router bad? losing internet connection every 10-20 minutes

cablepro

Limp Gawd
Hi

I'm hoping some of you have seen this before.

I have 3 windows xp computers connected to a 10/100 switch, which is connected to a linksys BEFS11 router, which is connected to the cable modem.

Our IP is dynamic from the cable company (roadrunner), and the linksys is set to obtain it automatically. The computers are set to obtain IP's automatically from the router, which they do fine.

If I run ipconfig /all from either computer, it shows the ip address for the computer, the router's lan ip shows as the default gateway, and it has 3 DNS addresses from roadrunner 25.xx.xxx.xx, etc.

It started knocking my internet connection down about a month ago. It started out about every week, and then every day, and now every 10-20 minutes.

The only way I can get the internet connection back up again is if I unplug the cable modem and the router...wait a few seconds, and plug them back in...then if a wait a couple minutes, I"ll have internet again. But of course, 20 minutes or less, and it'll drop again.

Someone suggested I try no-ip.com and setup an account and get their dynamic update client. I did this, and it has shown no effect.

Any ideas, please?

Plug one of your machines directly into the cable modem, if the problem still occurs it's the cable modem, if it doesn't, it's the router. Pretty simple to troubleshoot.

Yeh, the internet works fine without the router.

I did some searching on dslreports and found an angry mob of linksys router owners with the same problem I'm experiencing.

Any recommendations on a wireless 4 port router (2.4GHz)?

I'm looking at the Netgear MR814...any experience with this?

My router is doing something simliar, im bout to just pop a machine up to act as a router

Originally posted by cablepro
I'm looking at the Netgear MR814...any experience with this?
Got one for my girlfriends house cuz it was cheap after rebate. No probs so far. And probably the EASIEST router setup I've ever done. Web-Interface is designed nicely as well. And I think it packs more features than are commonly found on most routers.

Then again, my Linksys works fine for my network. Dont know if u've tried it, but u might wanna upgrade or downgrade the firmware. I've hear reports of certain releases doing weird things.

My router did something similar a while back. Turned out bout half my bellsouth lines were running through an underground auquifer

Hey cablepro, It sounds like we're having nearly the same problem. My set-up involves a DSL modem and wireless router from Linksys.

I really began running into problems when I started using port forwarding on the wireless router. I don't know what the issue is, but I'm ready to throw either it or the modem out the bloody window.

Keep us posted on whether the new router works or not...

Linksys should just plain be marked as a bad router... i have had the internet drop thing, all the time.
Older firmware, and newer firmware.. it still crashes.

I had this problem, and it was due to a virus that spammed the hell out of the outgoing connection and the router couldn't handle it. Make sure you've got all the windows updates, spyware, antivirus stuff, firewall setup, etc.

my linksys did the same thing. linksys routers are crap, i had 2 routers crap out on me. The 3rd port magically stopped working with the first, and this internet time out thing on the second.

I just bought a 3Com router, couldn't say anything bad about it.

this problem i believe is caused by the router passing bogus dns replies to clients. the best way to solve this is to statically assign ip addresses to the pcs and add your ISP's dns servers in the dns server list, rather then the routers ip address, or, setup a dns server inside your network and have them point to that. i have experienced this same trouble with both netgear and linksys routers. now i use a pc with smoothwall.

edit: since you say the pc works fine without the router, i'm willing to bet my solution will fix your problem.

It isn't always a DNS issue. I have the same problem with a number of version 1 BEFSR11/41s in this neighborhood which I setup for cable back in 1998-99. Problems started after the Comcast switchover last year and have been getting steadily worse. I get this problem more than others and I already run static IPs with an internal DNS issue. Just this week I spoke with linksys tech support for a good hour about what the root of the issue was and they didn't have a whole lot of answers. Their suggestions were:

1) Upgrade firmware to latest (anything above 1.44.2 on 1.0/1.1 routers causes random disconnects; i.e. a web page stops loading halfway because all the connections were reset to that machine, a file stops downloading because same)
2) Force MTU setting to 1500 or whatever tests good (already tried this, but it does help some users)
3) Do a proper reset of the router (press reset, hold 30 seconds, unplug while still holding reset for 15 seconds, plug back in, continue to hold reset until 10 seconds after power restored)
4) Buy a new router because they get old and wear out (these units are 5 years old)

The suggestions on DSLreports are similar, though with three others I've not checked yet:
5) Open the router and check for blown capacitors
6) Open the router and blow it out with an aircan (apparently the small vent holes get clogged and can cause overheating)
7) Replace the power brick

Back