Rooting a cheap android? (Confused on how rooting works and where to start)

n64link

n00b
So I want to root my phone. It's an Alcatel Onyx (50008R).
I got it as a cheap phone, since my old zenfone 2 died, long story the main board stopped sending video siganl. Had the Onyx for a bit and it's okay for a cheap phone. Today it just crashed and corrupted the OS, somehow. I couldn't recover anything and had to factory reset it.

I want to be able to delete bloatware or just install an OS without any bloat. I consider chrome, google drive, Gmail, facebook etc bloat. But can't actually delete them from this phone, only disable. I don't want them on the phone and if I do have top reset it again, a version of android that doesn't have them on there as the backup would be nice. As this phone does not have a lot of storage and I don't trust google or facebook at all.

I'm not sure where the heck to start with rooting. Last I checked you needed to use command lines and know exactly what you are doing to root a phone and customize it. But now it seems there are applications you can do it through windows. I have no clue if these are legit or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Normally you would just go to your devices respective subforum on XDA and there would be pinned threads and subforums for rooting info and instructions. But it seems that phone is pretty obscure, as I don't see that device listed at all on XDA for having a subforum of its own.

If the device doesn't have an unlockable bootloader, then you have to find either an app or software to run either on the phone or from a PC to run an exploit on the OS in order to either root it (at least temporarily with a locked bootloader) or unlock the bootloader so that you can install a custom ROM and/or recovery agent on it and gain permanent root access.

Given the seeming obscure nature of that phone though, it doesn't seem that there is much of a development community for that phone in order to find or deploy any exploits on it in order to root it.

I'd say your only options are to live with just disabling the apps or selling the phone towards another more popular phone with the dev community so that you can more easily root it and uninstall anything you want at that point.

Back