Rotten Tomatoes Bans "Want to See" Score, User Comments before Films' Release

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The world’s most popular review aggregator for film and television has announced it is making two significant changes to its website: Rotten Tomatoes will no longer show the “Want to See” percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period, nor will it allow comments prior to a movie’s release date. Many are convinced this decision was prompted by the recent review bombing of “Captain Marvel,” but Paul Yanover, president of Fandango, which owns the RT, claims that had nothing to do with it. Yanover is a former Disney executive.

According to Rotten Tomatoes’ official statement, it eliminated the Want to See percentage score because it was sometimes confused with the Audience Score (submitted by those who have seen the movie), which is also represented as a percentage. There’s likely another reason Rotten Tomatoes wants to discourage negative buzz for movies ahead of their release: The site is part of NBCUniversal’s Fandango, which acquired the movie-ranking site in 2016 from Warner Bros. — and negative comments and lower “Want to See” scores, whether those are from trolls or anyone else, may depress pre-release ticket sales.

the trolls are bombing movies months before they release can affect a movies bottom line

I honestly just think we've hit saturation with Marvel movies.

The best bet would have been to use established players from previous movies to end this cycle and use her as the cornerstone for the next set of movies.

I know I'm fatigued and I'm the primary audience. It has nothing to do with some chick smiling or not.

I know I need to see this movie before Avengers #27234123213 but I just can't seem to get excited.

Another case of people getting triggered and outraged. This has no liberal/conservative restriction other than what specifically triggers.

Not review bombed but same principle, behavior.

An actor made a very poorly worded comment about a completely different movie.

I don't think it is "troll" behavior so much as it is "triggered" and group think and internet kick up dust for views behavior.

The "Want to See" score was dropping because of Brie Larson disenfranchising the movie's key demographic. Funny how that works. :whistle:
the main actor telling the main audience not to watch will do that too...

I don't often follow movie news... does she think the movie is so bad she's telling people not to see it?

I don't often follow movie news... does she think the movie is so bad she's telling people not to see it?

It's not completed limited to just what Brie Larson has said, some of which is a bit cringey. But there are a slew of SJW sites and writers who are also picking up the banner and running with it.
My man Young Rippa has a pretty good video on the preheirpal noise that is also affecting the movie

Last edited:
FUCK BREE AND THIS MOVIE! And they weren't reviews! they were want to see or not want to see score.Site is lame anyhow any was Just as bad as Fandago! Go look at time for other movies playing when Cap Marvel opens,THERE ISNT ANY

They had to use a butt-double.
rpz9ssapd2n11.jpg

fa3-jpg.145514

Last edited:
ROFL What Brie Larson was responding to was her press junkets. She wanted to know why some of the fanzines weren't given invites to the press conferences. Is that so awful? If a bunch of entitled cry boys want to speak up about the owie they got from the internet, they should at least know what the topic is. Especially after all the bullshit they were spewing about how her version of Captain Marvel doesn't look as sexy as the comic books or as sexy as Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, good grief, you can't have it both ways, if you act like a shit to someone they're gonna punch back. Brie Larson isn't sexy enough to be Captain Marvel? Really? Someone as beautiful as Brie Larson isn't sexy enough for you? How toxic is that?

P.S. Even funnier is that the women defending her comments don't know what she was talking about, either.

P.P.S. My god, you aren't man enough to take one little punch from the internet? From the girl who isn't sexy enough to play Captain Marvel? How snowflake is that?

Last edited:
welcome to the new day and age of online trolls making something bad before even seeing it because they dont like something about it. Granted some movies and games are going to be bad, but some do not deserve the negativity (Metro Exodus). So I understand why.

I honestly just think we've hit saturation with Marvel movies.

The best bet would have been to use established players from previous movies to end this cycle and use her as the cornerstone for the next set of movies.

I know I'm fatigued and I'm the primary audience. It has nothing to do with some chick smiling or not.

I know I need to see this movie before Avengers #27234123213 but I just can't seem to get excited.
Don't think so. Avengers will make bank this year. This chick just belittle and told Marvel's core audience to fuck off. I was going to go see it opening weekend and like most were turned off by her actions.bi hope it bombs hard.

ROFL What Brie Larson was responding to was her press junkets. She wanted to know why some of the fanzines weren't given invites to the press conferences. Is that so awful? If a bunch of entitled cry boys want to speak up about the owie they got from the internet, they should at least know what the topic is. And after all the bullshit about how her version of Captain Marvel doesn't look as sexy as the comic books or as sexy as Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, good grief, you can't have it both ways, if you act like a shit to someone they're gonna punch back. Brie Larson isn't sexy enough to be Captain Marvel? Really? How toxic is that?

P.S. Even funnier is that the women defending her comments don't know what she was talking about, either.

P.P.S. My god, you aren't man enough to take one little punch from the internet? From the girl who isn't sexy enough to play Captain Marvel? How snowflake is that?

When they have "dad bods" in the next magic mike movie I'll go see this one.

ROFL What Brie Larson was responding to was her press junkets. She wanted to know why some of the fanzines weren't given invites to the press conferences. Is that so awful? If a bunch of entitled cry boys want to speak up about the owie they got from the internet, they should at least know what th

Yeah, the amount of butthurt over her disliking that her press junkets were 97% white male is pretty indicative of how broken society has become. She specifically said that she didn't hate white men, just that she wanted historically marginalized viewpoints represented.

Reminds me of Netflix abandoning their 5/5 stars rating system for a thumbs up/ down after Amy the cow shuemer's liberal comedy special was released. it was little to no stars so netflix (leftist ran company) did away with the stars system. It's hilarious whether you're left or right politically, anyone who tries to censor free speech is the real enemy.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...ap-five-star-ratings-amy-schumer-controversy/

&

https://movieweb.com/netflix-cancels-5-star-rating-system/

So they're getting rid of the most useless metric on the site? #yawn

Let's move beyond the butt hurt and just wait for the movie. Then judge it based on its merits. Folks seem way to uptight these days

We should be uptight, spiderman has a better looking ass than a woman.

I'm so entirely drained by the endless series of wing nut outrages at this point, there are more important things in life than yet another Marvel movie.

The funny thing about all this is that some executives are acting like they've never used the internet before ... OMG they troll on teh interwebz???

Back