Router/Modem with same IP address help needed.

I'm about to switch ISP and the equipment they gave me is a fiber optic modem with an IP address of 192.168.1.1. My current DSL modem, a Netgear DGND3700, is 192.168.0.1, which I use with a Netgear WNDR4500 router, which is on 192.168.1.1 at the moment. What to do when I install the new fiber box? Change the router to 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.2.1? Or something else?

So the new modem has router functions to it? Just log in to the web GUI of the new modem and turn off all router functions and change local IP to 1.1 and see if you can put the modem is pass through (doubt it but worth a try).

It's a Calix 836GE. It's used for TV service too, so I think only one of the 4 ports is configured for internet anyway. I'm not too concerned about double NAT, as I have that on my current set-up with no problems, so setting it to pass-through isn't really a priority: I'd set it to pass-through before, but doing that lost me the ability to accurately see the link speed between me and my ISP on the modem, which was a problem because the company was crap and the speed kept dropping, and I needed the info to hassle them with. I'd poked around a bit earlier online looking for answers, and there seems to be a difference between which number you change (the second last or last digit) depending on the subnet mask used, which is why I was wondering if I needed to change my router to 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.2.1, and let it's DHCP take care of the rest. I *may* have a problem with my NAS drive with new settings too. I'd overridden the DHCP settings and set it to 192.168.1.73, but then set it back to DHCP, and it still sets it to 73 with DHCP. I know you can use ipconfig with the release and renew switches for the pc to reset it's IP on the home network, but is there a way to do this for all connected devices?

First, you have to change the modem's IP and subnet mask (eg: 172.16.0.0 / 255.255.0.0). Next, on the modem, enable DMZ for the Netgear WNDR4500 router. This will pass the IP address issued from your ISP directly to your router.

Ask them if the modem support Bridge Mode. If it does, it will pass all internet routing information to your router. If it doesn't, then you will have to use DMZ to force all unassigned traffic to your router in a Double NAT setup. Since you're using their modem for TV service as well, change the subnet on your modem. They use 192.168.1.1, change your router to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1 (change the third number to something besides 1).

If your modem doesn't support bridge mode, screw double NAT an configure your Netgear as an access point. There might even be an option to do this under advanced in the Netgear Genie gui.

Installed everything today, it was all very well-behaved. I had manually changed the router to 192.168.1.2, but when I pllugged everything back in, the router automatically reassigned itself to 10.0.0.1 and all other devices accordingly. I don't mind the double NAT, I'd rather leave it as is and be able to access the modem without having to swap cables around. Thanks for the advice!

Back