“Rogue One” Reviewed: Is It Time To Abandon The “Star Wars” Franchise?

I thought that it was okay, but could have been a lot better and I was expecting as much since I wasn't blown away with TFA. Donnie Yen's character and the Vader scenes were the highlights but aside from that, I found it to be somewhat boring. I think they underutilized the characters.

I watched this last week and didn't like it one bit. It's not that I liked Episode VII but the middle was kind of alright. This one was nothing but boredom. The Vader scene was such a wasted potential. He was admiring the view while choking some dudes. Now, I am no jedi expert but he seemed kind of lame. They should've thrown more dudes at him in the same timespan. That would've won me.

The whole point of the scene was to show that Vader didn't need to move around like an acrobat to be a badass. He just stood there, blocked the bullets and picked up their guns. He didn't even choke anybody, he held one guy to the roof while he walked by and casually slided him in half. Second best Star Wars movie in my opinion. Granted everything else was hindered by crappy acting, bad character design and rehashed plots.

The whole point of the scene was to show that Vader didn't need to move around like an acrobat to be a badass. He just stood there, blocked the bullets and picked up their guns. He didn't even choke anybody, he held one guy to the roof while he walked by and casually slided him in half. Second best Star Wars movie in my opinion. Granted everything else was hindered by crappy acting, bad character design and rehashed plots.

So, the whole point was to let the rebels escape with the plans? Great plan. Probably why I am not the one running the planet.

So, the whole point was to let the rebels escape with the plans? Great plan. Probably why I am not the one running the planet.

I mean they kind of had to to keep continuity, but the story could be argued multiple ways. He didn't know the plans were downloaded to a disc, he didn't know what he was looking for, he doesn't really care because fuck the empire and such. But lets just chalk it up to movie magic.

oh yeah! the last scene with vader was the only good thing in the movie! like, he comes in that corridor like "bro, im in a such bad mood bro!" and comes really mean to show it to those jedi treehugging motherfuckers :D

oh yeah! the last scene with vader was the only good thing in the movie! like, he comes in that corridor like "bro, im in a such bad mood bro!" and comes really mean to show it to those jedi treehugging motherfuckers :D

Sure, until you think about it just a tiny bit critically and realize that Vader had 0 relevance to the movie.

So why did they put those scenes with Vader in the movie?

And then it hits you...because Darth Vader.

And then when you realize that Jyn Erso is just a figment of Cassian's imagination...*head asplode*

Sure, until you think about it just a tiny bit critically and realize that Vader had 0 relevance to the movie.

And then when you realize that Jyn Erso is just a figment of Cassian's imagination...*head asplode*

dont fucking care, didnt like the movie anyway hmph.

bah it sucked! i guess the pg-13 rating meant a maximum age of 13 to be able to swallow this one.
On the other end of the spectrum, I'm a hardcore Trekkie and I loved it.

Think about that for a second.

....and now I understand the emotion of Mon Mothra when she spoke of the sacrifice of the Rebels who stole the plans to the Death Star.....

Umm, Mon Mothma didn't appear in A New Hope. It was in ROTJ.
When she says "many Bothans died to bring us this information", that was about the SECOND Death Star.

I thought it was all cliche all the way, a cookie cutter movie with 'badass' gurl power (where's the scene were she aims her blaster at a TIE fighter?).. that scene mimicking a warzone in a certain place in the middle east, complete with a lone crying child in the middle of the street that just had to be saved by a certain character, wow. When they went to see a certain key character, then the key character obviously has to be in a certain state immediately reaching him, wat the fuuuk. The struggle at the end with the team, wow very bland. There's nothing in this movie, if it wasn't $tar War$ then it would be just a mediocre movie, it's a bit darker and less cheeky than TFA so big points for that. Yes, the bad guys are white once again and the good guys: a lone caucasian woman and a group of ethnic people, middle eastern kids will be influenced by this movie "Yes, indeed american's are bad and we are the good people!"

I was very excited to watch the movie, then after a while, I just left it on as background noise.

It's a loud and visually stimulating movie, big points for that. My overall verdict: 4/10

Vader and the special effects saved this movie for me. Hearing James Earl Jones again brought back some memories. It wasn't good or bad, just meh. Felt they could've fleshed the characters backstories out just a bit more.

The Tarkin CGI thing was impressive, but pretty darn creepy.

I am currently watching The Clone Wars cartoon series. I remember checking it out not too long ago on CN a few years ago, but it seemed sort of childish. However, I decided to revisit it, and it has progressively gotten better with each season. Currently on season 3. It seems a bit dark for a kiddie show (if that's who it was aimed for).
Loved The Clone Wars series.
Some of that darker aspect really comes through in Rebels, but mostly when it is the narrative story around Vader/Ahsoka Tano (Snips) and at times with Ezra.
Can be tricky to find those episodes if not a fan of Rebels, but for me Rebels also had some superb episodes.

Cheers

Regarding Force Awakens I enjoyed some of the clips in the recent Bad Lip Reading for the film, best aspect is Mark Hamill doing a few of the voice overs and some are very funny especially on the rebel base with scene involving Admiral Ackbar character :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Well Vader was on the trail after the plans at the beginning of A New Hope so it makes sense to show how he knows where to start and what ship he may be looking for and how he caught up to them so quickly.

I disagree about Vader having anything to do with the main characters. If he was on the beach it would've made the Rebels' chances of pulling it off next to zero.

Killing nobodies? Every one is a nobody to Vader at this point.

Loved The Clone Wars series.
Some of that darker aspect really comes through in Rebels, but mostly when it is the narrative story around Vader/Ahsoka Tano (Snips) and at times with Ezra.
Can be tricky to find those episodes if not a fan of Rebels, but for me Rebels also had some superb episodes.

Cheers

Rebels took a while to grow on me. I wasn't a fan of the animation at first and the stories weren't that interesting. But now that everything is moving toward a point and is connected together it's pretty good.

Rebels took a while to grow on me. I wasn't a fan of the animation at first and the stories weren't that interesting. But now that everything is moving toward a point and is connected together it's pretty good.
Funny I was the same where the 1st few episodes felt very different to Clone Wars and took awhile to appreciate the change, but I do love some of the story arcs and how this ties into original films (A New Hope), including the episodes involving the Death Star before it was fully enveiled and what happened to the planet of Geonosis.

Cheers

it was time to bail when Lucas started cutting up the original release and when the 2nd trilogy came out it was beyond obvious...

Haven't seen this one, honestly none of the starwars movies is like super excitement to me. ITs just a movie.. the one before this one was a POS.

What!?!

I just watched it on vudu yesterday, and it was pretty good. Not quite classic star wars but not bad or anything. The CGI of Carrie Fisher was fucking terrible though, she looked like a creepy ass bobble head!

Darth Vader scene made sense to me, one part homage to the original film A New Hope and one part that Vader was in the opening scenes of the 1st film as the plans are of critical importance to the Empire and needed to be found quickly.
I think they improved on the original A New Hope as Vader was much more menacing and deadly/unstoppable with his small scene in Rogue One, they did not overdo it and found the right balance IMO.

Cheers

To stop a rebellion and retrieve the plans of your top weapon you'd send your #1 asset to assist.

Many of you must expect a lot more out of your movies than I do. These also have to make money, its' why you are seeing more meaningful or more risk taking on TV now HBO, Netflix, Amazon ,etc. You have a 100-200 million dollar budget you need to be careful.

It wasn't the best movie I ever saw but it was entertaining, I didn't want the cost of the disc back and its a movie the whole family enjoys.

I thought that it was okay, but could have been a lot better and I was expecting as much since I wasn't blown away with TFA. Donnie Yen's character and the Vader scenes were the highlights but aside from that, I found it to be somewhat boring. I think they underutilized the characters.
Working in Vader while keeping a tight time limit, probably two Disney demands, damaged the script most likely.

As a longtime Star Wars hater (cheesy dialogue, impossible situations escaped from time and time again, hackneyed performances, almost antiheroes, screen transitions)...

I loved Rogue One because it had nearly none of those.

I think they improved on the original A New Hope as Vader was much more menacing and deadly/unstoppable with his small scene in Rogue One, they did not overdo it and found the right balance IMO.

That one scene made it so that you didn't have "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" whiney bitch Anakin anymore and you had a cold, ruthless killer that gave no fucks. Putting that in there gives meaning to why people fear him so much.

I think it needed it.

I loved it. So did my wife. Great action, great pacing, more than good enough story that worked better than anticipated.

Hated everything about it. Disgusting fanservice piece of trash. At this point I'm only watching because of some kind of weird commitment and necessity, even though I don't really wanna anymore. Disney's cash grab cinematic universes disgusts me. But oh well, at least they ensure some funny RLM videos in the future.

Empire 10/10
Star Wars 9/10
Jedi 7/10
Force 5/10
Phantom 4/10
Revenge 4/10
Rogue 3/10
Clones 2/10

Don't get the hate. I would rank it up there with the originals. Thought it was better than RotJ even.

Finally watched it. I think it's mediocre with highlights:

+great visuals / cinematography
+cool scenarios
+great environments
+the admiral guy gave a good performance
+vader fight scene is awesome
-didn't care about any of the characters
-poor development of the characters, they're almost all really bland and uninteresting
-way too many references in the plot that aren't explained well, gave me way too many details of the plans that are really just technobabble.
-pacing was bad, build up could have been better, somehow made a giant battle drag on to the point of numbness

The fact that the movie really didn't make care about anyone involved was the biggest problem. I give it a 4/10.

Reactions: M76
like this
Empire 10/10
Star Wars 9/10
Jedi 7/10
Force 5/10
Phantom 4/10
Revenge 4/10
Rogue 3/10
Clones 2/10

How the hell is the Phantom Menace better than Rogue One? Rogue One actually had, you know... a plot, characters, visual design consistent with the original trilogy, no child actors in major roles...

I was 10 when the Phantom Menace came out, and even then I knew it was a terrible movie.

Reactions: M76
like this
Finally watched it. I think it's mediocre with highlights:

+great visuals / cinematography
+cool scenarios
+great environments
+the admiral guy gave a good performance
+vader fight scene is awesome
-didn't care about any of the characters
-poor development of the characters, they're almost all really bland and uninteresting
-way too many references in the plot that aren't explained well, gave me way too many details of the plans that are really just technobabble.
-pacing was bad, build up could have been better, somehow made a giant battle drag on to the point of numbness

The fact that the movie really didn't make care about anyone involved was the biggest problem. I give it a 4/10.
I kind of agree with the criticisms. But still it's infinitely better than force awakens, or any of the prequels (1-3). So it's my 4th favorite Star Wars movie.

And judging by the trailer Episode 8 or the last jedi as they're calling it will be even worse.

How the hell is the Phantom Menace better than Rogue One? Rogue One actually had, you know... a plot, characters, visual design consistent with the original trilogy, no child actors in major roles...

I was 10 when the Phantom Menace came out, and even then I knew it was a terrible movie.

Both are garbage, but at least the prequels attempt new things and are not relying entirely on fanservice, pointless "references" and rehashed elements we've seen hundred times before. I rather have new ideas, even if they are terrible ones like Lucas had for his prequels, than uber safe sterile fan film produced by soulless board room executives who are too busy calculating their money. Market research department, focus groups and SJW-diversity are what control Hollywood today. Cinematic universes **** ***. This is also why I infinitely prefer both The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 over the turd that is Jurassic World, although obviously there are other factors as well there.

The only reason I'm putting AOTC lower than R1 is because it's the most boring thing ever with horrible dialogue and lazy production. But even that one I kinda have to respect more, because at least it wasn't a fan service fan film, but have goal of some sort.

TFA is weak too and as anyone knows complete ripoff of New Hope, but at least there are some hints of competence here and there, so I don't downright HATE it like I do R1. About the only thing these Disney films do right is the effects department by the way. That is good improvement over the shockingly awful CGI fest in the Lucas prequels. Well at least in TFA, R1 had the stupid Tarkin and vax-Leia that looked laughable and completely took you away from the little emotion there was

Last edited:
Back