Rome II - Attila - please read before whining.

Factum

2[H]4U
I have seen on several other forums that people post benches of this game and being quite vocal about their E-peen being hurt.
(aka thier rig cannot run it a max settings and they are hurt).

Turn out that TWA is a totally next-gen game, this is an interesting read:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/146776-An-Official-note-on-ATTILA-amp-Performance

Hi guys!

There’s a few threads popping up with people worried about their kit running the game, we just wanted to clear up a couple of misconceptions that might help you out.

1. The “Recommended Spec” is not the spec that is required to run the game on full max quality settings at 1440p. It is a spec which we believe gives you a good experience of the game as we’d recommend it is played. If you have better hardware you will get better results.

There are 5 quality presents you can select in Total War: ATTILA (you can always go into ‘Advanced’ and tweak yourself of course).
•‘Max Performance’ – integrated chipsets and older cards
•‘Performance’ – low end cards
•‘Quality’– mid range cards
•‘Max Quality’ – high end cards
•‘Extreme Quality’ – future cards – no card is set to this out of the box

The official “Recommended Spec” is pegged to the ‘Quality’ setting at 1080p ‘out of the box’.

‘Extreme Quality’ also activates 4XMSAA, which will have a particularly big performance impact. Please note, that the ‘Extreme Quality’ setting is meant for future graphics cards, not for current gen. This is why it's above Maximum Quality.

2. The Min and Rec specs are higher than ROME II, it is a new game that is going on two years more recent and is based on a newer iteration of our TW Engine. As a result it is more demanding, if you ran ROME II at a certain combination of settings, ATTILA will be different. If you have high end kit though, ATTILA will certainly look more impressive.

Note also that the ‘Extreme’ setting is not the same in each title.

3. There has been work done on performance and optimisation since the review build. How much that might effect your particular spec though we wouldn’t be able to say.

4. The way the game handles texture resolution has changed. In ROME II it was tied to the quality setting. In ATTILA it is based on available VRAM.

Finally, make sure you update all your drivers to the latest versions before you play on Tuesday, that is likely to make a huge difference.

I hope HardOCP takes this into account if benching the game and posters adopt to this information

And that gamers rejoice over games not just being another console-port.

4. The way the game handles texture resolution has changed. In ROME II it was tied to the quality setting. In ATTILA it is based on available VRAM.

Interesting. So, does it detect the 570 as having 4GB and scales textures accordingly, thus leading to stuttering? I can see that being a major issue if so.

My son loves the series, so I bought this. He is getting a job and his first paycheck he wants a new video card. :D I think he might want to check this out first. Might just stick with what he has or play on my PC until a better one comes out that he can really benefit from.

Now, I'm waiting to see the next generation of video cards. :D Might be time for an upgrade next holiday season!

Too bad it still uses that trashy Warscape engine still. Unless this new title can be like Shogun II and less like Rome II, especially seeing as units do not collide the way they used to, it may be worth buying. But the torches..

Sadly as one of the only true PC titles we know of, they are simultaneously ruining the game from past versions that once graced us as teens.

Onward towards the meta score, having sold Australia outright, leaving behind the true face of Total War, for one that can't hold a light.

I've been a huge fan of the Total War series since the original Shogun, but after the clusterfuck that was Rome II I'll take their claims of technical proficiency with a grain of salt. This is the first one I haven't pre-ordered, I'll wait until the dust settles.

I'm hopeful that they will patch this game to support DX12 when it's available.

I'm hopeful that they will patch this game to support DX12 when it's available.

I am really, really hoping they crawl on their knees and beg SEGA for money when DX12 is released instead of constantly patching Warscape. This engine is ancient. With that, they might as well create a 64 bit engine along with Dx12 and truly earn my money, that could really do this game some wonders. It's a long time to hold ones breath I think, but I would for a Total War like that.

And no, the games don't run like shit, if my cousin can play at 1080p with a gts450 and a E5620 @ 4 GHz on Rome II I think it's not shit, and he does that machima stuff along with it.

Back