Rockstar really stepped up their game with Max Payne 3

Vicinity

2[H]4U
So I bit on the Amazon sale of MP3, and I gotta say, I'm impressed. I'm a big fan of Max Payne, so it's probably a little biased, but this game is really good. The odd part is, I've watched more cinematics than I've spent time playing.

I remember when Valve first launched HL2, and the game looked fantastic and the level of realism (at the time), was extraordinary. The never really pulled you out of play, the "cutscenes" were actual game play. While Rockstar didn't follow this approach, they've gotten really good at story telling, GTA3 was alright, I've grade it at B movie. The rest of the GTA3 series games kept with that mood, but each had more story to it. By GTA 4 and RDR, they really got into the details of the story, while keeping the visuals up to par.

Anyway, Max Payne really feels like an interactive movie. I feel its necessary to point out I don't mean that in a bad way. The cut scenes deliver a good bit of story (1/2 minutes per, and still have that classic MP feel), and they smoothly transition to gameplay allowing you to "play the action" of the story, and it really ties together nicely.

While not a huge "game changer", I think Rockstar really is learning and making their games work. They are definitely improving. I was sorely put off by GTA4 (it felt clunky), but I gave RDR a shot and I really enjoyed it. Now playing MP3, I'm amped again for GTA5, because I think if they put as much effort in to it as they did to Max Payne, it'll be a damn good game. I dare say, Rockstar is in Valve territory of game making, just without the damn wait.

tl;dr
-Max Payne 3 is what would be called in movie terms a "Blockbuster".
-Max Payne 3 is the "The Dark Knight" of games.

That is all.

Nice to hear you enjoy the game a lot. I have read a lot of mixed reviews about the game but it just goes to show how little reviewers' opinions actually matter most of the time.

Just started into LA Noire myself- and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed at the facial animations in this game. It's a clear leap ahead of anything else I have ever seen and at last reaches the "real enough to be believed" level of correlation between mouth movements and the audio I hear. it really improves the immersion. I know a lot of people didn't like LA Noire but this kind of game really appeals to me so I think I am in for a very enjoyable ride.

I am a huge fan of Max Payne 1 and 2 and have been looking forward to this one. Missed out on the Amazon sale but Im sure I'll catch it eventually. Good to hear positive reviews on it.

Nice to hear you enjoy the game a lot. I have read a lot of mixed reviews about the game but it just goes to show how little reviewers' opinions actually matter most of the time.

Just started into LA Noire myself- and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed at the facial animations in this game. It's a clear leap ahead of anything else I have ever seen and at last reaches the "real enough to be believed" level of correlation between mouth movements and the audio I hear. it really improves the immersion. I know a lot of people didn't like LA Noire but this kind of game really appeals to me so I think I am in for a very enjoyable ride.

I have to say, I'm one of the people who didn't like LA Noire, but only because it wasn't the type of game that interests me (like you said), but it was an exceptionally done game, and I did appreciate it for what it was. It also wasn't bad for a console game (it was the last game I played on my 360). But I don't really care to play detective so I couldn't finish it.

I am a huge fan of Max Payne 1 and 2 and have been looking forward to this one. Missed out on the Amazon sale but Im sure I'll catch it eventually. Good to hear positive reviews on it.

It totally catches the feel of the original, even when the setting has changed. It's still good ole Max. It feels a little more gritty, too. I was feeling queezy about actually spending so much on a game, (since Steam, I haven't spent over 15 on any one game, minus Skyrim), but I feel the game was easily worth it.

the game does stay true to the originals which is good because i remember them as being one of the most fun games i played when i was younger.

Respectfully have to disagree..
The graphics are OK, nothing earth shattering. If you disable MSAA you can run at over 120FPS with current hardware.

The controls are clunky and entire game is scripted. The enemy AI is nothing to write home about.

I really wanted to love this game. I loved MP1 and MP2, but it's back to Battlefield after two hours of trying to convince myself that I would love this game. I don't.

Respectfully have to disagree..
The graphics are OK, nothing earth shattering. If you disable MSAA you can run at over 120FPS with current hardware.

The controls are clunky and entire game is scripted. The enemy AI is nothing to write home about.

I really wanted to love this game. I loved MP1 and MP2, but it's back to Battlefield after two hours of trying to convince myself that I would love this game. I don't.

What difficulty did you play?

I agree, the controls are actually rather painful, but I got used to them. I can see this being a million times easier with a gamepad (the other MP games sucked with a KBM too).

Compared to 99% of other games released today, the graphics are stellar.

What difficulty did you play?

I agree, the controls are actually rather painful, but I got used to them. I can see this being a million times easier with a gamepad (the other MP games sucked with a KBM too).

Compared to 99% of other games released today, the graphics are stellar.

MP1 and MP2 were beyond perfect with a KBM combination, this one was no different. YMMV I suppose.

I played on normal difficulty, died several times though. AI was good and I liked the transition between cut-scene/gameplay. Then again, I didn't really play this one for gameplay (first and second I did). I played this one for story, primarily. And I got it for 30$ to boot.

The only thing putting me off getting this is hearing that the game has a hell of a lot of cutscene-spam.

The only thing putting me off getting this is hearing that the game has a hell of a lot of cutscene-spam.

Comic book style, or live-action then straight to game-play style, how the latter not better? The story's pretty damn good, worth playing just for it really. You can always play the game on "Arcade" mode and skip the story if you really want to.

If you don't like story in your game, this is not for you. I warn you, you WILL NOT LIKE THIS GAME.

Like I said, it's not a mindless shooter, it works like a movie/comic book, you watch the setup to a scene, you play the action, and you watch the outcome. It's outstandingly done on Rockstars part, everything is smooth, you really have to pay attention because the transitions are so smooth.

EDIT: And everyone, man up and put it on Hard, the game is a lot more challenging. I could beat the first two in a few hours on anything but hard.

I didn't play 1 or 2, but I bit on the sale and feel like I am getting my money's worth with 3. The story is really compelling and I would imagine even more so if you played the first 2. Game play takes a bit getting used to, it is kind of the opposite of Deus Ex: HR. The more you charge forward the better you do, as opposed to just hiding under cover all the time. This gives quite the adrenaline rush. For me it's head shots only in bullet time so I couldn't imagine playing this on a controller. The AI is much better than in recent games I have played, but there is always a way to outsmart them if you try hard enough. I would have felt ripped off at $60, but at $30, I feel like I got my money's worth easily. I wouldn't play through it again after beating, but I would buy part 4 on sale to continue my adventures with senor Payne.

If you don't like story in your game, this is not for you. I warn you, you WILL NOT LIKE THIS GAME.

Like I said, it's not a mindless shooter, it works like a movie/comic book, you watch the setup to a scene, you play the action, and you watch the outcome. It's outstandingly done on Rockstars part, everything is smooth, you really have to pay attention because the transitions are so smooth.

EDIT: And everyone, man up and put it on Hard, the game is a lot more challenging. I could beat the first two in a few hours on anything but hard.

Oh I like story, but I don't want to be hitting the Esc key for the majority of the time when I replay the game multiple times.

It's annoying that even in Arcade Mode you can't completely skip some of those cut scene transitions.

Yeah, you know, since he said something I thought I'd go in there and check, and even Arcade has some of them.

Hopefully Rockstar releases a skip fix.

Yeah, you know, since he said something I thought I'd go in there and check, and even Arcade has some of them.

Hopefully Rockstar releases a skip fix.

I just think they're loading times really. Doubtful of a fix. Even some of the "loading" scenes where nothing is going on are pretty lengthy. "Max Payne 3: Let's load assets and game textures", :D

Isn't this game just another console port? Rockstar is horrible at console ports.

Isn't this game just another console port? Rockstar is horrible at console ports.

GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas
Max Payne 2
Manhunt 1 and 2
Bully
LA Noire

They make 1 game run crappy on old PC's and now suddenly they are bad at console ports?

I just think they're loading times really. Doubtful of a fix. Even some of the "loading" scenes where nothing is going on are pretty lengthy. "Max Payne 3: Let's load assets and game textures", :D

I guess I can let that slide if there are 35GBs of textures and assets :cool:.

I guess I can let that slide if there are 35GBs of textures and assets :cool:.

Well, I have it installed on my SSD, aside from watching cinematics and when trying to skip they say "Still Loading", I haven't seen a loading screen. So for 30+GB, it's not bad at all.

I've been enjoying Max Payne 3, too. I love the seamless transitions between the cinematics and the game. Plus, it's just a very polished and good looking game. I just got a SSD, so I'm guessing the lack of loading issues has been related to that.
IMO, the problem with LA Noire was the pacing, or maybe the devs just ran out of steam. The beginning of the game is good and they do a good job of introducing things. However, the last 1/2 of the game is just worthless and a complete letdown. Once you get out of homicide, you might as well just quit playing.

Simply:

Game sucks (I found it boring and cheaply written)
Cinematics suck (wtf is up with the CRT type screen flashes?)
Annoying random words popping up in cutscenes instead of comic series (wtf? Why did they pick those certain words?)
Max is now just annoying. Drink drink drink, whine whine whine, I felt no character attachment like I did in the first two.
The other characters are equally annoying. It's like you're on Jersey Shore:Brazil.

I played until you ride up in a boat and just couldn't take it anymore.

Departure from the originals. MP2>MP1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MP3.

YMMV but I do get a lot of flak for not liking it...I guess I'm just old school and "gay".

I loved Max Payne 3. I am pretty much the biggest fanboy of the first 2 you will find (I have played both over 10 times each) and am stunned with how well they kept to the series tone and structure. Ive already beaten the game twice, might do a replay when I get a chance.

The Cinematics are some of the best ive seen done in a game no doubt, the story is pretty goddamn good Max Payne, and Max gets some great character development in the latter parts of the game (Moreso than the first 2 games even).

Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Id happily have bought 2 copies.

Simply:

Annoying random words popping up in cutscenes instead of comic series (wtf? Why did they pick those certain words?)
Max is now just annoying. Drink drink drink, whine whine whine, I felt no character attachment like I did in the first two.
The other characters are equally annoying. It's like you're on Jersey Shore:Brazil.

YMMV but I do get a lot of flak for not liking it...I guess I'm just old school and "gay".

You must've played a different game than I did. It's not a perfect game...nothing is...but damn.

Simply:

Um, yeah, that's Max. The cop whose wife and infant child were murdered in the prologue to the first game...

The guy who chased baddies left and right, popping painkillers to continue kicking ass.

You must've played a different game than I did. It's not a perfect game...nothing is...but damn.

Everyone's a critic, like those homo's on the rotten tomato's site (not calling the guy you quoted a D-bag at all).

As long as he didn't like Diablo 3 more than this, I guess it's a YMMV thing.

Everyone's a critic, like those homo's on the rotten tomato's site (not calling the guy you quoted a D-bag at all).

As long as he didn't like Diablo 3 more than this, I guess it's a YMMV thing.

Didn't play diablo 3 and have no interest after all that I've heard and seen/watched.

A lot of the new games are pissing me off when it comes to the "progression" in graphics or gameplay. Guess I'll have to take a break for a while...

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/cronik93/9tobxg.gif

I also paid the $30 for this game from amazon and I must say this game is amazing!

I have been glued to my seat playing non-stop and thank god there are none of those stupid drive here, drive there, drive here missions. The visuals are amazing and the story is amazing as well. I never played MP1 or MP2, but am a huge fan of this game!

I'm at the final location in the airport, wheew its a toughy.

This, I don't want to pay sticker price for a cutscene game. Although the originals had them in storyboard form, they weren't that often, usually at the end of a objective.

Game is pretty good although I haven't finished it yet because of a PC hardware failure has me doing a fresh install of Win 7. I was enjoying the game although I kinda suck at it. :)

What's multiplayer like? I was watching the MLG Professional Event (lmao I know) which was basically a great running paid advertisement for the launch of Max Payne, and it looked fairly decent.

What's multiplayer like? I was watching the MLG Professional Event (lmao I know) which was basically a great running paid advertisement for the launch of Max Payne, and it looked fairly decent.

It's laggy, unpredictable, nothing new, and quite boring. IMO anyway.

Just got done with the campaign on the 360 version. It's definitely one of the more enjoyable single-player games I've played in a while. There were some things I found annoying though - half of the enemies in the game just take far too many bullets to put down. Obviously headshots correct this but trying to nail them consistently with a failpad is pretty tedious. I also didn't feel like the game's health system was balanced properly with the action - there are so many instances where you take compulsory hits, like when an action sequence begins with you in the open taking bullets instantly. To me the game felt like it was very much designed with regenerating health in mind and that the painkiller system was a last-minute fix to appease the audience.

I liked how awkwardly Max moves - the game sacrifices a small amount of fluidity to reflect a little of Max's middle-aged, alcoholic, drug-addicted and slightly overweight condition. Physics are awesome - I shoot-dodged sideways down some stairs in the Stadium level and when hitting the ground, I kept on rolling down. Things like that are really cool and I find them far more impressive than anything PhysX has delivered so far. The action is quite brutal and the slow-mo killshots to end a firefight are quite satisfying, although I was often reminded of how much better Sniper Elite V2 did it.

I think Rockstar did a great job maintaining the tone of the previous Max Payne games even with using terrible, terrible things like DAYLIGHT and COLOUR. In a field where the usual protagonist is the perfect, infallible alpha male saving the day, it's very refreshing to have such a flawed character at the centre for a change. Heroes do not automatically become happy once they avenge the deaths of their family, like so many B-grade action flicks have taught us. Incorporating the health system into the story (popping so many painkillers to stay alive has developed into a condition Max flimsily tries to justify throughout the game) is also very neat. The supporting cast is fairly weak though and is really just the usual array of characters present in Rockstar titles.

The game also probably has the most unique use of a limited weapon capacity I've seen yet.

Back