router/dsl/dhcp question...

[DA]shorty

Limp Gawd
sum1 help, i just setup my moms new computer, everything was working fine, then i leave to go back home across the country and she calls me and says her internet isnt working... i try to get her to ipconfig it and /release and /renew but when she trys to release the ip she gets this:::

all adapters bound to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses the addresses were automatically configured and cannot be released.

the other computer that is on the same router is working fine, with the same configuration i setup....

the only other thing i had her check was that her TCP/IP settings in windows were all set to automatic (IP and DNS)

normally i would just puts on her computer until i figured it out, but im across the country, and dont know what to do.

ooo yeah, the setup is (2) win2k computers on a linksys router, nothing fancy just file sharing and DSL.

Thanks

Shot in the dark but worth the shot. Go get Spybot, update the definitions and run it. I had a user a couple of weeks ago that could not get an IP. I tooled around and was ready to reload, gave spybot a shot just to see what I'd find and about half way through the app asked if it could "repair my network settings". Let it and it fixed the problem. Beyond that, removing TCP/IP and probably the NIC as well, then letting windows pick the NIC back up.

Back