Rockstar Games Announces Agent Exclusively for Playstation 3

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce Agent. Developed by the people behind Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar North, Agent will be available exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

"We have always enjoyed making action games, and with Agent we are making what we believe will be the ultimate action game," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Agent is a game we have wanted to make for a long time. The team in Edinburgh is doing an amazing job combining intense action, atmosphere and story in a great period setting to create something that feels quite unique. We cannot wait for people to experience this game."

Agent takes players on a paranoid journey into the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations during the height of the Cold War at the end of the 1970s.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20090602006559&newsLang=en

Despite a lack of footage, this is the megaton in my book. How can this game not kick ass ? :cool:

I give them credit for I like the GTA line, but I'll wait to see some screenies/vids before I start craving.

I'm still working on getting my GTA4 Platinum. 78% :)

Wow, sounds pretty sweet... Glad I held onto my PS3... Even though I play the 360 a lot more :)

Exclusively for the PS3 for a year or 2 before port! if it sells well, and M$ feeds the pockets of Rockstar!

Exclusively for the PS3 for a year or 2 before port! if it sells well, and M$ feeds the pockets of Rockstar!

When this unknown exclusive Rockstar game was first announced back in 2007, they stressed it would be made for PS3 without the multiplatform compromises of GTA 4. PC might get a port eventually, 360 I don't think so.

Rockstar North's new espionage title for the PlayStation 3 - Agent - will be genre-defining, according to Take-Two's CEO Ben Feder.

Although solid details on the new 70s-set thriller are being kept under wraps, a confident Feder told GamesIndustry.biz that the new title from the makers of Grand Theft Auto is a perfect fit for Sony's home console.

The game, like anything from Rockstar North, is going to be very, very cool. It's going to push the edge, it's going to be genre-defining and it's going to be a whole new way of experiencing videogames that we haven't really seen before.

Exclusives do work when you weigh up the pros and the cons, the positives and the negatives of doing an exclusive, they work even at this stage of the console cycle

The trade-offs are that on the one hand if you don't go exclusive you get access to a much larger installed base but if you do go exclusive you get the support of first party publishers in a way that you wouldn't normally expect to

If they have lavish 1st party support, this game could really look amazing. I thought GTA4 looked good but I know the PS3 is capable of much more. Get Naughty Dog and SCEE Cambridge to open up a can of whoop ass. I imagine it will use some iteration of the GTA4 engine but with more features, and get highly reoptimized and streamlined for PS3 hardware. The gameplay is post-GTA.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/rockstars-agent-to-be-genre-defining-feder

Last edited:
I'll be interested when there's a video or a screenshot or even a concept art...

2jcj9y.jpg

:cool:

By next E3, when this game is getting buzz with gameplay trailers, it will become day one for every Rockstar fan.

Laugh all you want, but you know it's true. :)

They've said "it's their next GTA", genre defining, Houser Bros + Rockstar North A Team making the next blockbuster AAA etc.. even without seeing it, it's a lockdown contender for GOTY and it's PS3 exclusive.

"Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/27/new-rockstar-games-franchise-exclusive-to-the-ps3/

Surprisingly, it appears Sony may have given up a sure thing to get a not-so-sure thing. In a recent episode of the television show Game Head, SCEA CEO and President Jack Tretton was quoted as saying the PS3 exclusive rights for Rockstar’s next great franchise was secured, “In exchange for letting them out of [the Grand Theft Auto IV] exclusive.

Can the next Rockstar franchise make up for losing GTA IV as a PS3 exclusive? Probably not, but having games exclusive to the PS3 is what the Sony console desperately needs right now to drive sales. So, at least some exclusives are better than none it would seem.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps3-gets-exclusive-rights-to-next-rockstar-franchise-20070730/

They let rockstar make GTA4 multiplatform because of the small install base.
Sony wrote a check to fund development. Big time moneyhat. Read the quote about "real first party support". Sony won't let this game out of the bag. Agent is Rockstar North's main project. I'm starting to doubt we'll see a GTA5 this generation. Probably just periodic DLC.

They've said "it's their next GTA", genre defining, Houser Bros + Rockstar North A Team making the next blockbuster AAA etc.. even without seeing it, it's a lockdown contender for GOTY and it's PS3 exclusive.

lol again

Laugh all you want, but you know it's true. :)
"Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/27/new-rockstar-games-franchise-exclusive-to-the-ps3/

PR Masters at work. Obviously Rockstar really just wanted out of GTA4 exclusive deal since the money is over at M$. (install base)

Just prey this game doesn't end up being like the other alternative GTA games ie State of Emergency.

Just prey this game doesn't end up being like the other alternative GTA games ie State of Emergency.

Did you read the thread ? That comment is out to lunch. Agent is made by Rockstar. State of Emergency was published by Rockstar. It was developed by VIS entertainment. And yeah it was a huge disappointment coming from GTA3.

Agent is being developed by the original studio Rockstar North, under the direction of Dan Houser and his brother (the inventors of the GTA series)

Read the articles and comments quoting Rockstar developers. Agent is
"their next GTA", "genre-defining" etc..that's why my predictions are not out of line. Just hearing the theme (70's espionage) and knowing the developer's track record GTA3/4, Vice City, and San Andreas you know Agent will be a grand slam. ;) That is if one likes the GTA games.

Agent is basically the next gen GTA but with a secret agent character rather than criminal for hire. I think we can be sure it will keep an open world/ sand box gameworld, with interesting characters and hollywood quality voice talent, but it will be interesting to see where the gameplay evolves. I think they've learned from GTA4's mistakes. I don't think it will be an Austin Powers like parody. More of a spy thriller, jason bourne novel, gritty.

I wouldn't mind seeing light RPG elements implemented again, but more in line with "specializations", than superficial crap like from San Andreas.

Did you read the thread ? That comment is out to lunch. Agent is made by Rockstar. State of Emergency was published by Rockstar. It was developed by VIS entertainment. And yeah it was a huge disappointment coming from GTA3.

Agent is being developed by the original studio Rockstar North, under the direction of Dan Houser and his brother (the inventors of the GTA series)

Read the articles and comments quoting Rockstar developers. Agent is
"their next GTA", "genre-defining" etc..that's why my predictions are not out of line. Just hearing the theme (70's espionage) and knowing the developer's track record GTA3/4, Vice City, and San Andreas you know Agent will be a grand slam. ;) That is if one likes the GTA games.

Agent is basically the next gen GTA but with a secret agent character rather than criminal for hire. I think we can be sure it will keep an open world/ sand box gameworld, with interesting characters and hollywood quality voice talent, but it will be interesting to see where the gameplay evolves. I think they've learned from GTA4's mistakes. I don't think it will be an Austin Powers like parody. More of a spy thriller, jason bourne novel, gritty.

I wouldn't mind seeing light RPG elements implemented again, but more in line with "specializations", than superficial crap like from San Andreas.

You've already repeated their PR stuff (with zero real game info) a few times already. Is this going to turn into another killzone.gif thing for you?

I'm refuting the poorly argued comment this game could turn out to be a dud like State of Emergency.

Why don't you stay on topic and quit trying to provoke fights ?

I'm refuting the poorly argued comment this game could turn out to be a dud like State of Emergency.

Why don't you stay on topic and quit trying to provoke fights ?

What exactly have you refuted by linking some pr fluff words from the company making the game? The forza devs can say 100 times in 5 minutes in their conference that their game is the defining racing game of the generation over and over, but we won't know anything until we actually see some gameplay and have some hands on, now will we?

Rockstar says their game will be good? Shocking, usually companies shit all over their own games before release....Well that's sure good enough for me, why should anyone question anything. Especially since we have zero concept art, zero screenshots, and zero videos. Yeah, pencil it in for GOTY right now folks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He said let's hope it doesn't turn out like State of Emergency.

Agent is made by Rockstar North. When have they EVER released a game that was not up to snuff ? Let alone a title they are billing as their "next GTA".

PS3 Exclusive. :D

Downplay all you want but bookmark this thread. Agent will be massively successful.

Agent is made by Rockstar North. When have they EVER released a game that was not up to snuff ? Let alone a title they are billing as their "next GTA".

GTA4 is up there with Halo3 as the worst overhyped pieces of crap this generation. I'm sure Agent will be incredibly, massively successful, I hope it won't be a turd like either of those two I mentioned, but the point remains that it's a game that has Z E R O information released, and declaring it game of the century right now just because Rockstar says "it will be good" is a bit silly.

Last edited:
GTA4 is up there with Halo3 as the worst overhyped pieces of crap this generation. I'm sure Agent will be incredibly, massively successful, I hope it won't be a turd like either of those two I mentioned
smh

Well, my especial hate for those franchises is well documented on these lovely forums (and yes, I know I'm in a small but determined minority on that), but it's not about GTA in this thread, it's about gushing over PR bullshit and non-information.

Last edited:
I thought Manhunt was a good game, just not spectacular compared to the GTA series. Although it was a small side project, it was certainly up to snuff IMO.

I think they are burned out on making GTA games. The last one seems like they're running out of new ideas. So Agent is "their next GTA".

Wait is this that MMO game? The PS3 exclusivity was announced a long time ago and there was footage (looked terrible).

Or am I thinking of a different game? Must be a similar name

Wait is this that MMO game? The PS3 exclusivity was announced a long time ago and there was footage (looked terrible).

Or am I thinking of a different game? Must be a similar name

you're thinking of something else - we don't even have so much as a screenshot of agent yet.

This game is already getting over hyped and we have no info on it yet. Some people should tone it down a bit. It might be an awesome game but to call it a goty contender with no info on it yet?
It seems that this game will be a lot more calm tha the gta series. I wonder what gimmicks they'll use to take in the current GTA fan. They got a lot of thos players because of the forbidden fruit aspect of it. The media demonized it, coupled with the M rating, it pretty much sold itself to people who weren't able to purchase it themselves. I'll wait and see what elements they add to try and push agent into the M rating, because it seems that's what half of the marketing plan was for GTA4.

GTA4 is up there with Halo3 as the worst overhyped pieces of crap this generation.

Dont worry, i agree with you. I have yet to continue the story to GTA4. People say this and that about how awesome the characters and story are, but guess what, IT ISNT. There is only one real likable character in GTA4 and that was brucie.

But anyways, im fairly excited for this game.. i love set pieces that arent used as often as others and it just makes the game feel that much more special.

Back