“Rogue One” Is Like No Star Wars You’ve Seen Before

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A new featurette out of Star Wars Celebration 2016 gives us an extended behind-the-scenes look at the upcoming prequel. The film takes place on a brand-new planet, Jedah, which has strong ties to the force, and director Gareth Edwards is shooting the movie in a way that gives it a unique identity in the Star Wars universe.

Gareth Edwards employed a more experimental approach than we’ve seen from Star Wars in the past. “We went to Jordan to film,” he says. “We built this set in Pinewood that was 360 degrees. Normally on a set, the extras are told, ‘You go this way on action and on cut you stop.’ We said, ‘For the next hour, you’re going to be this character. You’re cooking food or you’re working on this car thing. Whatever it is.’ The crew were wearing costumes. They had the cameras turned round them so they wouldn’t ruin the shot. We tried to give them freedom so that the actors could go where they wanted and do the scene in a way that felt right. There was a lot of freedom and it had a very different vibe than you associate with ‘Star Wars.'”

So now we've gone from a formula that works to something that's almost completely experimental, excellent, it's nice to know I'll be just as disappointed in this upcoming flick as I was with The Force Awakens. At least there's some consistency, I suppose. :)

So now we've gone from a formula that works to something that's almost completely experimental, excellent, it's nice to know I'll be just as disappointed in this upcoming flick as I was with The Force Awakens. At least there's some consistency, I suppose. :)
this is just what star wars need less about jedi

Bah. That isn't the big news from the celebration. The big news is Thrawn being brought into official canon with a new book from Timothy Zahn and appearances in Season 3 of Rebels.

Like no Star Wars you've ever seen before*.

*Provided you've never seen a Death Star, or concept of groups of "homogeneous white males" being inherently evil and basically Space Nazis/KKK (storm troopers in all white wearing white masks that make them half-Nazi SS and half-KKK minus the pointy hat), and a group of "diverse protesters" being inherently good with moral authority to attack and kill the white males.

lets be glad disney bought them out and is bringing new films for us. Better than none

lets be glad disney bought them out and is bringing new films for us. Better than none
Are they really bringing out films for YOU though as a target demographic? The prequels and the last Star Wars really seemed more geared towards children, since they buy the most branded merchandise (backpacks, legos, posters, plastic light sabers, costumes, etc.).

Will watch even if it sucks. I saw all of 3 of Lucas's abominable prequels in the theater, so I have high tolerance for crap as long as it's star wars. :p

Last edited:
At least George Lucas isn't doing it so it will be better than Episodes 1, 2, and 3.

That didn't help 7, but they haven't made this one two (or three) times already so it might not suck as much, though the trailer doesn't inspire much confidence.

That all said, I watched 7 two nights ago for the first time. It wasn't half bad. I mean it wasn't great but I didn't regret renting it. I would say I enjoyed it about as much as I did the prequels and it gave me hope that up coming ones should be at the minimum fairly enjoyable. My only real complaint was the fact that certain events were almost painfully obvious what was going to happen and once again the actor for the "Villan" was really really fucking bad. I mean how hard is it to cast someone who has a deeper emotional range than the twilight chick?

i was interested in the movie until they remade certain scenes so the movie didn't seem so "dark".. aka they made it so 5 year olds can watch it instead of the adults that grew up watching star wars.. nor was a i fan of SW 7 for the exact same reason.

i was interested in the movie until they remade certain scenes so the movie didn't seem so "dark".. aka they made it so 5 year olds can watch it instead of the adults that grew up watching star wars.. nor was a i fan of SW 7 for the exact same reason.

honestly Star Wars has always been a family movie. I am so grateful I can enjoy it with my kids and see them get that exact same excitement I had as a kid. It by no means makes it a kids show. But it does continue the great legacy.

With all the hating going on about Star Wars lately I hate to see what you all said when ep1-3 came out. Lol

I think it looks awesome and I'm definitely going to be watching it opening night.

I really liked Ep 7, too.

I like the idea that they are going with. Not sure if it will work any better than traditional ways, but I'll be looking out for it now.

I think it looks awesome and I'm definitely going to be watching it opening night.

I really liked Ep 7, too.

I like the idea that they are going with. Not sure if it will work any better than traditional ways, but I'll be looking out for it now.

Same. I hope all of the side movies try to do something different with the series. It would be great if they allowed all of the directors for the side movies to bring their own unique style and ideas.

Bah. That isn't the big news from the celebration. The big news is Thrawn being brought into official canon with a new book from Timothy Zahn and appearances in Season 3 of Rebels.

F'in aye... I want to see Tie Defenders and Missile boats in a movie, because.. dayum. Thrawn should be awesome to see, if they use Zahn's characterization.

Sounds like you were never a fan to begin with.

I beg to differ.

- saw Star Wars on the day of release in May 1977 at 10 years old (yes I'm dating myself) and 4 more times over the next two days
- saw The Empire Strikes Back on the day of release in June 1980 (you can figure out my age then, right?) and 5 more times over the following week
- saw Return Of The Jedi on the day of release in May 1983 (yeah, yeah) and 3 more times the following week and two more times on my birthday that year
- still have the original day of release ticket stubs to this day as well for each of 'em (in a safety deposit box, go figure)
- was one of the first 100 members of The Star Wars Fan Club and was an editor for Bantha Tracks, the fan newsletter
- met George Lucas and most of the cast at various events over the years
- had too many books and comics and novels to worry about
- had too many Kenner toys to count including 9 of the very limited collector's edition Boba Fett figures
- had several t-shirts, hats, various items of all kinds over the decades but finally grew out of collecting toys and sold 'em all as one collection for a rather tidy sum after eBay got popular

I could go on suffice to say yes I'm a fan of Star Wars and the original trilogy. I'm not too particular towards the prequels but I tolerate them, I just won't ever forgive Lucas for wrecking the original trilogy by remaking them to various degrees and editing the theatrical releases after VHS and DVD moved in. I have the original theatrical trilogy on LaserDisc in storage, had a lot of offers for 'em over the years (they've never been opened) but I'm still holding on to 'em and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Am I fan of TFA? No. Did I see it? Yes. Was there anything redeeming about it in my own personal opinion? The original cast members being onscreen was a pretty emotional thing for me, sure, but the story and the rest of it - save for the glorious Millennium Falcon, of course - just didn't appeal to me on any level whatsoever.

As a fan since even before day one in May 1977 I should think that I have a little bit of a right to say TFA just wasn't up to snuff and could have been much much better overall but that's my opinion just as you've got yours. Now they're just going off on tangents and creating shit from thin air and unfortunately Lucas brought it on all the fans himself - as soon as he sold the franchise to Disney all Disney could and can see are dollar signs, just crank 'em out as fast as they're able and to hell with the quality and real storytelling.

Anyway, we'll see what happens but after TFA I'm not putting any actual faith in Disney or the stories they're cranking out. Maybe they can surprise me but for the moment I don't have any reason to think that's going to be the outcome.

I hope it's better than Force Awakens.

Yeah, I said it.

TFA was decent but based on all the fanfare and BS I saw in my Facebook feed I was expecting better. Seriously it was like the same damn thing rehashed only the villain was weaker and emo and they killed off the best character they had going for it. I left the theater with a feeling of "meh'.

Threads with popular topics are hilarious, there's always a group of people who want to post just to show you how much they don't like something.

Threads with popular topics are hilarious, there's always a group of people who want to post just to show you how much they don't like something.
Well, they enjoyed the original space opera, particularly Episode V, and are disappointed that the prequels were aimed at such a very young audience, and the latest incarnation not much older and very much of a rehash with ANOTHER death star with ANOTHER easily exploitable weakness and ANOTHER father moment and ANOTHER catwalk over a bottomless pit with ANOTHER alien cantina scene and so forth, with a completely unbelievable Mary Sue female protagonist to appease the feminists who despite being an orphan that barely has time to feed herself is physically superior able to take on multiple attackers bare handed, learns the force untaught for nano seconds, is an expert pilot, is an expert mechanic, speaks numerous languages, and essentially has no faults and her only weakness is that people keep trying to help her so stop taking my hand I can run by myself shitlord! And the plot again was so predictable you saw everything coming from a mile away, which is great for young kids so its not so hard to follow, but again the bad guys were WAY too bad and the good guys WAY too good, when in the real world most things are a shade of gray which is more interesting to a mature mind.

Now we did see a space opera for a more mature audience in Battlestar Galactica remake, but unfortunately it never saw the profits of Star Wars, because so much money is made in merchandising to kids and BSG was far too gritty to allow for that with lots of violence, a complicated plot that would confuse them, rape, drug use, sex, etc. So likewise we never got a bunch of BSG movies, just the TV series.

So, we hope for a Star Wars that has a bit more depth, maturity, and creativity to it, which unfortunately Disney did not go for when taking the reigns.

Well, they enjoyed the original space opera, particularly Episode V, and are disappointed that the prequels were aimed at such a very young audience, and the latest incarnation not much older and very much of a rehash with ANOTHER death star with ANOTHER easily exploitable weakness and ANOTHER father moment and ANOTHER catwalk over a bottomless pit with ANOTHER alien cantina scene and so forth, with a completely unbelievable Mary Sue female protagonist to appease the feminists who despite being an orphan that barely has time to feed herself is physically superior able to take on multiple attackers bare handed, learns the force untaught for nano seconds, is an expert pilot, is an expert mechanic, speaks numerous languages, and essentially has no faults and her only weakness is that people keep trying to help her so stop taking my hand I can run by myself shitlord! And the plot again was so predictable you saw everything coming from a mile away, which is great for young kids so its not so hard to follow, but again the bad guys were WAY too bad and the good guys WAY too good, when in the real world most things are a shade of gray which is more interesting to a mature mind.

Now we did see a space opera for a more mature audience in Battlestar Galactica remake, but unfortunately it never saw the profits of Star Wars, because so much money is made in merchandising to kids and BSG was far too gritty to allow for that with lots of violence, a complicated plot that would confuse them, rape, drug use, sex, etc. So likewise we never got a bunch of BSG movies, just the TV series.

So, we hope for a Star Wars that has a bit more depth, maturity, and creativity to it, which unfortunately Disney did not go for when taking the reigns.
It was a re-hash of the old Star Wars with Team Diversity going against the Evil White Patriarchy. My guess is that they intend to explain the embarrassing Mary Sue nature like by going the Dune 'Kwisatz Haderach' route where she is the product of a shadow eugenics breeding program to make a super being.

In fact, I'm not so sure they won't just borrow that as a trope. Abrams is in the age group to have just been old enough to be a Dune cult follower before the horrible 80's movie destroyed the obscure franchise. They may even ret-con the Force to fit this as the product an ages old attempt to create a super being. Abrams basically going to turn Star Wars into Dune with the force being the spice, Rey being the culmination of this eugenics program having gotten away from control of the powers that be and becoming the 'Kwisatz Haderach', the Jedi the bene gesserit, with the end being some kind of ascension for Rey and the Sith having steered this all along for millenia.

It was a re-hash of the old Star Wars with Team Diversity going against the Evil White Patriarchy. My guess is that they intend to explain the embarrassing Mary Sue nature like by going the Dune 'Kwisatz Haderach' route where she is the product of a shadow eugenics breeding program to make a super being.

In fact, I'm not so sure they won't just borrow that as a trope. Abrams is in the age group to have just been old enough to be a Dune cult follower before the horrible 80's movie destroyed the obscure franchise. They may even ret-con the Force to fit this as the product an ages old attempt to create a super being. Abrams basically going to turn Star Wars into Dune with the force being the spice, Rey being the culmination of this eugenics program having gotten away from control of the powers that be and becoming the 'Kwisatz Haderach', the Jedi the bene gesserit, with the end being some kind of ascension for Rey and the Sith having steered this all along for millenia.

She's no more of a Mary Sue than Luke was in Episode 4. Or Jesus Skywalker for the entire fucking prequel trilogy. Luke didn't falter until episodes 5 and 6. He was basically perfect at everything in ANH. We need to wait and see how the other two movies handle the character before making the Mary Sue call. It's also not like the series ever really bothered with "shades of grey". It was evil space Nazi's vs good guy hippies from day one. It was always a series meant for all audiences, designed to be watched and understood by kids. Most of us got into Star Wars when we were children. The only time Star Wars ever delved into more depth and maturity was with the EU novels. Even then it was still mostly pure good vs pure evil with little to no grey area. TFA has it's problems but at least it was a hell of a lot more "mature" than the prequels. Better shot and better written too. Better acted as well, to a point.

She's no more of a Mary Sue than Luke was in Episode 4.
Luke was an impatient young ranch hand that liked to tinker with droids and occasionally shoot rodents with his blaster rifle, and had no other skillset.

He was impulsive and dumb, and was almost killed by a sandman that snuck up on him completely unaware, and despite no particular skill on the part of the sandman kicked Luke's ass who just laid there like a bitch. Luckily, he was rescued (unlike our Mary Sue that would have kicked their ass, and rescued her rescuer), only to get really close to getting himself killed seconds later out of pure impulsive stupidity, if it weren't again for the luck that the storm troopers had already left.

He was a tag-along, not having left his ranch before and letting Obi Wan take the lead. Then aboard the millenium, he proved himself completely inept with no confidence until he was hand-held and walked through using really basic feelings of the force to anticipate shots. With a blaster, he was a horrible shot, missing almost all of his shots, and then let the princess defend them. Yes, he did shoot down two Tie Fighters from the turret gun, but only after a lot of shooting, and nothing like Mary Sue who pulled a ridiculously impossible maneuver to line up her gun with the ship after an insane ground loop. His flying was nothing fancy, just pointing in a straight line and staying in formation, until again he had his hand held with assistance walking him through using the force to feel for the shot.

He didn't get good with the force until Yoda trained him over a long period of time, and having a vision quest, and even then wasn't exactly master-material yet.

So to say that Luke was as unbelievably flawless a character as Rey is pretty laughable. Luke is given room to grow as a person and as a Jedi, but Rey is already master material.

Needs moar Jar Jar :p

jar-jar-binks.jpg

No kidding, even through the books (ignoring the awful episodes 1,2,3) Luke didn't become "uber" until quite a ways in. And a lot of that uber-ness was from him staying the hell AWAY from every conflict and being very, very careful what he directly stepped into. He gained wisdom from decades of the force. Not infinite power.

Back