Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto IV for the PC.

Please quote where I said mouse/kb = be all end all, period. :rolleyes:
Talk about a lack of reading comprehension.

I read and comprehend very well thank you. But you're missing the point. We're reading you. And you've been read... like a book. No need to try and defend it.

That's all.

I read and comprehend very well thank you. But you're missing the point. We're reading you. And you've been read... like a book. No need to try and defend it.

That's all.

Oh, ok, so in other words:

"What I said was out of haste, and now that I am being called out on it -- to prove my point, I'll just say 'proof, who needs proof'"...

Brilliant...

For future reference, please don't waste my time with such nonsense. Thank you. :)

K, lets get this back on track please. If you 2 want to pms all over each other, do it via pm.

Anybody know the release date yet if there is one? I have it for 360, but I might pick it up for pc too..

Cool, I've been waiting patiently for this game to come to PC. I think this will be the premier version of the game.

I've avoided the footage of the console versions as much as possible so to not spoil it.

Things are looking up with The Witcher Enhanced Version, Stalker - Clear Sky, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 on the horizon... sequels aplenty!

Its amazing how humans always need to fight about little differences and then wage war untill they both end up us losers in the eyes of the majority. I will tell you guys once and for all why the PC version was delayed and was not released with the console versions.

Imagine the amount of sales that would be lost if they released a PC version similtaneously with console versions. A lot of people would purchase the PC version instead of a console version as it has better graphics, controls and other benefits. That would lead to a loss in sales for the console versions and dont forget the people that would otherwise buy it for consoles but instead pirate the PC version as they can get it for free.

What rockstar did is what any person with half a brain would do. Release console versions first and force people who cannot wait to play the game to purchase it and then when the PC version is released 6 months later they will buy it again for the above mentioned features and to clamp down on the amount of sales lost for console versions by pirates. I am one of those people. Ever since GTA 3 was released I always waited for the PC version and did not touch the console versions even though my brother bought them. This has been the case for GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas. My brother bought them on release then I bought the PC version for myself when released :)

I for one hate playing games like GTA and other FPS games on consoles as i feel limited for some reason. Ok this post is getting long sorry guys. To cut it short I cant wait for this game, have been looking forward to it ever since it was released on consoles and have resisted;)

Its amazing how humans always need to fight about little differences and then wage war untill they both end up us losers in the eyes of the majority. I will tell you guys once and for all why the PC version was delayed and was not released with the console versions.

Imagine the amount of sales that would be lost if they released a PC version similtaneously with console versions. A lot of people would purchase the PC version instead of a console version as it has better graphics, controls and other benefits. That would lead to a loss in sales for the console versions and dont forget the people that would otherwise buy it for consoles but instead pirate the PC version as they can get it for free.

What rockstar did is what any person with half a brain would do. Release console versions first and force people who cannot wait to play the game to purchase it and then when the PC version is released 6 months later they will buy it again for the above mentioned features and to clamp down on the amount of sales lost for console versions by pirates. I am one of those people. Ever since GTA 3 was released I always waited for the PC version and did not touch the console versions even though my brother bought them. This has been the case for GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas. My brother bought them on release then I bought the PC version for myself when released :)

I for one hate playing games like GTA and other FPS games on consoles as i feel limited for some reason. Ok this post is getting long sorry guys. To cut it short I cant wait for this game, have been looking forward to it ever since it was released on consoles and have resisted;)

try explaining that to damonposey

Is he the one that owns a 95 Ford Taurus? Whoever owns that steaming pile of shit should stop investing in consoles, computers and games and buy some real transportation. I'd rather ride my bike than rely on that thing.

try explaining that to damonposey

try explaining what? everything he's saying makes sense. I bought gta4 on the ps3 though, because games that come out on the PC after coming out on the consoles 6 months later feels like a cheap hooker. like I'm fucking someone whos already been gangbanged a few minutes before. I want to get the experience when it is fresh in the world.

I had a great experience with gta4 for the ps3, but at the same time I'm excited that I'll be able to play MP more effectively with a kb/mouse setup, and also enjoying it at 1920x1080 with AA and AF on my Samsung 46" 1080p TV, assuming it doesn't run like a dog at those settings.

Except for the fact that building a computer is far far easier and more accessible to the average joe than building a car.

You can literally build your own computer after just spending 2-3 hours researching online.
There are entire tutorials, and even videos online now on sites such as Yotube which detail each step point by point, even indicating what parts to purchase and where to purchase them from.

So, Chombo was right, people are stupid AND lazy.

Instead of investing 2-3 hours learning something that will forever be invaluable to them, an investment of their time in trade for saving them money down the line, most people choose to remain ignorant and choose to spend their money foolishly.

By comparison, try building your own car after 2-3 hours of research, heh....good luck with that. :p
I hate to just come out and flame, but you people are being elitist fucking assholes.

Not everyone has interest in building their or computer, or playing games on their computer.

Many people aren't stupid and lazy (to be fair ... many are). Not everyone is going to research every little thing they do and learn the inner-workings of putting a computer together. Besides researching what parts to buy, there's troubleshooting and other issues which can be very time-consuming, especially for a beginner. Some people aren't going to go through all that trouble just for some performance, particularly people with jobs and/or families. Why the fuck would they, when they can just pick up a PS3/Xbox360 and PLUG IT INTO THEIR TV. Look at that: clean, simple, no fuss, no muss. They can have their friends over, sit on the couch, and play some Soul Calibur or something.

I have a friend who owns a computer but has absolutely no interest in gaming on it. Why? He just doesn't care to learn. He's not stupid, he's not lazy--he just would rather play his console.

But guys like you give other IT people a bad name. You are being very elitist and a total fucking snob. It isn't up to you to say people spend their money foolishly just because you have some sort of holier-than-thou attitude. If someone chooses to buy a console because they don't want to deal with the headaches of PC gaming, that is their fucking business.

Grow up already.

EDIT:

And the car analogy IS a good one. Just because it has a steeper learning curve doesn't make the point invalid. You're just talking about a matter of degree.

I don't know shit about cars. But I know how to change oil and a few other minor tasks. But do I change the oil in my car? No, I don't. It's easier for me to just bring it in and have the shop deal with it. I don't think that makes me lazy. It's just not something I care to do.

My wife and I have a friend coming over to our house tomorrow to look at a little problem we're having. One of our kitchen cabinets started coming off the wall because it had too much weight (too many dishes) in it. We could probably address the problem ourselves (as we have with many home improvement projects), but it would be easier and have better results if we have our expert friend do it.

So in your eyes, we're lazy, right? Because putting a cabinet back up on a wall probably has a smaller learning curve than learning to build a PC, so I guess we must be.

amen ghostchamber, ive been trying to get this across as well. but your post should be a damn sticky in the gaming forum

I'm still waiting for Hamixda to come to terms with the fact that nobody ever wants his/her input on anything, ever. Having read his/her fanatical posts on Crysis, it's indisputible that he/she is a bore and a dullard.

EDIT:

And the car analogy IS a good one. Just because it has a steeper learning curve doesn't make the point invalid. You're just talking about a matter of degree.
No, I'm sorry, it is not. Steeper learning curve ? Matter of degree ?

Yeah, whatever you say. I do my own brakes and they are a bitch and 3/4. The manual labor involved in a relatively simple task on a car makes the two things incomparable. And even that simple job requires tools beyond the standard hammer, screwdriver, pliers - a C-clamp to reset the brake piston. And even THEN, you still have to either buy new rotors, or have them turned by a professional. Building one ? Right, they are practically the same.

And that is similar to a PC that requires a screwdriver to assemble.

I will admit I was just piling on with the stupid and lazy tags, but the two things are not even remotely comparable.

I hope this is the right thread to necro...

GTA IV on PC received an update yesterday to add compatibility for modern hardware.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235650888

• Added error code "WTV270" to indicate a problem with connecting to Windows Live Sign in Assistant / Games for Windows Live Servers.
  • Added Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 to compatible OS check.
  • Added Display Controller image in Controller Configuration.
  • Fixed a bug which made completing "Out of Commission" mission impossible when frame rate exceeds 60fps.
  • Fixed a bug with the "Resource Usage" indicator on graphics cards with more than 2GB of VRAM.
  • Fixed a bug that restricted settings changes when using modern video cards.
  • Fixed a bug with the map crosshair on certain resolutions.
  • Fixed a bug with text scrolling in "Brief" Menu.
  • Fixed "drawlist overflow" crash.
  • Minor performance optimizations.

Huh. That's pretty cool. In spite of its millions of flaws, I still put in tons and tons of time into GTA4. I can't explain why, but I liked it more than the (vastly superior in nearly every way) GTA5. Something about it just made me feel as though I was there. Liberty City felt more "real" than VC or SA.
I'll probably end up playing through it again one of these days.

Rockstar has always impressed me with their support. There has been some buzz about them adding VR to GTA5. I think its the first thing that would make me consider buying some VR hardware.

When I think about revisiting GTA4 I remember those bowling dates with Roman and then I fire up RDR instead.

HA! Yeah, those are definitely some of the many awful things within that game...although if you don't care about the achievement for keeping your friends happy, you don't ever have to do any of that.

HA! Yeah, those are definitely some of the many awful things within that game...although if you don't care about the achievement for keeping your friends happy, you don't ever have to do any of that.

Well you do have to do it at least once in the mission that introduces that crap, I always did the quick simple things like getting food. Once they like you just accept any requests and then call them right back to cancel, I always found it funny that politely refusing made them dislike you but always cancelling was just fine.

It's funny that they finally fixed the bug in Out of Commission though I seem to recall having to set a framerate limiter to around 30fps not 60fps to get around it.

Nice update but I wonder why GFWL wasn't removed from the game.
GFWL + SecuROM = horrible customer experience. The pirate have it easy.

I would guess that translating the game from GFWL to Social Club would be too much work for what they are making on it. But I think moving it to SC and removing the DRM might be a way to spark some sales.

I didn't even notice that GFWL was still necessary. That's a bit ridiculous. I think GTA4 and Street Fighter x Tekken are the only games I still care about that keep using that trash.
As much as people seem to hate the Win10 store, it's 100x better than GFWL.

its great that they are still releasing updates but the driving and walking and running still feel like you are wading through a sea of molasses.

its great that they are still releasing updates but the driving and walking and running still feel like you are wading through a sea of molasses.
I doubt it will ever be fixed without spending weeks/months on optimizing for PC. The port from console was rough in the beginning and probably isn't worth their time/money to further improve performance at this point.

Judging from the previous game ports, they didn't seem to care about the PC until GTA V.

San Andreas was great on the PC. It eventually became a broken mess as different hardware (and monitor sizes) crept in, but it was top notch for a few years after release.
IV felt like the console version with a ton of options they never bothered to optimize. It's like they were shooting for a 30fps experience and didn't put much thought into anything else.

San Andreas was great on the PC. It eventually became a broken mess as different hardware (and monitor sizes) crept in, but it was top notch for a few years after release.
IV felt like the console version with a ton of options they never bothered to optimize. It's like they were shooting for a 30fps experience and didn't put much thought into anything else.
Yeah, my experience with San Andreas came later and though it is playable, it's rough around the edges and could use an update or two. Maybe we'll see a remaster in 10 years.

Seems like the main thread to post this in.

upload_2020-1-10_14-34-17.png

Hot off the presses, little more than half an hour ago Grand Theft Auto IV and all associated packages have been removed for purchase from Steam. What is going on? Rockstar moving it and possibly older games to their store exclusively?

https://steamdb.info/sub/6516/history/
https://steamdb.info/search/?a=sub&q=grand+theft+auto+iv

Right now GTA4 (the the DLC bundle, Episodes from Liberty City) don't work via the Rockstar Store. The earlier and later games seem to, but IV doesn't. Hopefully this is just Rockstar closing that loop. I still have a soft spot for IV and even re-installed it last week.

Rockstar confirms that Games for Windows Live is the reason that GTAIV was removed from sale. Key generation was dependent on the GFWL service, and they can longer provide keys for new purchasers. The good news is it looks like they're finally working on patching it out, as they say they're exploring "other options" for distribution and will share information as soon as they can. Why Rockstar waited 7 years after GFWL was shut down to do something about it is unknown.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/13/...mes-for-windows-live-pc-gaming-key-generation

When I installed the game last week it was still using GFWL, but it was a weird "lite" version that seemed to authenticate the key and nothing else.
I think Street Fighter x Tekken is the only other game I have that uses the service. It still downloads the old/bloated version of GFWL and it's mostly broken.
With that game the community has actually modded it to not only remove GFWL, but to allow for online play without it.

Grand Theft Auto IV is returning to Steam soon with a "Complete Edition" that removes Games for Windows Live. Rockstar are not implementing Steamworks in the game, meaning multiplayer, leaderboards and achievements will not be coming back. Some radio stations will be temporarily unavailable as they continue to work on licensing issues. If you do not already own Episodes from Liberty City the expansion will be made available to you when the Complete Edition goes live. People who purchased the game through GFWL will be able to link it to their Rockstar account and continue playing the game. People who own the physical version will be able to activate their key on Steam.

Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition goes live on March 19, 2020.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV/

I bought the original game from Steam, but they made me purchase the expansions via GFWL, which in turn unlocked the content as a separate game on Steam. I have a friend with the game and he has everything contained within a single title and the option to toggle over to the expansions.
Still seems kinda messy, but at least they did something. GTA4 might be the game I regret loving the most. It's such a horrible game, but the atmosphere keeps me hooked.

You are absolutely wrong, wrong, and how shall I put it, wrong.
The reason it didn't come out on the PC first is beyond obvious.

Rockstar knows that GTA is its' cash cow.

What does any company with a cash cow try to do?
They try to maximize sales of their cash cow by targetting the consumer base which will generate the most amount of revenue for them.

Now, let's not be totally naive here and pretend that if it came out simultaneously for both console and PC's that the PC version wouldn't totally overshadow the console version, and also draw millions of pirates attentions to the torrent and rapidshare based sites.

What happens to Rockstar's cash cow?
Take one good guess.

Rockstar management aren't morons.
They know that they stand to make money on the PC, but only after demand for the console version has declined, once they have reached a point of saturation in that market, and only then will they try to sale what they can in other markets, which will be less significant than the console market, but at the same time, won't draw sales away from the console version either, because of the aforementioned level of saturation.

Now, performance, graphics, and gameplay wise, only a person who is in total denial would believe that the console version is the "targetted" version.
There is simply no arguing that the console is anything but that, consoles are by their very natures, limited.

Also, what are you going on about in terms of controls? :confused:

You speak as if you are totally oblivious of the fact that X360 gamepads and even PS2/PS3 or just about any other type of gamepad isn't available for the PC.
Even so, using a mouse/kb on foot is a far superior control scheme versus the sloppy, auto-aiming handicapped, gamepads.

I have an option to use my gaming mouse/kb or using my X360 pad.
You don't.
Even given that option, I will still opt for my gaming mouse/kb over the X360 pad.
Yeah, pretty much all PC games now support the Xbox controller so that’s a non-argument.

Back