Rosewill 1600W Power Supply is $109.99

Rosewill PSU horror stories have prevented me from using one in a main PC. Does anyone know the OEM that makes these Hercules models?

That such a big PSU weighs only 7.7lbs (5.5 according to Amazon) is scary.

Last edited:
Yeah, good price for a 1600w psu, but I haven't had anything but bad luck with them. Always stick to Corsair or EVGA these days.

that discount on newegg was actually $80 off over the weekend (bringing price to ~$80..
"normal" price was $159.99 at that time iirc), I was considering buying one but the reviews frightened me

that discount on newegg was actually $80 off over the weekend (bringing price to ~$80..
"normal" price was $159.99 at that time iirc), I was considering buying one but the reviews frightened me

Compare other brands 1600w supplies just on price. This one is cheaper at retail price than the others are even when they are on sale. Speaks volumes.

Compare other brands 1600w supplies just on price. This one is cheaper at retail price than the others are even when they are on sale. Speaks volumes.
aka 'you get what you pay for' (y)

It's kind of what I learned about 'third party' brands like walmart's 'great value' which is actually a great ripoff. Generally there's a 50% markup in almost anything to be able to deliver it to market with enough profit leftover for the manufacturer (which is less than 10%). So when Pillsbury makes a cookie dough that costs $2, about $1 is the production cost. Now, when walmart makes their $1.50 cookie dough, they'are actually spending around 50 cents and then just marking it up even higher because their product gets associated with the higher quality $2 product from Pillsbury if they do so. And most people fall for this, buying a seriously inferior product for much too high of a markup. It's one of the reasons all the stores are now pushing their 'house brands'.

I learned this when I owned an auto parts warehouse. I'd see parts for literally 1/4 the cost of oem (factory) and while they looked similar, it was a night and day difference. And yet, we'd sell these for a 20% 'discount' on the factory part. Sure it's good enough for business, but if you really wanted something fixed to last, it was better to get all factory parts.

Same thing happens in power supplies. And then there's ones like this one that only mark up 50% and are cheaper than even the wholesale cost of other well known/better made marques. This tells you a lot about the corners cut inside the box. I just hope they still left all the overvoltage and fire protection stuff in there. :eek:

Unless you're powering two seperate builds in one case, what in the world still needs these kind of power requirements?!? The days of quad SLi and and 32nm hex core power hungry CPUs are mostly over.

Unless you're powering two seperate builds in one case, what in the world still needs these kind of power requirements?!? The days of quad SLi and and 32nm hex core power hungry CPUs are mostly over.
People still run multi card solutions for rendering and stuff. There a guy on here posted a threadripper build with 4 Titan V for medical imaging or something. But yes when you dropping $15k on a system I hope you not skimping with a cheapo psu.

Back