rookie question: what type of ethernet cable is this?

eckndu

Limp Gawd
hi, my wimax modem comes with this cable and I like it because it's thinner than regular cat 5 cables, but im just wondering if it has some flaws since it's missing some lines there...

thanks for your help

Looks like a standard 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX cable, just without the extra 2 pairs. Technically they only require 2 pairs (4 wires) to operate correctly.

And may I just voice my extreme displeasure at that cable? It's missing wires AND it's wired wrong.

I would highly suspect that cable doesn't meet the standards requirements to be classified as Category 5 or even close to it. It's about as good as a phone cable.

And may I just voice my extreme displeasure at that cable? It's missing wires AND it's wired wrong.

yea... should at least start out with orangewhite orange.... (or greenwhite green even, but this standard is only for retards :p)

somebody is trying to deliberately piss us off!!!!

EDIT: maybe they used the greens and browns in the next cable ? ;)

EDIT2: and to answer the op's question, that cable probably won't run gigabit... iirc, gigabit sends and recieves on different pair... so to use the actual gigE spec, you need all 4 pairs... pretty much it's only limitation

Technically they only require 2 pairs (4 wires) to operate correctly.

Yep.

Also, OP... There are some flat CAT5 cables out there as well (meant for running under the floor or something), really expensive though.

alright, thanks for your replies. so as long as I just use it for net surfing/dling, i should be good.;)

yea... should at least start out with orangewhite orange....

EDIT2: and to answer the op's question, that cable probably won't run gigabit... iirc, gigabit sends and recieves on different pair... so to use the actual gigE spec, you need all 4 pairs... pretty much it's only limitation

Yeah, that and it won't do PoE either.

How cheap ass do you have to be to use a half-duplex 10-BT cable in a world of GigE and PoE? Why didn't they just use a phone handset connector and save some space?

Oh that's right, 4 pin plugs cost more than RJ45 these days...

I mean seriously... damn.

How cheap ass do you have to be to use a half-duplex 10-BT cable in a world of GigE and PoE? Why didn't they just use a phone handset connector and save some space?.

It's for a WiMax modem...which is basically the replacement for a Motorola Canopy subscriber module(wireless point to point)...depending on what package he's getting...and which modem he has..may only need a 10 meg connection to the modem.

Back