Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto IV for the PC.

People who own the physical version will be able to activate their key on Steam.
It's a little confusing but it looks like it might only be that way for copies that haven't been activated on GFWL previously, they mention linking your account to a social club account for keys that have been previously activated on GFWL. The confusing part is that activating on Steam is mentioned under a "Physical Media" heading while the other is under a "Games for Windows Live Digital Store Purchases" heading.

That leaves me wondering what the deal is with my previously activated physical copies of the game and DLC. My guess is that I should at least be able to activate on the Rockstar launcher which I'm a little surprised isn't the the only option for the non-Steam version.

Yeah, pretty much all PC games now support the Xbox controller so that’s a non-argument.

You do realize the post you're responding to is quite old right? I'm still not sure how accurate it was but it was at least more accurate.

It's a little confusing but it looks like it might only be that way for copies that haven't been activated on GFWL previously, they mention linking your account to a social club account for keys that have been previously activated on GFWL. The confusing part is that activating on Steam is mentioned under a "Physical Media" heading while the other is under a "Games for Windows Live Digital Store Purchases" heading.

That leaves me wondering what the deal is with my previously activated physical copies of the game and DLC. My guess is that I should at least be able to activate on the Rockstar launcher which I'm a little surprised isn't the the only option for the non-Steam version.

You do realize the post you're responding to is quite old right? I'm still not sure how accurate it was but it was at least more accurate.
I clearly wasn’t paying attention. :oops:

IV is the only one that I haven't played. Might be time to give it a whirl.

It's OK; excellent for it's time and still a nice romp. Driving physics take getting used to; I like the more realistic driving, but it's hard coming from GTA V.

IV is the only one that I haven't played. Might be time to give it a whirl.

I feel that the story arch and atmosphere in GTA4 are the best of 'em all. It feels like New York. The DLC missions are equally good, too. I like the radio stations and variety of mission types, too.
However, the driving physics are awful. It's like every car has 1 gear and 1000 horsepower on ice. The shooting is also pretty rudimentary compared to 5, too. Luckily it's rarely as challenging, too. There are also lots of goofball missions with Niko's "friends" that the game tries to force upon you, too. For me it's a terrific game world but only a so-so game within it.

I feel like I'm the only one who prefers the driving physics in GTA4 over any other GTA games. It was funny when the game first came out and I slid into it quite naturally while my roommate wouldn't stop bitching about the physics.

I feel like I'm the only one who prefers the driving physics in GTA4 over any other GTA games. It was funny when the game first came out and I slid into it quite naturally while my roommate wouldn't stop bitching about the physics.

I don't play GTA for the driving physics really. I mainly do enough of the story to open things up a bit, and then just mess around. I do think the driving aspect of GTA 5 is pretty decent. Not like a pure driving game, but I like the arcade feel of it. I'm sure even if IV is floaty I'll enjoy it.

I don't play GTA for the driving physics really. I mainly do enough of the story to open things up a bit, and then just mess around. I do think the driving aspect of GTA 5 is pretty decent. Not like a pure driving game, but I like the arcade feel of it. I'm sure even if IV is floaty I'll enjoy it.
I honestly have not finished GTA5 yet because I hate the driving in it :ROFLMAO:

I honestly have not finished GTA5 yet because I hate the driving in it :ROFLMAO:

I think more than anything I just got used to it. I wouldn't call it excellent, but it has an arcade-style feel that I feel at home with. I don't really like the camera angles/distances much though. I equate it to playing Outrun with more freedom. :D

The driving in 4 is what kept me from finishing it. I had no issues with driving with any other GTA game. Was just too damn easy to crash in 4.

With 4 I eventually got used to it after 3-4 hours of each playthrough. By the end of the game I'd be really good at it, but it's always different and a bit weird. I don't know how to fully describe it, but it's like the weight of the vehicles is way further forward than you'd expect. The gas pedal tends to go from slightly pressed to floored too easily, too. As a result you have to be very light with steering or you'll fishtail and slide.
It's probably more realistic than the GTA3 game and GTA5 (all of which are a little too precise/arcadey), but it's so far in the other direction that it becomes annoying.

Today's the big cutover. The "GTA4 Complete Edition" is available in the Steam store, but it doesn't seem to be functional yet.

EDIT: It's now up and running. It uses some elements of the Rockstar Launcher, but the game isn't showing up in the app yet. Still, the game works and it has the same intro screen where you can access all 3 games that I remember seeing elsewhere. A 360 all-in-one disk maybe?

Last edited:
No clue if it was all of the GFWL nonsense holding it back or what, but performance is better now. Hitches that were there a couple weeks ago have smoothed out. It's still very much just GTA4, but it's far more playable than it was thanks to GFWL and the clunky work-arounds they've been using. You can just fire it up and start playing now.

Back