ROG Hero IX with two NVMe's?

Slickdvl

Gawd
I currently have one nvme in the main m2 slot - can I add a 970 evo plus in the secondary slot without affecting the GPU? I only have a gpu (1080TI) and a soundcard installed. I think I understood that some of my sata ports will be disabled - which is fine by me.

I currently have one nvme in the main m2 slot - can I add a 970 evo plus in the secondary slot without affecting the GPU? I only have a gpu (1080TI) and a soundcard installed. I think I understood that some of my sata ports will be disabled - which is fine by me.
I think you will be fine as long they are not all loaded at once. IIRC GPUs really aren’t capable of loading pci channels and although SSDs can you shouldn’t see it unless data is moving through them. I’m not entirely sure if basic program access counts but I don’t think so.

From looking over the manual for that and similar Asus boards (Z270-A), it looks like as long as it is PCIe NVMe and not SATA it won't affect the SATA slots. It doesn't reference changing the PCIe lanes away from the primary x16 slot. I would have to think that something gets disabled even if it is other PCIe expansion slots lower on the board even if it doesn't reference that. Z370 is just a rehashed Z270 with the "updated" socket and it alters the PCIe lanes depending on what is connected. Shame it isn't documented better.

I have since installed the second. So far no issues - both cards were set to pcie and 4x. I’m pretty sure 2 sata channels were disabled - but I never had anything on them anyway.

Back