reviewed a D-Link mesh system, and although the admin option is pretty well fleshed out, it has an average of 6ms overhead and up to 17ms on spikes. That's just unacceptable.

The best performance I've had with non-mesh, lower end routers is the Chinese Wavelink brand. Overhead always pings at 0ms and they have really nicely laid out and in depth Admin sections.

So, in the last two weeks, I've reviewed a D-Link Mesh system and this TP Link, and both are garbage. I'm not even testing the mesh capabilities, just using the routers as stand alone. If they actually pass my stand alone tests, then I'd be obliged to test the mesh aspects, too. But they can't even get pass the first overhead ping test, or basic admin options I consider bare necessities.

I jsut hate putting both of tehm brand enw in the recycle bin, but that's where they belong.

Let me just tell you as an residential IT installer those TP Link systems are awesome and perform well. I've installed them in many peoples homes. That being said, you're correct, the admin capabilities are nerfed severely on the unit.

If you want baddass routing and killer mesh features, you're going to need to get your own deal going.

I run pfsense on older desktop hardware for routing, and you're just not going to beat it. So many things you can do with it, it's insane. I run it at home and my company uses it as their firewall as well. Then use tplink omada access points if you want to save some cash, or if you can, get Unify access points and one of their controller deallios. People talk a lot of trash about Ubiquiti, but their WiFi gear is amazing. I've run Unify access points for almost ten years now and yet to see anyone get close for the money. Omada by TP Link is getting close, but they aren't there yet.

Let me just tell you as an residential IT installer those TP Link systems are awesome and perform well. I've installed them in many peoples homes. That being said, you're correct, the admin capabilities are nerfed severely on the unit.

If you want baddass routing and killer mesh features, you're going to need to get your own deal going.

I run pfsense on older desktop hardware for routing, and you're just not going to beat it. So many things you can do with it, it's insane. I run it at home and my company uses it as their firewall as well. Then use tplink omada access points if you want to save some cash, or if you can, get Unify access points and one of their controller deallios. People talk a lot of trash about Ubiquiti, but their WiFi gear is amazing. I've run Unify access points for almost ten years now and yet to see anyone get close for the money. Omada by TP Link is getting close, but they aren't there yet.
Any router 8' from my WiFi card in my computer pinging/polling more than 0-1ms is just not acceptable to me. I might live with 2ms, but why? The deal killer is admin and app only admin and forced to create a TP Link account plus be logged into it over TP Link servers to administer MY local router is just a show stopper for me. Also, I'm simply astounded there is no way to create SSIDs for both bands and use QoS to limit bandwidth for them. For instance, I have tablets that MUST be connected to 2.4 for IoT to work, but the idiotic TP system assigns the band automatically. That just unacceptable.

I just can't do apps vs my PC's 32" 3K monitor. I didn;t buy that monitor so I could work on a god damn cell phone. lol And even if I wanted to run Android apps on my Win 11 system, why? I've never seen an app that has options like a Win xx program. They're just dumbed down to the point of uselessness is you need more than stupid generic options. I watched one 'reviewer' go on and on about how cool the Android admin option to turn off the LED light was. I mean, what?

I don't even need mesh. I was just testing the routers in router mode. The D Link was the worst, adding up to 17ms of overhead. Trash. I mean I also tested a 45 dollar no Name Chinese AX router. Everything was great with it, loads of admin options, good, robust QoS, with bandwidth limiters per SSID, speed was fine, but it's overhead was 14-17ms. WTF? Just crappy chipsets.

I mean, why even have an admin section for browsers is it looks like this (fuckin' lolz):
WebBasedAdmin.jpg

pfsense sounds great, but it can't give me the ability to assign SSIDs to both 5 and 2.4 bands, and choose channels if I need them. I mean, really, no channel selections?

How do I go about choosing an alternative firmware for a router I have?

It's a brand new TP LINK X55 DECO with 3 mesh capable routers. The only access to admin is a fucking stupid Android app that has almost zero options. There is a web based admin, but it has no changeable settings. it just has some basic information, like gateway address, etc. Furthermore, in order to use the Android app, TP Link forces you to create a cloud account and sign in and stay signed to use their garbage cell phone admin app.

For instance, there is no way to assign SSID's to both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. There is no option for channels in the 2.4 spectrum, and only two in the 5Ghz spectrum. QoS is a joke. It's just a shit admin system and even the routers I am thinking are shit, giving me a 2ms overhead instead of 0ms when pinged. I got these free for a review, and before I toss them in the electrical recycle box, I wanted to try a different firmware.
This is why you research a device before buying it, check online reviews and how to manage it, sadly companies seem to think people want an insecure app on their phone to manage a device.

You would only use PFSense as your router to do the hard work. it is more secure and far more options. Then your AP's are just that, AP's you assign each one the same SSID and then adjust power as needed so devices fail between them.

Last edited:

i had an EAP245 and found the performance just crap on it, 2.4Ghz was 20Mb at most and 5Ghz unless i was clear looking at it, was barely 50Mb/s unless I was with in about 10ft direct line of sight, and i tested the crap out of them. Then go to my 2nd floor, standard wood construction home and performance was even worse.

This is why you research a device before buying it, check online reviews and how to manage it, sadly companies seem to think people want an insecure app on their phone to manage a device.

You would only use PFSense as your router to do the hard work. it is more secure and far more options. Then your AP's are just that, AP's you assign each one the same SSID and then adjust power as needed so devices fail between them.
Regardless, any router that come with sign in phone app only admin and no way to set SSIDs for freq bands, etc., is a totally failure to me. And, the 2ms overhead is 1+ms too much. It may be great for Sally and Danny who are impressed with an app option to turn off the LED, but other than that, it's just a generally no settings hardware system that data mines you in order to even use the Admin app. Ridiculous.

Regardless, any router that come with sign in phone app only admin and no way to set SSIDs for freq bands, etc., is a totally failure to me. And, the 2ms overhead is 1+ms too much. It may be great for Sally and Danny who are impressed with an app option to turn off the LED, but other than that, it's just a generally no settings hardware system that data mines you in order to even use the Admin app. Ridiculous.
Bingo, and we will see more and more of this as these makers cater to the avg joe blow, less options and you will like it kind of mentality.

Home consumer wifi has been, and always will be, totally shit and unfit for purpose.

Just cable your house up and never worry about latency ever again. Ever.

Personally, I've used Asus routers running Merlin for the last few years. The current AX5700 one I have has been great.

I live in an apartment. I can't just cable my house up.

Personally, I've used Asus routers running Merlin for the last few years. The current AX5700 one I have has been great.

I live in an apartment. I can't just cable my house up.

Powerline Ethernet adapters work great in places where you can't run hard lines. I like the TP Link variety, very few issues with them over the years.

Powerline Ethernet adapters work great in places where you can't run hard lines. I like the TP Link variety, very few issues with them over the years.

I haven't had much luck with them in the past due to disconnecting issues but I might try again.

I haven't had much luck with them in the past due to disconnecting issues but I might try again.

The only times I've had problems with them is when they weren't installed properly (ie. plugged into a power strip or plug multiplier instead of directly into a wall outlet), or if there was a problem with the mains in the house. Things like bad plugs, bad romex in the walls or if the house has a jack panel or multiple breaker panels where the plugs where the units are installed weren't physically connected to the same place.

I've inadvertently used them to uncover some very dangerous and very expensive electrical problems before. This one house I used them in, they never worked properly. They'd disconnect randomly, and the owners got an electrician over to look at their house only to discover the main electrical feed to the house from the pole was 100% corroded from end to end and burning the lugs out of the breaker box from the extreme heat. Fun stuff.

Definitely. The house I used them in was built in 1920 or something like that. Probably why it didn't work right.

If you have a house with solid coax, I'd go with MOCA any day over powerline. MOCA is deployed by ISPs and individuals alike for a reason, it just works.

Home consumer wifi has been, and always will be, totally shit and unfit for purpose.

Just cable your house up and never worry about latency ever again. Ever.
It's fit for a purpose. Just not the one that anyone on this thread wants.

It's designed to make it impossible for Joe Moron to screw up and render their internet unusable.

With consumer level mesh hardware the entire selling point is that "It just works out of the box, you don't have to do anything to configure it."

Back