Rosewill 2 port DisplayPort KVM Switch $49.99

Keep in mind it says it only supports up to DP1.1, so if you are trying to share a gaming monitor with 2 pcs you might not find it such a good deal.

Keep in mind it says it only supports up to DP1.1, so if you are trying to share a gaming monitor with 2 pcs you might not find it such a good deal.

The worst thing about DP has been that
1. There are no good, reliable switches at a reasonable price
2. There is no compatibility with AVR gear even though HDMI is a subset of DP

Thanks for the heads up - I'd love a DP switch, but I gave up on the idea a long time ago.

The worst thing about DP has been that
1. There are no good, reliable switches at a reasonable price
2. There is no compatibility with AVR gear even though HDMI is a subset of DP

Thanks for the heads up - I'd love a DP switch, but I gave up on the idea a long time ago.

https://connectpro.com/product/udp2-14ap-kit-4-port-usb-dual-displayport-kvm-switch/

That should take care of #1 once the supply constraint is over. Complaint 2 is 100% invalid assuming you're using correct equipment which is I'm guessing is not the case. When mixing DP and HDMI you must understand the difference between source and destination as this makes a HUGE difference in what cables/adapters you must use. HDMI to DP is completely different than DP to HDMI and will require different gear. Direction absolutely matters and some of the gear is not exactly inexpensive.

https://connectpro.com/product/udp2-14ap-kit-4-port-usb-dual-displayport-kvm-switch/

That should take care of #1 once the supply constraint is over. Complaint 2 is 100% invalid assuming you're using correct equipment which is I'm guessing is not the case. When mixing DP and HDMI you must understand the difference between source and destination as this makes a HUGE difference in what cables/adapters you must use. HDMI to DP is completely different than DP to HDMI and will require different gear. Direction absolutely matters and some of the gear is not exactly inexpensive.

I'm saying, you should be able to buy an AVR with DP inputs and use it as a pass through audio device for a high resolution, high frame rate monitor.

I moved past kvm switches years ago to rdp and vnc. That won't work for anything that is high performance/framerate to the screen, but for everything else it works great. I will have my 16 port cybex, but I use it mainly when I'm working on computers since I need multiple physical machines to fix each other.

I'm saying, you should be able to buy an AVR with DP inputs and use it as a pass through audio device for a high resolution, high frame rate monitor.

Convince an OEM that has already seen their market decimated by cheap shitty soundbars that there is market, there isn't, and they will build one.

I moved past kvm switches years ago to rdp and vnc. That won't work for anything that is high performance/framerate to the screen, but for everything else it works great. I will have my 16 port cybex, but I use it mainly when I'm working on computers since I need multiple physical machines to fix each other.

Also doesn't work on devices that don't belong to you and do not allow for such things to be installed. Nor for devices that spend 95% of their uptime connected to VPNs that do not allow split tunneling. :)

That's $699. I hardly find that to be in the "reasonably priced" category for home use. At that price, I can just swap the input of the monitor manually and use just the USB inputs of a cheap KVM.

I use the cheap 2/4 port usb2/usb3 switches for keyboard mouse & usb audio/storage. I then use multiple inputs on my monitor for "switching". Works great and the total "kvm" solution is under $50 and works flawlessly.

That's $699. I hardly find that to be in the "reasonably priced" category for home use. At that price, I can just swap the input of the monitor manually and use just the USB inputs of a cheap KVM.
I've been doing that for a several months now and am beyond done with it. It sounds simple. Make no mistake it is simple. It is not quick or convenient. Multiply that by 100X/day and pretty soon you'd sooner suck a donkey. :) Happily paid and on the waiting list.

well that might explain why when switching the dell monitor to the dell PC the monitor must be powered off and back on again. with corona my mother was sent home with her work desktop which was an USFF dell pc, very similar to her home use HP USFF ryzen pc. the solution there for to her have access to her pc and the work pc was a $73 dollar iogear DP KVM, wish this sale was going on when I dropped that $$

well that might explain why when switching the dell monitor to the dell PC the monitor must be powered off and back on again. with corona my mother was sent home with her work desktop which was an USFF dell pc, very similar to her home use HP USFF ryzen pc. the solution there for to her have access to her pc and the work pc was a $73 dollar iogear DP KVM, wish this sale was going on when I dropped that $$
I would have just enabled rdp on her home system and just connect to it from her work system.

I would have just enabled rdp on her home system and just connect to it from her work system.

Supposedly they are required to logout or shutdown at the end of the shift. also that company uses sooooooooo much software. i've never seen that many icons. there's no way i'd do any of my banking or bills over that. i already know one of them is Zoom. i also don't trust that there isn't any type of monitoring software.

I've been doing that for a several months now and am beyond done with it. It sounds simple. Make no mistake it is simple. It is not quick or convenient. Multiply that by 100X/day and pretty soon you'd sooner suck a donkey. :) Happily paid and on the waiting list.

I guess it depends on the monitor you're using, because on my Alienware ultrawide monitor, you can set custom shortcuts to the buttons, so I have DP and HDMI set to two dedicated buttons for quick switching between my work and personal computer at home with a $20 USB switch/button right next to it to switch my KB&M over as well. So no toggling through inputs or messing with menus at all. Works well enough for me to save the $100+ I'd need for a decent DP/HDMI KVM (to support newer DP/HDMI standards at least) to save that extra button press and 2 seconds of time when I switch over.

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong person, meant to quote Nicklebon.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the monitor you're using, because on my Alienware ultrawide monitor, you can set custom shortcuts to the buttons, so I have DP and HDMI set to two dedicated buttons for quick switching between my work and personal computer at home with a $20 USB switch/button right next to it to switch my KB&M over as well. So no toggling through inputs or messing with menus at all. Works well enough for me to save the $100+ I'd need for a decent DP/HDMI KVM (to support newer DP/HDMI standards at least) to save that extra button press and 2 seconds of time when I switch over.

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong person, meant to quote Nicklebon.

If I only had 2 devices and a single head certainly. I am juggling dual heads across 4 systems per desk. :(

Back