Rosewill 1 gig strips PC3200 90 bucks shipped!

Apallohadas said:
Now, I just received mine in the mail yesterday, and ONE strip was a dead strip, so I have 2 gigs of mixed ram in there at the moment, but I'm RMAing it today.

Good ram if you want 2 gigs of cheap stuff.
Erm... It's 3-4-4 if that's what you were asking. Otherwise I'd ask ye to be more specific.

quasimodem said:
How bad is this ram?

QM
Thats a loaded question :p

Certain platforms don't suffer from higher timings. Now its up to you to research your platform ;)

I bought one stick of Rosewill PC3200 awhile back and also had to RMA it.

This isnt that hot considering you can get:

Two 512MB sticks of Pqi PC3200 for $81.16 shipped
or
Two 512MB sticks of V-DATA PC3200 for $78.16 shipped

both CAS 2.5

It's good for the price considering it's a 1GB stick. If you're looking for much overclocking you'd be going 2x512 anyway, so this stuff is for quantity over speed, thus good enough for government work. It's for making 2GB-4GB in a system, not for getting the tightest timings / highest clocks.

AMD T-type said:
I bought one stick of Rosewill PC3200 awhile back and also had to RMA it.

This isnt that hot considering you can get:

Two 512MB sticks of Pqi PC3200 for $81.16 shipped
or
Two 512MB sticks of V-DATA PC3200 for $78.16 shipped

both CAS 2.5
And how do you get 4x512 strips into a 3 slot board? Right! 1 gig strips it is then.

People give up timings for capacity (2 gigs) all the time... what's really important (make or break) is if these still allow you to pull off 1T. Quite frankly guys, 4 * 512 will often make you lose performance on A64's even if it's TCCD, BH5 or whatever. Do new hot rigs exist without being A64's? :p: So the deal is worth considering. Going 512 to 1Gb can cost you benchie points too... anything to avoid the page file stu stu stuttering in games. If you need the capacity, all kinds of different scenarios exist. ;)

If you have paging problems in apps you use, then your comp will feel faster no matter what timing you give up. Maybe even 2T... but gosh as a performance freak, I just want to keep that. Right now a gig is the best of both worlds for most. All of us with 1GB, we all need it, wouldn't go back to 512 even though we made the same choice. Someone else might need this.

WTF do you need 2GB for in gaming anyway? 2x512 with a decent system config is plenty, and if you have pagefile problems stick it on a different controller than the drive you're running the game from. Seriously. :p

WoW has shown improvements above 1GB. IIRC EQ2 does as well. I photochop, so I certainly would benefit from having 2GB out side of gaming.

ashmedai said:
WTF do you need 2GB for in gaming anyway? 2x512 with a decent system config is plenty, and if you have pagefile problems stick it on a different controller than the drive you're running the game from. Seriously. :p

All I'm saying is there are different audiences for different capacities. Someone could post in a 2*512 thread that 2*256 sticks OC better. Guess what? They'd be right. But I know I need a gig... so who f'ing cares.

Everyone seems to think every thread is about them.... their rig, their needs. There are more points in there too... like how 4*512 is very often a poor alternative. Unless doubling up was not what was meant by the 2*512 links... but again how would that be relevant to here.

And the controller/page file thing... excuse me for saying so sir, but you don't know what the fuck you are talking about or are certainly explaining it very crappy. Put the page file on a different IDE controller than the game? Big whoop. 1GB is not enough for everybody alright... oh why didnt I think of your miracle solution and I could have stayed on 2*256.

canislupy said:
WoW has shown improvements above 1GB. IIRC EQ2 does as well. I photochop, so I certainly would benefit from having 2GB out side of gaming.

Yeah, WoW does, especially when hearthing in or just logging in.
I tried 2 X 1GB of RAM, but i prefer my tight timings Corsair 2 X 512 with overclock.

I have the 2GB in a dual xeon system setup for mulimedia editing and such. Quantity over speed in that case.

Channel not controller, but other than that since it doesn't look like I bothered trying to explain the intricacies of pagefile configuration AT ALL, I don't see how you could make an informed and rational judgement.

There are times when 2GB or more is helpful, gaming is usually not one of them. WoW is damn near the only exception and if someone was building a WoW rig I'd point it out as an option. Normally for a gaming rig though it's not the best way to go. Even for WoW I don't know exactly how much of an improvement it provides, just that it "sometimes does".

Anyway this isn't a configuration thread, it's not a WoW thread, it's a thread about a good price on 1GB DDR modules. So how about [/hijack] and tell me how you think this'd compare to the stuff Newegg's peddling by Patriot. This stuff is pretty cheap, but what % difference do you think it would mean?

^ The patriot 2*1Gb stuff looks better but you can't be sure. Most of the time no one advertizes 1T or 2T. Thats why I think it's the biggest thing that matters to SOMEONE who might need 2GB. It's not my position to say who does or does not. But when going for 2*1Gb, best benchies go out the window, but you still care about speed somewhat, you pick your battles. IMO you'll never notice the 4's instead of 3's or 2's but 1T vrs. 2T is much more measurable. If the patriots are 1T then spend the extra cash. I'm grasping here. You didnt list so Im going into my infinite databank of hardware postings out and about.

It's really the biggest thing to look for to maintain some speed. I think all this other crap is a dead horse. Oh the timings go down the crapper... no kidding. Don't need to see that all the time. Some people like to post it over and over. Might as well tell me the sky is blue. I only mention the 1T 2T even because people seem to think 512 sticks are an alternative to what this thread offers and that's hooey.

I feel like I posted a thread about a deal on Ferraris and some of you are saying "I don't like cars. I like Motorcycles."

If *YOU* are not looking for 1 gig strips, then quite obviously these aren't for you. If *YOU* happen to have a 754 board that has 4 slots for memory, then Whoopdefriggindoo because I didn't find one when I was looking.

I completely realize that not everyone wants, nor needs 2 gigs of ram. Not everyone wants or needs a computer faster than a duron either. It still plays a screaming game of tetris.

I can understand if it's not a hot deal because there's something better out there, then I would hope that someone would give a link to less expensive 1 gig strips or better DDR at a near price.

But grats on threadcrapping!

man, lots of people sure are cranky. i thought the discussion was at least semi-relevant.
some people are not aware that most of the 1GB sticks have much sloppier timings, and sometimes that matters.

For a 1Gb stick, the price is decent. Without comparing it to other 1GB sticks though, further discussion on that topic is pointless.

Still, ill leave now before the crying gets worse.

I could see this being useful if you want 2 gigs and have less than 4 slots. Otherwise, it's probably better to grab some Corsair VS or something like that.

Hmm, tempting. I may have to pick up a couple for my WoW rig :D

Steel Chicken said:
Still, ill leave now before the crying gets worse.

Masterful thread crap! bye bye!

Back