Rocksmith 2014 Edition $33, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag $30

Do you really need THEIR cable?

or have there been hacks/workarounds for that using a good soundcard and a regular instrument cable?

Odd that the cable is $28.74 and the game is $32.99, but you can get both the game and cable for Xbox/PS3 for $42.99? That's quite a difference.

Anyone find a cheaper cable somewhere?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had the 2013 360 version that came with the cable so I jumped on this, thanks OP!

Do you really need THEIR cable?

or have there been hacks/workarounds for that using a good soundcard and a regular instrument cable?

There is a "community patch" that will allow you to play without it. Running off any sound cards line in or mic ports isn't quite optimal due to mismatch of impedance. If you're going to patch it, at least run through a good audio interface with actual guitar input like maudio, etc...

For anyone that didn't realize, the real tone cable functions as a generic hid input in win/mac/linux without needing drivers or software. And it's of pretty decent quality. I've used mine in Amplitube and GarageBand. Not trying to pitch the cable, just pointing out it's not a total waste if you decide to shelve the game for whatever reason.

Last edited:
For AC, you can get the digital version for PS3 at $30 and pay $10 to upgrade to the PS4 version

I am glad I picked up rocksmith 2014 from Amazon during black friday, they had the Cable included version for just 49.99.

does this thing actually work for learning how to play the guitar?

Odd that the cable is $28.74 and the game is $32.99, but you can get both the game and cable for Xbox/PS3 for $42.99? That's quite a difference.

Anyone find a cheaper cable somewhere?

When RS first came out, I bought the steam download for PC, and then the XBox 360 with cable. The same cable works with all versions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, it's awesome.

That good? I've been teaching myself to play for the last 5 years. I consider myself to be decent, but if this game could take me to the next level that would be so cool.

Are there games or modes in Rocksmith which revolve around scales and other such exercises? (yes i could just do them, but that's boring)

That good? I've been teaching myself to play for the last 5 years. I consider myself to be decent, but if this game could take me to the next level that would be so cool.

Are there games or modes in Rocksmith which revolve around scales and other such exercises? (yes i could just do them, but that's boring)

Yes there are things that focus on scales, etc.

Last edited:
I bought Rocksmith 2014 a few weeks ago. I had the original and the 2014 version is so much better. The session mode is awesome.

Back