Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASUS RT-N16 $92.00

• D-Link DGL-4500 $114.99

• Total voters

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm really wanting to spend no more than $100, but I'm willing to spend $150 if it's worth it.
Uses:
- Wired PC for internet, youtube, and occasional gaming
- Wireless laptop for web surfacing (facebook, myspace, slickdeals, etc)
- Streaming via SONY BDV-E570 (mainly netflix streaming. will be used wired)
- Xbox 360 LIVE (rarely use, but will be used wired)

I just bought a Sony KDL-46HX800 46" tv, so the girlfriend will definitely want to stream netflix movies here and there. Might do some HD movies here and there too. I had a Netgear WGR614, but it's dead. So far the routers that have my attention are:

D-Link DIR-655 $69.99
BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH $79.99
ASUS RT-N16 $92.00
D-Link DGL-4500 $114.99
NETGEAR WNDR37AV $149.99

I really like how the D-Link DGL-4500 looks, but scared of the reviews I seen. The Netgear WNDR37AV looks awesome, but the price is way more than I want to spend. Is it really worth it for what I'll be using it for? The other 3 have nice prices, but are they good?

If I didn't list something recommend it please. I plan on buying this online tomorrow afternoon (9/20), but will wait a day or two for more feedback if needed.

I have no idea what any of the makes and models mean, but:

If you're moving media around on your network, you definitely want to go with gigabit Ethernet (1000Base-T), so make sure that whatever you buy supports that. If you're looking to do this on the cheap I'd suggest a $50 router and a $50 switch, which is what I'm doing, but note that if I'm going to have huge difficulty streaming from a wireless device, should I ever choose to (which I wont).

But quite frankly, that doesn't look like your concern, so why not just go with a single-channel Wireless N enabled 100megabit switch, which can usually be found for ~$50?

I don't know much about routers, which is why I'm asking for help. I don't know if the $100 router will perform better than the cheap $50 router. I don't know anything about switches, so I'll have to look into that. I do prefer to spend less, but just want to make sure I'm getting something good. I never had problems with my WGR614, but since I'm buying a new router I rather spend a little more.

I'll definitely be moving media on the network, so I'll have to look at the routers to see if they support the 1000Base-T.

Back