Roll you own DSL help. (planning)

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
We have a branch office a blocks from another one, its going to cost too much for an optical and I suggested we see if we can get a try to get a dry pair from AT&T and do our own DLS....

I can't find the modems or would they be called transceivers? I'm trying to spec out what we'll need and ultimately its upto price to see if we'll stick with comcast (crap) or this. Also speeds of what we cat expect etc etc.

Any make model, store recomendations?

you would need a DSLAM, or atleast DSLAM equipment = not cheap.

Look into metro ethernet.

the telco network does not work like you think. your dry pairs would terminate in the local central office. you would have to co-locate equipment there. if it was not the same central office you would have to pay for a circuit to move traffic from one CO to the other. anyway the costs will make it not feasible (thousands of dollars monthly). look for the covad offerings in the area or any other type alternatives.

I could have swon I read a thread here about DSL tranceivers that someone got around $3 or $500 a piece. The wiring I could swear it was an old hard to get thing as and I said it in front of several AT&T tech/Engineers and no one corrected me. If we can't we'll just go with a watch Branch Office VPN solutino but I'd rather ditch comcast all together and At&T won't even trench this connection we would have to.

Ive read about people using DSL modems and their own lines, but you cant just run your own line in the city.
Try looking into line of sight or some other form of transmission based setup.

I've used these at airports and banks before, pretty easy to do if you can "throw your weight around" with the telco, but as an end user / residential subscriber, it's pretty hard to do. My wifes uncle was able to get the local telco to give him a dry line so that he could have his home phone connected to his old school PBX at work, I might actually grab a couple DTE's for him, I think Blackbox sells them pretty cheap for industrial automation stuff.

From what I've been reading, it's around $150 installation and the wiki article on dry pairs suggests around $3 per 1/4 mile.

Of course I didn't save any source links and who knows if any of it is accurate.

edit

I'm just posting any informative links I run across, but this one is pretty funny to read about the bandwidth that he's so excited about, most of this stuff is ten years old...
http://www.odessaoffice.com/sdsl.htm

some good replies here as well:
http://seclists.org/nanog/2010/Sep/962

Last edited:
I've emailed ATT requesting more information, they'll probably have no idea what I'm talking about but I'll share their response here... if I get one.

if they don't know what a "dry pair" is, sometimes I've heard it called an alarm circuit, for hooking together like home security systems.

Thanks everyone we will be looking into it this. This is for a school district and maybe we can throw some weight, they are only a few blocks from us and we have 10 or 11 OptiEman lines, we are getting a Alcatel/Nortel VOIP system with them so... yeah we give them lots of money maybe they'll work with us.

Why don't you just set up an IPSEC tunnel from site to site? That is the generally accepted alternative when sites can't afford to have a leased line, e.g. a T1 from office to office.

I had spoke with my ISP the other day to help us on a potential build to building setup.

The ballpark prices are 172$/mo for 45mbps full duplex, fiber would be 275$/mo. Both options are still routing through the CO, they do not do anything straight build to building.

What I am also considering is something like these:
http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationm

However, the ultimate option is to have some form of conduit between the buildings so it is permanent, and ours.

Back