“Rogue One” Reviewed: Is It Time To Abandon The “Star Wars” Franchise?

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

There goes that theory of Disney paying off reviewers. I have seen a number of critics express their distaste of the new Star Wars film, which is surprising, since most of them seemed head over heels for The Force Awakens, which was at best uninspired.

There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”). The script of “Rogue One” is so flat and inexpressive, the direction of the actors so methodical, as to render these artists nearly robotic and synthetic. The one character with any inner identity is, in fact, a robot, K-2SO, voiced by Alan Tudyk, and the only performance with any flair at all is a C.G.I. incarnation, or, rather, resurrection.

2. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

the movie is getting excellent reviews for the most part...especially among diehard SW fans...will it be better then Empire Strikes Back?...no...but it's probably better then all the prequels...I'm going to see it tonight in NYC in a Dolby Cinema theater- the only way to watch movies

Armenius, Peter2k and Geronimo like this.
  3. Bowman15

Bowman15 [H]ard|Gawd

Is it Opposite Day because I've heard nothing but good things about it?

doug_7506, Talyrius, Rahh and 17 others like this.
  4. misfitsfiend

misfitsfiend [H]ard|Gawd

spoiler alert: there's going to be a sequel(s)! December will never be the same. There will be a new Star Wars movie every time around Christmas for the next 3-5 years at least.

Armenius, ASCII and tunatime like this.
  5. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

When the movie wraps up and you realize whats happening I think it makes it decent.
    Still it could have used a bit more, was missing something.

6. Chebsy

Chebsy Gawd

Did anybody read the full review ? I actually got bored half way through reading it. I hope the movie is better !!

7. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Who gives a shit about what the idiot says who thinks the best of star wars is attack of the clones and revenge of the sith?

8. erexx

erexx Limp Gawd

Its a really good movie. There were people walking out of the theater in tears at the end. Its a stand alone movie. There will be no sequel to it specifically. Episode IV is the next movie in the series. Conspiracy theories are so lame. The Alt-Right hates this movie and of course they do. That's where the deceit comes from.

9. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I generally accuse everyone that disagrees with my highly subjective opinions of corruption as well. They can't possibly disagree with me, they must be getting paid off.

10. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Don't want to spoil anything but there were 2 certain characters that appeared and people went WHOA!!!!!

I really liked it. I would rank it in the top3 displacing FA.

One more note. Technology has advanced a lot since the days of Tron Legacy. Not perfect, but getting there.

11. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

lol review critics these days, attempting to be edgy just so people will actually read them.

I barely read reviews anymore, the last one I read was for star wars last year.

Armenius likes this.
  12. travisty

travisty Gawd

The movie was great. I consider myself well versed in Star Wars - having read 40+ books in the EU (no longer cannon), all movies, CW cartoon, Rebels, games, etc. The story was good and all the events tie straight into episode 4.

SPOILER
    The biggest let down is no Ahsoka Tano :(
    /SPOILER

13. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

Maybe I've outgrown Star Wars, which I loved as a kid. I had no interest in Force Awakens. Same for Rogue One.

Finally saw FA on DVD and agree with those who thought it was a pale remake of New Hope.

NoOther, jwcalla and tungt88 like this.
  14. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

I'm starting to wonder if the mods here just post the opposite of reality in hopes of getting more clicks on FP News...

atom, Rahh and westrock2000 like this.
  15. Nashligo

Nashligo n00b

A review is instantly untrustworthy when it contains the text "the best of George Lucas’s "Star Wars" entries ("Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith")."

16. Cmdrmonkey

Cmdrmonkey Gawd

84% on Rottentomatoes with 276 reviews. Seems like the overwhelming majority of critics liked it.

haste. and Xinmosni like this.
  17. g-money

g-money Limp Gawd

saw it on Thursday (lucky to be near a theater which got it early) and thought it was quite excellent. I would also rank it higher than FA. The first 15-20 min i was like... ok this is some cliche, but then the story took over and they did a good job. I recommend seeing it.

SnowBeast and Xinmosni like this.
  18. htpc_user

htpc_user [H]ard|Gawd

I saw it last night and something about it seemed "off". I think it was just the fact that there's no jedi, and I couldn't relate that much to the characters because I didn't KNOW them. But it was still a good movie, and it really ramped up once it got to the final battle.

misfitsfiend likes this.
  19. Babbster

Babbster [H]ard|Gawd

This about sums it up: Obvious troll is obvious.

20. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

Yes because The New York Times, The New Yorker, The San Francisco Chronicle and some other papers that have Rogue One bad reviews are alt-right. Oh wait they ate liberal as fuck. Please take your wannabe political garbage elsewhere.

lilbabycat, Ordeith, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  21. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

Congrats, you're not in a conspiracy bubble.

22. bbqrooster

bbqrooster Limp Gawd

Why people like you keep injecting politics into a topic that has nothing to do with politics? If you want to discuss politics, please go somewhere else.

Talyrius, lilbabycat, atom and 12 others like this.
  23. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

It was the best movie since the original three. These guys are smoking crack.

24. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Most studios have learned not to open opposing Star Wars. There was only one movie to open vs SW. The tally, SW = 71 million vs Collateral Beauty = 2.4 million on Friday. Talk about an ass whooping!

25. RadXge

RadXge 2[H]4U

Last good Star Wars movie was Empire Strikes Back (1980!).
    Everything else after is pre-digested baby food.

I just can't stand Disney's sterile, infantile and corporate storytelling.

26. Travolta

Travolta Gawd

You are all wrong considering no one here is a professional reviewer. Only their opinions are correct. :p
    This is why I don't read/watch reviews from "professionals" anymore. I've found plenty of movies/games that were enjoyable that received lackluster reviews.

Armenius likes this.
  27. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

Yep. Force Awakens was disappointing and nothing more than a cash grab. Sterile acting from the main cast ruined it.

28. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Taking my kid to see this this afternoon. Didn't care for FA at all but this one looks a lot better. Even as a standalone it could be pretty good but then I thought FA could've been good too. We'll see.

29. Terpfen

Terpfen [H]ardness Supreme

You need to reexamine your life if this is the conclusion you're reaching.

30. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

It is a real thing that those alt right nazi weirdos are offended by.

MavericK and Xinmosni like this.
  31. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

Moff was great and the lighting really helped sell the illusion, Lea still had that uncanny valley look. Also the facial animations were just too fluid which threw off the illusion. We're getting there though!

I thought the movie was great! The director did a much better job capturing the feel of Star Wars better than JJ Abrams.

32. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

Couldn't have said it better. Great actors, good script. All 20 people I was with were shocked how good the ending was and looked! Finally, a true Star WARS movie. Made me think they should have done a Vader Chronicles movie series up to this one, starting after Ep3 to this one. I want more badass Vader! Damn it was good.

Armenius and Mav451 like this.
  33. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

This ++++++++. I truly was shocked this was the guy that gave us 12 minutes of Godzilla. Totally redeemed himself in my eyes. Great darker tone to this film that was much needed.

DocSavage, Armenius and Mav451 like this.
  34. drlawyer

drlawyer Limp Gawd

1. It's the New Yorker. Of course the reviewer is going to be unimpressed. He can't agree with all the "common" people.
    2. He claims "the best of George Lucas’s 'Star Wars' entries" were “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith.” Even if they were marginally better than the other three films Lucas helmed, to call them the "best" of anything tells you how out of touch this guy is.

35. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

IIRC, Star Wars opened to poor reviews, until the reviewers noticed that folks were buying LOTS of tickets.

36. Mav451

Mav451 [H]ardness Supreme

Saw this yesterday and was grinning ear-to-ear. Basically launched with little to no hype (compared to Ep7), but may end up considered the superior film.

37. nomu

nomu Gawd

I sort of buy his argument. The main point I'd argue is that he says "grind to a halt" instead of "melt down in deadly radioactive fire." A lesser point is that the prequels weren't as chock full of masterful cinematography as he makes them sound, but getting any enjoyment out of Attack of the Clones already means he has the patience to endure whatever it takes to see the clever images.

38. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

I've been wanting to try one of those Dolby theaters. Is it really that good? Worth the premium? It's like $17 a ticket where I live.

39. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

it's definitely worth it...Force Awakens was the first movie I saw in a Dolby Cinema theater...best picture I've ever seen...better then IMAX or 3D...and the Dolby Atmos audio is amazing as well...well worth the premium...revived my interest in going to movie theaters again instead of waiting for Blu-ray

here's a list of Dolby Cinema locations in the USA (scroll down to the bottom of the page)
    https://www.amctheatres.com/dolby

some impressions
    https://www.cnet.com/news/why-dolby-cinema-at-amc-is-the-best-movie-going-experience-today/

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...dd-first-look-dolby-cinema-at-amc-prime/26635

Mav451 likes this.
  40. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardness Supreme

I thought it was great.

I'll say what I said in the genmay thread: For anyone thinking about skipping this one because you didn't like Force Awakens or because of political reasons, it's a very different film and there was no liberal SJW crap (unless the word hope triggers Obama flashbacks for you or whatever). I was worried that this would end up being a crappy Disney cash grab but it ended up being a lot of fun.

Armenius and SnowBeast like this.