Router for mostly Mac Setup?

Teecee

Gawd
I need to setup a network for a friend that is buying a Mac Pro and a Mac Book Pro. The MBP will be wireless and the MB will be wired. I have messed with Airport Exteremes a bit but was wondering is their any advantages of using an airport extreme over a linksys router or something like that. I do like the fact that the Airport has a USB port to share a printer. That is a perk but not a must. So some of you experienced mac users give me the heads up on why I should use the Airport over another solution.

One of the advantages is AirDisk sharing. If you connect a hard drive, you can format it to HFS+, use special characters, password protect it and have it show up in the Finder.

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons why I would recommend the AirPort Extreme over a cheaper router. The Asus AL-500W has more features (sans AirDisk support, so drive sharing it a bitch) and it's cheaper.

One of the advantages is AirDisk sharing. If you connect a hard drive, you can format it to HFS+, use special characters, password protect it and have it show up in the Finder.

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons why I would recommend the AirPort Extreme over a cheaper router. The Asus AL-500W has more features (sans AirDisk support, so drive sharing it a bitch) and it's cheaper.

Never heard of this Asus AL-500W. Can you point me in the right direction?

Typo, sorry. It's the WL-500W.

There are other routers available too. You might want to do some research to see if you're printer is compatible with sharing (my father's HP printer isn't) and the router itself (some have problems, while others don't). It's up in the air with each router you look at.

I have the AEBS (airport extreme base station ;) ) and would recommend it to pretty much anyone. It is a bit more expensive, but it's feature rich (printer sharing, airdisk, gigabit, etc), has fantastic range and most of all- ease of use. The airport utility provides an extremely easy setup (which includes setting up a secure network easily) for "new" computer users and retains accessibility to all the advanced stuff for "power" users.

...can you tell I like my router? :p

Back