Rogue Robot Blamed for Human Colleague’s Gruesome Death

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is probably just the beginning, as mobile and autonomous robot forces continue to rise, but back in 2015, a maintenance technician had her skull crushed by a robot that tried to load a trailer-hitch assembly part onto her head. I am having a tough time picturing just how it happened, as there doesn’t seem to be any photos of the layout or what kind of robot it was. I guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable LiveLeak video. Thanks to Kyle for this one.

Holbrook was in the plant’s six-cell “100 section” when a robot unexpectedly activated, taking her by surprise. The cells are separated by safety doors and the robot should not have been able to move. But it somehow reached Holbrook, and was intent on loading a trailer-hitch assembly part right where she stood over a similar part in another cell. The machine loaded the hardware onto Holbrook’s head. She was unable to escape, and her skull was crushed. Co-workers who eventually noticed that something seemed amiss found Holbrook dead.

Why do I suspect a failure of the safety switch on the cage door?

Why do I suspect a failure of the safety switch on the cage door?

Likely. They should have a backup (redundant) switch for safety.

It's worth noting this was probably a swinging-arm style robot. They lack awareness (just fine machine control code doing repeated tasks) to a lot of things, hence why they're within cages.

So it's not an AI controlled robot that decided to just load a trailer hitch on someone because it felt homicidal that day.

This stuff happens in industry all the time. There was a PBS/NatGeo (I think) show that discussed another accident (the surveillance video is on YouTube) where a man was crushed by machinery. He crawled inside to clean it and his supervisor started the line (didn't know he was inside the machine). There's not much left after a 20ton press is done.

It's worth noting this was probably a swinging-arm style robot. They lack awareness (just fine machine control code doing repeated tasks) to a lot of things, hence why they're within cages.

So it's not an AI controlled robot that decided to just load a trailer hitch on someone because it felt homicidal that day.

This stuff happens in industry all the time. There was a PBS/NatGeo (I think) show that discussed another accident (the surveillance video is on YouTube) where a man was crushed by machinery. He crawled inside to clean it and his supervisor started the line (didn't know he was inside the machine). There's not much left after a 20ton press is done.
Sadly 99% of this type of stuff can be fixed with a 2 lock lockout set up where the worker has the key to the lock that holds the key that the supervisor uses to unlock the machine that way no one man can turn it on.

The OSHA standard for The Control of
Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout), Title 29
Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
Part 1910.147, addresses the practices and
procedures necessary to disable machinery or
equipment, thereby preventing the release of
hazardous energy while employees perform
servicing and maintenance activities.

Probably one of those useless regulations that needs to be removed, eh?

Watch the local news clip at the link. This particular plant apparently has a history of safety violations, and 2 workers were also killed by a press in the early 90's.

so the first law of robotics isn't applicable.

hoej07e.jpg

You know the robot mentioned here is not a robot in the terms of the layman?
These kinds of assembly robots are as much robots as a conveyor belt is a robot, or a forklift is a robot. Accidents can happen with all kind of heavy machinery.

These kinds of assembly robots are as much robots as a conveyor belt is a robot, or a forklift is a robot. Accidents can happen with all kind of heavy machinery.

You're not going to generate hits with that attitude!

What's to say this machine didn't become self aware? It was programmed to do its task, and one day, it became semi self aware. It decided to wait until it had it's moment to strike... And put a trailer hitch where her head should be, in a cry for attention as it hates doing the same thing every day, and is hoping to be deconstructed.

Fuck, dude. I'm never inviting you to a party. Buzz kill.

It was a goddamn Terminator. Fucking Joe shot it, man. We had to run, but it killed Bill. We eventually made it out, but it's still out there. Hunting us.

Preview.jpg

:D

Yes, then there was that spot wielding robot that screwed up and not only stabbed a guy but electrocuted him as well.

Last edited:
omg! it started! or, it could be nothing but just a plain ol' darwin award, hmmm....

Fuck, dude. I'm never inviting you to a party. Buzz kill.

It was a goddamn Terminator. Fucking Joe shot it, man. We had to run, but it killed Bill. We eventually made it out, but it's still out there. Hunting us.

:D
I didn't know your idea of a party was smack talking on a tech forum.

I didn't know your idea of a party was smack talking on a tech forum.

Sir. Sorry Sir.

Are you sure you're at the right forum? :) Relax a little.

:)

BTW - don't take it serious or as talking smack. It's just simple screwing around. Not like these robots. They are some high class fuckery.

Back