Rocksmith $59.99 w/free shipping @Amazon.com

Badass game if you like to play guitar. Being an intermediate player I have learned a lot from it in just the 2 weeks I have had it and the songs it comes are a very decent mix of rock music. I find myself playing for 3-4 hrs and I hadn't touched my guitar for a few years before this.

I bought it for the PS3 when it first came out with the intention of selling it and buying the PC version when it came out. The original release date for the PC version was this December and it now says May 2012 so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets scrapped.

I bought it for the PS3 when it first came out with the intention of selling it and buying the PC version when it came out. The original release date for the PC version was this December and it now says May 2012 so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets scrapped.

Original release date was october with the other two versions. Got bumped to december then bumped to may :(. My wife had it on pre order for me since august

I got this over the weekend - it is freaking awesome!! Buy it if you are on the fence.

Why not?. It is already for up for preorder at Amazon but release date is in May 2012

First, we all know about Ubisoft's disdain for the PC market. After all, all of us PC gamers are pirates. Second, it keeps getting pushed back for development and bug fixes on the console version. More proof that the PC version is not a priority for Ubisoft. One of the things that they are working on for the consoles, IIRC, is DLC. There won't ever be enough DLC, so that is an ongoing problem. Fixing the latency is another issue that they may, or may not be able to fix through software, but we'll see. Anyway, many PC people cancelled their pre-orders when the date got pushed back again. Ubi may say, "Interest in the PC version is going to be crap, and besides, most PC users will just pirate it. We're not going to publish a PC version."

and the publisher is ubisoft, all hope is lost. I'm going to have to pick it up on 360 :(

I went ahead and picked it up for the 360. Now I just need to get a good beginner level guitar.

i 2nd that. I don't want to buy a ps3 just to play this game when I already have a Blu-ray drive on my htpc :/

So dont.. Get the 100+$ cheaper xbox 360
Older versions used/refurb are cheap.. Can snag one here on [H] for probably 50-75$.. If you just use it for this, graphics wont matter so HDMI is not really necessary, should maek a used system even cheaper.

You do realize you can pickup a used 360 for about $100.

Making the game effectively cost $160. Also, I can't play the the 360 version on the road. With a PC version, I could put it on my laptop and use a travel guitar to play it on the road.

Making the game effectively cost $160. Also, I can't play the the 360 version on the road. With a PC version, I could put it on my laptop and use a travel guitar to play it on the road.

True about the portability factor of the laptop, but not true that the game is costing you $160. The xbox can be used for many other things than just gaming. Even if you never play any other games on it, it is well worth $100.

Can you guys confirm the lag that some of the customer reviews mention? Is it really that bad?

There are plenty of ways to get around the lag problem. People just think "lol I'll play with HDMI audio" and then are shocked at the audio lag, when the instructions tell you HDMI audio will lag. Personally, I am going to buy a 1/4" y splitter, send a cable to my guitar amp, send the Rocksmith cable to my PS3, and turn the guitar audio to zero in game. That should cover it.

Mine arrives today, I can't wait to give it a try. The only thing I am worried about is the lag (PS3) since I go from PS3->Receiver->speakers + video to TV via HDMI. I really don't want to try and get the ps3 to connect to the receiver with the the composite+analog RCA cable that came with the PS3, I am not even sure it's long enough to reach.

As far as the PC version, it was what I wanted to get, but since it's Ubisoft, I just went with PS3. Ubisoft will either kill it and not bother making the PC version, make it so DRM encumbered that it'll be like paying them to rape your child, or they will completely abandon PC users and no DLC will ever be released for it in the future.

There are plenty of ways to get around the lag problem. People just think "lol I'll play with HDMI audio" and then are shocked at the audio lag, when the instructions tell you HDMI audio will lag. Personally, I am going to buy a 1/4" y splitter, send a cable to my guitar amp, send the Rocksmith cable to my PS3, and turn the guitar audio to zero in game. That should cover it.

You miss out on the tone though by doing so. (unless I am misunderstanding you).

I am using HDMI audio to the TV --> optical to a HTS. I have a few ms delay that way. I may plug an optical cable directly into the receiver from the PS3 and see if that makes it better.

UPDATE

I hooked up a separate optical cable (TOSLINK) from the PS3 to the receiver and the lag is gone.

Last edited:
Is the issue primarily with the TVs? I have a Panasonic plasma and use HDMI; I had a little lag at first but set the game's lag correction to "0" and it seems fine.

I think it has to do with audio over HDMI. Not sure the specifics on it though.

Got it and I had to connect the RCA cables cause the HDMI was terribly lagged I can't see how anyone could play it that way to me completely unacceptable. With the RCA audio cables it's OK, there is still a lag, it's significantly less noticeable but still noticeable.

It is an interesting product, but there are some serious omissions. For example in rehearse you can't repeat sections of a song only restart from the beginning. That is going to be a big problem if they eventually want to learn stuff like solos. For me when I pick up a tab to learn I spend time on that section that is giving me a problem to learn it properly, but you can't do that in this game. The interface is doing nothing for me. I dislike the color strings interface, I guess that's the way it's suppose to work (I never played guitar hero or rock band), but personally I'd rather see the real tabs. There is also something strange with the amp part. I play some songs I know and yet for some reason it's like it starts to lag more if I am playing faster. Maybe it's my imagination or the lag just getting to my timing but unless I slow down it seems to lag more. But I give them credit for one feature, they let you flip the fretboard upside down the way it is in tablatures :), I wish they'd also just let me pick from a menu to show the full song, instead of breaking it down and slowly increasing the notes. I dislike the fact that they basically score you in rehearsals then increase the notes when you go to the gig if you do good. It looks like you'll be able to play the full song that you are hearing eventually, if you rehearse it enough and I guess "unlock" it.

Edit: OK after going to the song mode there does seem to be an area that will let you learn sections of the song, I was a bit too hasty when only playing campaign mode ;). The whole gig thing is a riot, they put up more notes than you played rehearsing, and if you do good and get an encore, they throw in a song you never played before.

Last edited:
Just ordered myself a copy for the PS3! I didn't even know this game existed and I was planning on getting the Squier for Rockband 3 but couldn't find it at MSRP. Thanks OP!!

Got it and I had to connect the RCA cables cause the HDMI was terribly lagged I can't see how anyone could play it that way to me completely unacceptable. With the RCA audio cables it's OK, there is still a lag, it's significantly less noticeable but still noticeable.
Depends on the TV that you are using.

It is an interesting product, but there are some serious omissions. For example in rehearse you can't repeat sections of a song only restart from the beginning. That is going to be a big problem if they eventually want to learn stuff like solos. For me when I pick up a tab to learn I spend time on that section that is giving me a problem to learn it properly, but you can't do that in this game.
You can do that - go into the song menu and then choose one of the practice options (not rehearse) - and then you can choose like the intro, bridge, etc to try and get better. You can have it pause note by note (so you make sure you get that right), or slow down the song o allow you to play it, before gradually making it faster to play.

The interface is doing nothing for me. I dislike the color strings interface, I guess that's the way it's suppose to work (I never played guitar hero or rock band), but personally I'd rather see the real tabs.

I remember him saying something about changing the style to tab based. Change the string style to inverted. It says that it is the version used in traditional guitar tablature.

There is also something strange with the amp part. I play some songs I know and yet for some reason it's like it starts to lag more if I am playing faster. Maybe it's my imagination or the lag just getting to my timing but unless I slow down it seems to lag more.
Did you go into settings and reduce the lag? Check options, Display..... Reduce the number.

But I give them credit for one feature, they let you flip the fretboard upside down the way it is in tablatures :), I wish they'd also just let me pick from a menu to show the full song, instead of breaking it down and slowly increasing the notes. I dislike the fact that they basically score you in rehearsals then increase the notes when you go to the gig if you do good. It looks like you'll be able to play the full song that you are hearing eventually, if you rehearse it enough and I guess "unlock" it.

Edit: OK after going to the song mode there does seem to be an area that will let you learn sections of the song, I was a bit too hasty when only playing campaign mode ;). The whole gig thing is a riot, they put up more notes than you played rehearsing, and if you do good and get an encore, they throw in a song you never played before.

Jesus - I got lost in the run on sentence looking paragraph. Just noticed that you got things figured out - but I had already written my responses. Have fun with the game.

Back