ROG Motherboard Owners - Do you use the ROG software at all?

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
I just completed a new build with my first ROG motherboard and installed all of the software included - AI Suite, ROG HD Audio, the network shaping tool, and everything else. I played around with it but wasn't too impressed by it, but whatever.

Anyway, last night I started experiencing some weird crashes and crazy audio distortions so I checked event viewer and saw that a component of AI Suite was causing my crashes.

I decided to uninstall every piece of Asus/ROG software as well as the Realtek audio drivers. After doing this my audio issues are gone and my system has been stable.

I was just wondering is there really any reason to use the ROG software? It seemed awfully gimmicky IMHO.

I never use bundled software. I overclock through UEFI. I install third party monitoring software after my OS installation is complete.

I used the AI Suite a little bit, but the rest of it was just bloatware IMO.

I use AI Suite III for the stupid fan controller and the usb charger +
I do wonder sometimes if this is why I can't get a stable overclock at 4.2 or 4.3 even though the temperatures are fine. But I have to say after updating all of the software from Asus website I don't have any crashes or weird issues with Ai suite.

ROG ramdisk is solid

The boot 2 bios thing is very useful

I've heard some people say that the program that comes with the Audio drivers, the directional radar thing is really a good cheat for FPS games if you can get it working.

I've seen worse software bundles but AI suite is complex and a lot of people have trouble with it and/or it is flawed.

I have an older ROG Crosshair III board that came with a program called My Logo. It allows you to replace the standard bios splash screen with whatever picture you want. Some might think that's gimmicky, but I love it.

Do the new ROG boards still include this?

I love ROG boards... and thats its... I hate the glimicks, I hate the software, I hate all the stupid shit they try to market and fail at.

I have been using asus boards for over a decade and I do not think I have ever used anything they have included in the box other than the physical board and maybe a PATA cable or something I didnt have at the time.

I wish they would make the board, ship it with enough cables to get it to work and leave the rest of the crap to aftermarket companies and sell the board $50 cheaper. But thats just me.

As for AI Suite... Never have installed it, the one time I did it crashed my system and when I uninstalled it, it borked my win7 install (blue screen loop @ boot)... YAY.

I have an older ROG Crosshair III board that came with a program called My Logo. It allows you to replace the standard bios splash screen with whatever picture you want. Some might think that's gimmicky, but I love it.

Do the new ROG boards still include this?

I believe the Hero board I had came with that feature.

I had AI Suite installed on my last Windows install....changed the boot splash with it to an [H] logo...and never used it again. There are far better temps/fan monitor programs.

I've started to like ai suite more and more. On win 7 had problems with it when I got the M6H maybe 3 months ago. Since then they've updated ai suite twice and I've recently gone to win 8.1. It's a deep program. Not perfect but they've clearly thrown some effort into it.

Most recently after figuring out the nightmare that is Intel rapid START installation, "Away Mode" is working such that in hybrid sleep my fans still operate and the PCIE cards still light up. So at night I get a faintly glowing but hibernating pc.

The cpu is set to 10 max even if you have prime95 left open this way, and it still controls things like Nvidia experience led patterns while hibernating. I have my 2 cards set so the geforce gtx lighting breathes slowly. Even the evga active sli bridge follows the lighting pattern. I'm easily amused but I just sit there and stare at it. I like it that when I get up to pee at night I can see it glowing faintly in the corner even tho the computer is asleep and all the fans are off accept the cpu fan silently working.

I'm using AISuite on my Hero. I think its a bit bloated, but I actually really like the PWM fan control software setup. Being able to do custom fan speed curves is very helpful and intuitive, unlike some other programs that just give you a % speed number and no ability to set a curve.

I never use bundled software. I overclock through UEFI. I install third party monitoring software after my OS installation is complete.

This. I did use the SSD cleaner thing before I installed Windows though.
No noticeable difference to me.

EDIT...
I'm using AISuite on my Hero. I think its a bit bloated, but I actually really like the PWM fan control software setup. Being able to do custom fan speed curves is very helpful and intuitive, unlike some other programs that just give you a % speed number and no ability to set a curve.

Ah, I didn't know you could do custom curves...
Does it require software to run constantly?

Last edited:
This. I did use the SSD cleaner thing before I installed Windows though.
No noticeable difference to me.

EDIT...

Ah, I didn't know you could do custom curves...
Does it require software to run constantly?

I don't believe so, but if/when you change the PWM settings in UEFI you lose your custom curve. The curve should load up on system boot, rather than later at Windows start.

I'm not entirely sure. If I set the curve to full speed (all fans full blast), I don't think it goes to full speed until the windows login screen, which would indicate its running as a process/service rather than occurring at boot. Either way it doesn't seem to require a ton of system resources and the fan management is nice. All the other features (OC, power profiles) are useless to me, since for overclocking I'll use the UEFI.

I usually skip the software and us the OC panels if they have them. (R4BE and M6E)

The only software I use the the ROGConnect so that I can control my bench system through my laptop to adjust CPU speeds and voltages on the fly. Makes it easier to save your CPU when those brutal CPU tests come up in 3DMark Vantage and such.

AI Suite III is garbage and the ROG Audio is just a gimmick in my opinion. Get a halfway decent DAC/Headphone amp (hell a Fiio E7 blows it away imo) and you'll be glad you did.

Going from an ASRock extreme4 z87 to the M6H the audio is better in some ways. The shielding on the hero is better or something because it seems to have almost completely gotten rid of my "DC thump" problem which was very bad with previous board. Now I just get a tiny pop instead of a big thump.

The aisuite curves seem to work on boot if secure boot is properly set up in win 8. That was another thing I noticed after changing from Windows legacy install to a full uefi win 8.1 install. I knew something was going right or at least different when 8.1 splash install screen with normal swirling balls was a ROG symbol instead of a Windows flag.

Just AISuite for PWM control of my pumps and monitoring sensor data. I used TurboV EVO when I was fussing around with getting overclocks correct but now that never gets touched.

Tried it a few times. And quickly found out it was more trouble than it's worth. And not to mention it is hard to get out your system also. But they do have a uninstaller made for it now that cleans out everything and nothing is left behind.

Far too many free software applications that do the same and isn't bloated. So my vote is no for it. Use the bios and be happy and use a third party app if you need it.

The Z87 Maximus Impact VI has poor drivers for the audio card and the 600 ohm head phone amp doesn't work.

This is why I went with Gigabyte this round. Asus seems to be having issues with everything right now. I maybe in for a treat with Gigabyte. But I will take my chances.

The Z87 Maximus Impact VI has poor drivers for the audio card and the 600 ohm head phone amp doesn't work.

ROG Ramdisk is the only thing useful I've found in the software bundled with the ROG RIV BE. You don't even need a ROG board, or an ASUS board for that matter though. I was using it with an MSI X58 board before and it had full functionality.

Back