Rosewill VALENS-700 700W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Rosewill VALENS-700 700W Power Supply Review - While Rosewill is likely not a go-to computer power supply brand to most people, we have been surprised with Rosewill's quality on two of its PSUs over the last couple of years. Today we review an $80 700 watt Rosewill unit that is rated for Gold efficiency, and well ... that is about all that marketing has to say about its Valens-700.

This is just another example of how that 80 plus logo on the box just isn't important. The certification being based only on efficiency just doesn't provide a meaningful measure of quality.

Reactions: ecktt
like this
Loved the historical references in the review (I'm an ancient/medieval history enthusiast). Guess the guys at Rosewill were pretty accurate (too accurate?) for choosing the name "Valens", since Adrianople was a huge disaster that never needed to happen in the first place. ;)

When I was shopping for PSUs a few months ago, I kept seeing the Valens series for excellent prices. They were very tempting, but because of the lack of reviews, I passed it up and paid $30 or so more for a Seasonic.

It looks like I made the right choice. Thank you for the review!

Despite great prices and specs, I've always viewed Rosewill PSU's with suspicion. Thanks for confirming my opinion.

Just like Corsair, Rosewill uses different manufactures for each product line. My Rosewill Hercules was made by High Power and is amazing, the reviewed power supply was made by ATNG which have a lot of trash floating around. I would not write off all their lines for 1 bad one.

Reactions: ecktt
like this
Just like Corsair, Rosewill uses different manufactures for each product line. My Rosewill Hercules was made by High Power and is amazing, the reviewed power supply was made by ATNG which have a lot of trash floating around. I would not write off all their lines for 1 bad one.

Agreed, I have the Rosewill Capstone in a rig that's pushing its limits with a +1.2gHZ overclock and multiple drives/SLI, a Rosewill Hive pushing a 2500K and 980 both overclocked, and recently used a Rosewill Arc in a build that's going strong, I was shocked to skip to the last page and see the [H] X FAIL, don't know if I've ever seen one!

I passed it up and paid $30 or so more for a Seasonic.

It looks like I made the right choice.

The last four Rosewill reviews at JonnyGuru.com had scores of 8.1, 7.8, 9.2 & 7.5; the last four Seasonic reviews received scores of 9.1, 9.5, 9.2 & 9.6.

I think you also made "the right choice"!!

What surprised me with this PSU, is that it passed the Transient Load Testing, but failed at the ripple measurements.
I can't recall something similar in the past. Statistically speaking (*if i'm not mistaken), if a unit fails at ripple, it is very likely to fail at Transient as wello_O

From the soldering on backside of the primary PCB and use of Teapo capacitors, I thought this unit was going to end-up as DNF. Surprised me how the PSU was holding-up through the tests. Then whack! the PSU dropped like condemned building when the explosions went off.

Thanks for taking the time put this review together. I'm sending the front page link off to a few people I know who thought their Rosewell PSU purchase was a smart investment. :)

Back