Romero Delays Blackroom Kickstarter To Finish Off Gameplay Demo

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though that Kickstarter for Blackroom has been put on hold until John Romero and Adrian Carmack can get a demo of the game ready. I don't know about you but I think it is a smart move to delay fundraising until they can show some actual gameplay.

“All the comments we’ve heard from people say that they want to see some gameplay,” Romero told Develop. “They like the idea, they think it’s really cool but they want to see some of it.” A demo is already in the works, but isn’t due to be finished before the Kickstarter campaign ends. While Romero acknowledged that the team could “work around the clock” to do so, entering such levels of crunch is “not what we do”.

i think sony or microsoft gave them an offer but need a demo before proceeding with the deal, if the demo is any good chances are this will end up console exclusive(if it's sony)

Yeah, totally need a demo for a good Kickstarter campaign. I'm not sure they have the track record I'd trust. I have some of my favorite developers sight unseen (Brian Fargo, Richard garriot, etc) - most have turned out great. I'll pass on this one and wait for a Steam sale (if they make it)

1497205653093189190.gif

Turns out that even crowd-funders need a proof-of-concept these days. It is also not good when you say, "Hey I am John Romero!", and most gamers these days respond, "Who?".

I was around for Doom and Quake and my first thoughts were I need to see a demo of some gameplay. John Romero had his time in the spotlight but when it's been almost 20 years since you've worked on a game that doesn't illicit a "What's that?" response and when the last game you hyped was a major fail -- ya need a demo.

This is what happens when you get 2 old stoners together and they vape some of todays higher tetrahydrocannabinol content reefer while chugging PBR.
I imagine the conversation went something like this;
JR: Castles are cool we should do a game in a country with castles.
AC: You're right, I bet we could get awesome tax breaks from one of those castle countries like Ireland and free money from crowd-funding.
JR: DUDE, you rawk. I heard of a space game that kickstarted 500K and is now banking over 110 million. We could get 700k tax free on our names alone. (flicks hair)

Last edited:
Delayed right out of the gate, awesome. I do hope they do this right by bringing back in some of the old school ideas like giving us quality tested products and many hours of viable content for a reasonable price.

I had no doubt it would reach it's 700,000 goal it was at 130,000 after I last looked at the project on Kickstarter maybe someone did mention a Demo.

Back