Rockstar Almost Made Grand Theft Auto: Tokyo

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This report also claims work on GTA 6 has started, but no location has been decided on yet. What do you think would be the ideal city?

Rockstar visited the Japanese capital several years ago to assess its potential for a full GTA game, but ultimately pulled the plug on the idea, according to a source close to the company. Before working on a new game Rockstar carries out reference trips to take pictures, meet locals, and generally get a feel for the area. Our source said that Rockstar was "serious" about the idea of making a Tokyo version around the time of GTA 3 and Vice City, however the road system was seen to be problematic and became one reason the idea was canned.

Japan would have been perfect. You have Tokyo and then the mountain roads outside of Tokyo. I personally would like for them to revisit a previous city like Miami Florida, also known as Vice City. Washington DC would also be ripe considering the politicians and lobbyists and other influencing powers.

In terms of globally? Yeah, Tokyo is a pretty good choice. That or Hong Kong, but the problem there is I don't know if they could fit "backcountry" style area into the game if they did Hong Kong, I don't know how far from HK you have to go to get to that type of place. Seattle maybe? It's got the coast, of sorts, right there and mountainy areas near enough that you could compress that distance plausibly if you needed to in-game. Revisiting Miami would be good too.

How about Colombia? You've got a dense city with a history of drug trafficking, plus miles of beaches and forest areas to work with. And of course....the women. :D

zz-colombiangirls.jpg

Grand Theft Auto Thailand. Quasi civil-war, corrupt police, bar girls, lady boys, fifteen different types of mopeds to choose from, all kinds of terrain including beaches. Make it happen!

Reactions: Youn
like this
Grand Theft Auto Thailand. Quasi civil-war, corrupt police, bar girls, lady boys, fifteen different types of mopeds to choose from, all kinds of terrain including beaches. Make it happen!

GTA Roanapur that would be an awesome crossover concept.

Tokyo would be fun for the ambience, but too civilized, Yakuza and Tokyo Cops are just not violent enough compared to anywhere else in Asia.

Personally I think it'd be amazing to see a GTA set in Las Vegas during the 50's/60's.

That was a time of huge change throughout the area.

Las Vegas in the 1950s - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imagine all the things they could do, have it span the decade, have people in it like old blue eyes, Elvis, and later on Howard Hughes, among many other notable famous people that were a staple in vegas.

Then you have the more wackier things they could do. From the teamsters, the mormons, the whole nevada testing grounds, etc.

It's such a ripe period that's hardly been explored in gaming at all.

In terms of globally? Yeah, Tokyo is a pretty good choice. That or Hong Kong, but the problem there is I don't know if they could fit "backcountry" style area into the game if they did Hong Kong, I don't know how far from HK you have to go to get to that type of place. Seattle maybe? It's got the coast, of sorts, right there and mountainy areas near enough that you could compress that distance plausibly if you needed to in-game. Revisiting Miami would be good too.

Sleeping Dogs is a GTA-style game set in Hong Kong, worth a look if you haven't played it.

I genuinely would like a direct sequel to GTA Vice City, GTA Vice City Two or something.

Chicago. Plenty of gangs, guns, and police corruption. And I would like some shitty weather in a GTA game.

DC would be a nightmare gameplay wise. Too many famous and uberprotected areas for gta game.

I genuinely would like a direct sequel to GTA Vice City, GTA Vice City Two or something.

You already had this is the form of Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories..... Derp.

GTA is played out IMO. Any Asian city would be strange with probably too much of a Far Cry or Sleeping Dogs vibe. Chicago? Watch Dogs already ruined that. Only city I would actually want is GTA: London. I guess they could also do Mexico (too close to Red Dead? or maybe it would be a perfect tie-in) or Canada (eh?). LA really was the perfect slice of American life to satirize.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...I want GTA to move away from America. People keep saying Vice City but why? Who cares? We already had a game based on Miami. It was called GTA Vice City LOL!

I want something more ethnic. India or South Africa or China...getting tired of all these American ass places.

Problem is that GTA plays too heavily on Americas self-centered and egotistical mind set. Too much to mock and joke about. So just due to atmosphere and story telling and world building I don't see it moving from the US.

Reactions: Youn
like this
How about Colombia? You've got a dense city with a history of drug trafficking, plus miles of beaches and forest areas to work with. And of course....the women. :D

I lived there for many moons and I can agree with all of this.

Although they already did Vice City.

I would love to see London, Birmingham and Manchester/Liverpool get skewered. Talk about a colorful corridor of people. It would be like playing Snatch the video game.

Back