Rocketfish (Lian Li) Case Wiring

It looks like you might be able to reverse the way the door opens. You might lose the power/hdd led's in doing so, but thats not a big deal to me and a small price for much more added convenience.Can anybody confirm this? iplayCS, since you've already got your door off, would you mind taking a look? I would look at mine, but I'm at the office :(. Dang job.

it appears to me that the door is easily reversible. The 2 brackets that the door mounts on can be swapped top to bottom and no loss of any lights!!!! Well except for when the doors closed as the light pipes are now in the wrong place. Also the divider in the door and the nameplate would be at the top and upside down.

The front panel is so flimsy without the the 2 mounts for the door. I was hoping to go doorless.

I just managed to get the last one from the Morse Road Store in Columbus, Ohio. Going to open the box and take a look at it myself here in a second. I got it for the 47.99 clearance price. I called one other store (Polaris store) and they had it for 97.99 or something like that. Not sure but if your looking for one you might be able to get the Polaris store to price match what was at the one on Morse Road.

Just put my machine into the new $47case.these fans seriously suck. sounds like someone is drumming on the case. just pissed I need to remove the fans after the transfer..

**edit**

last one from fresno ca!

I'm very glad I found this forum. I just got this case at the $71 price. And since I bought an Earthwatts PSU they gave me 10% off on both. Not bad, $162 out the door. This will be I very first build. I am sure I'll have questions. I'm just building a basic machine, as I'm not physically able to play two handed games. Maybe I'll try for a flight simulator, if a joystick will do the trick. I have two sticks of G.SKILL on the way from newegg but havn't bought anything else yet.

Elliot

That sucks bro. Can you go to any BB to price match? The store I went to mentioned something about being in a 50 mile radius.

Dude, LA is like 100 miles away but its considered right next door.

Anyways, i think ill grab one for spare parts in the event that i do a bad cut or something :p

I got one yesturday not as good of deal as the rest of you $95.00 but i need it.I took the door off and removed one hard drive cage dont need that.
dsc02602wp5.jpg

Very nice! mine still looks like a disaster inside still. All your fans work?

Just picked two of these up for $47.99 each at the Best Buy in Frederick, MD. They had 3 left in stock at this price.

Looks like a gigantic case. I will be mounting my PA 120.3 in the top. Got a second for a server case and getting two 5-in-3 adapters.

D1.JPG

I found that cooling this beast works best with the side fan (removed in this pic) turned around to blow into the case....I had 3 fans blowing out and only 1 blowing in with the original config and created a great neg. pressure in the case....With the side fan blowing in things are much more balanced air flow wise...With the side fan introducing cool air to feed the GPU and move air over the southbridge cooler. The Zalman 9500 was good for 12C cooler than the stock cooler.
I'm very happy with this case.

Suggestion to those having trouble hiding wires,

Keep both HDD cages installed. Run your PSU cables through the leftmost cage and store unused inside the cage. Cover cage with the black portion of a jewel case with adhesive solution of your choosing. Looks GREAT, covers exactly, and helps hide wires.

Here's mine, still some more wire tidying up to do to get it to my liking but it's basically done. It's a good case for $50 but I think it's a little overrated. I might move my stuff back into my old Kandalf since the wire management is absolutely terrible in this case comparatively and my temps were cooler in the Kandalf as well.

DSC_1631_1.jpg

Doesn't look like anybody else has posted a WCed one yet.

rocketfish3oc0.jpg

rocketfishke9.jpg

rocketfish2ln7.jpg

Yes, it is a rats nest. Lots of devices and the fact that I'll be ripping it apart in a few weeks to swap in a better pump weighed against taking the time to origami everything just right.

^^^ Wow, looks like you did a nice job modding your top panel to fit a 3x120mm radiator. :)

BTW, for the OP or those that wanted to mount their HDD facing a different direction, it's possible. I did it with mine. And there's no special modding required.

Pic:
p1000962zi1.jpg

Unfortunately it's not as stable since I'm using 2 screws and you loose one HDD cage due to the length of the cage.

^^^ Wow, looks like you did a nice job modding your top panel to fit a 3x120mm radiator. :)

Thanks. The top unscrews completely from the case and the aluminum is thin enough to be easily workable with nibblers. Easiest time I've ever had of cutting blow holes.

Thanks. The top unscrews completely from the case and the aluminum is thin enough to be easily workable with nibblers.

Ya I know. I had to remove it in order to re-wire those two back 120mm fans wires behind the motherboard. Again, no special modding needed. :)

That isn't a thermochill radiator, is it? Mine with a shroud may stick down too far. Might have to forgoe the shroud and put my push fans back in. I ended up getting a one piece 120.3 fangrill instead of doing the individual holes.

Where did you get your nibbler from? Does it use an air compressor?

Maybe wrong place but, Orange Park Fl, Best Buy has five Rocketfish on shelf. $47.00 before tax

Nice work jaegertech, good to know the 3x120mm fits ok. I don't have wc but I was thinking about installing a 3x120mm grill up top to mount more fans.

I swear, with all that extra room up top, this case was made for watercooling. That 3x120 rad looks tiny!

I swear, with all that extra room up top, this case was made for watercooling. That 3x120 rad looks tiny!

So true. This is the only case I've ever used that actually makes my Scythe Ninja look somewhat diminutive while installed. :p

That isn't a thermochill radiator, is it? Mine with a shroud may stick down too far. Might have to forgoe the shroud and put my push fans back in. I ended up getting a one piece 120.3 fangrill instead of doing the individual holes.

Where did you get your nibbler from? Does it use an air compressor?

Swiftech 320 radiator with 120x25 fans between the radiator and the case.

The nibbler was just a standard manual one. I cheated a bit by using my dremel to cut most of the way to the edge of the hole with simple straight cuts and then completed the curve with the nibbler having to deal with less than the cutting width. Total time from start to finish was about two hours.

Absolutely. I haven't measured one in person, but I believe it would be just possible to fit a quad 120 radiator up top. I haven't seen a single other standard case that you could say that about. You'd lose the top three 5.25 bays, but I'm pretty sure it would fit.

Got one, $50 odd and change.

Edit:
Got my system in and love it. I am of the opinion now that I'm going to need some really long sata cables, and some power extensions. It's whisper quiet tho, which is a wonder in and of itself.

I'm trying to figure out if I could fit the 200 mm Antec big Boy fan in the front in place of the 120 and 3.5 bays. Does that make me crazy?

I'm trying to figure out if I could fit the 200 mm Antec big Boy fan in the front in place of the 120 and 3.5 bays. Does that make me crazy?

lol, I had the same idea!

and yea caw2007 there is one, someone mentioned it in the original post about the rocketfish cases, idk where though...

EDIT: I think my question here is weather or not you could fit a fan under the HDD rack pointed up for a little extra cooling...

It's this one: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280&products_id=1029

Mine should be coming Tuesday. Should be a nice addition to my W/C setup I'm putting in as well. :)

@BIGJ, yes you can fit a fan underneath the HDD cage (90mm max) but it has to be in the normal (perpendicular) orientation, not like mine in the picture I posted above. Regular fan screws will not work so you probably are going to need a longer screw but with a narrower diameter and a nut to hold it into place.

Just incase anyone wants to see what these look like stripped down:

main.php

I'm painting mine black:

main.php

Very nice, I've been thinking about painting mine black too, did you use primer and scuff or was it not necessary? I've only sprayed steel before. Also how hard is aluminum to work with? I've been thinking about ordering a couple sheets to enclose the HD cages, essentially making a tunnel for the fans I want to install next to the cages. ( Already have one 120mm in between the two cages)

Im probably going to do a window mod and buy a window so that i can have both just incase i scew one of them up.

But here is what my finished product looks like without the panel on.

Excuse the Israeli Deoderant ;)

DSC04333.jpg

DSC04334.jpg

DSC04029.jpg

Back