Rolling a pfSense setup for under $50

Road warriors who needs VPN most likely don't want to use IPSec as it works badly behind NAT. If you want OpenVPN or such (which works fine behind NAT) I highly recommend you to look at another platform than the EdgeRouter (EdgeRouter X might be decent but I haven't tested it at all) as the SoC is really slow compared to what's available today.

Exactly what do you need pfsense for?
I'd probably have a look for a new MIPS/ARM platform to replace the old one.
//Danne

As a firewall for the SMB and given the prices of used WG boxes {add PFSense} it seems like a great combination for low price.

..or just go for a nice little router which handles power outrages better and uses less power and space.

TP-Link TL-WDR3600
OpenWrt Chaos Calmer
130d 5h and counting (since last fw update)
This box handles ~10 workstations, 10 VoIP phones, QoS and firewalling just fine.

Just saying that you don't need a slegehammer for cracking a nut ;-)

That's a single core 560Mhz MIPS SoC with 128Mb of RAM.

Last edited:
I picked up a TP-Link Archer C7 back around last Christmas. It's been a rock. Absolutely no issues at all. I was going to load DD-WRT on it but the OEM firmware does everything I need it to do and is easy to use.

I ran a pfSense router for awhile but decided the added expense and maintenance just wasn't worth it.

I picked up a TP-Link Archer C7 back around last Christmas. It's been a rock. Absolutely no issues at all. I was going to load DD-WRT on it but the OEM firmware does everything I need it to do and is easy to use.

I ran a pfSense router for awhile but decided the added expense and maintenance just wasn't worth it.

Hmm.. I guess it makes sense only outside the home - maybe a Soho or smb business?

Back