Rouge access point SBS 2003 Question

65Kfosta

Weaksauce
So somone on one of our networks plugged a dlink router in and assigned a static ip address to it causing one of our main printers not to work. I was wondering in SBS 2003 is there a way to force release of this address or to exclude the dlink router from network access.

Thanks Kyle

If he's set the router with a static IP, your DHCP server doesn't have any say in the matter so no. If you've got managed switches you can disable the port he's connected it to (or just find out which port and go yell at him/get him fired/etc).

Thats what i thought just wasnt sure. Guess i will be just sending out a kind email lol

Thanks

how many PC's/printers? if its a few, you could change your IP scheme over the weekend if you can touch (reboot) each of the devices so that they get a new IP

If it's SBS, it can be assumed you have a fairly small network (since SBS only goes up to 75 users). Thus can be assumed you can spend 15 minutes and walk around the office, find it, unplug it, yell at the user telling them how much chaos they caused.

Yeah thats what im planning to do im just out of town currently so it will have to wait a week. Really pisses me off when people think they can do what ever they want

If you have some decent switches you can run things that catch rogue DHCP servers. Or you could run port security and only allow certain MACs.

Back