Rocket Lake-S prices revealed through retailers

Kind of hoping this series is worth the jump for me... I have been trying to hold out till LGA1700 and DDR5, but I feel if the price is right, this would be a perfect jump for me to hold me over till maybe a year or so after the DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 route as matured more. I could certainly start to use some better IPC in some situations that are CPU limiting, although overall gaming has been great at 4K still.

At least this platform can offer me PCIe 4.0, Resizable BAR support and generally the fastest DDR4 speeds possible (if I luck out on IMC silicon).

Whether or not the performance jump will be worth it I guess depends on benchmarks and pricing coming out soon!

hello inflation

micron just reported dram supply is gonna be constrained this year.

prices gonna go up with this shortage and demand.

hello inflation

micron just reported dram supply is gonna be constrained this year.

prices gonna go up with this shortage and demand.
Did they specify DDR3, DDR4 or DDR5? I mean every time I looked at a headline it was always on a specific type. I already bought most of my next build expecting Rocket Lake to come out on March 15 and now they say March 30. Oops. lol

Full press release here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/279806/...unmatched-overclocking-and-gaming-performance

I don't think people are giving Intel enough credit here - it looks like they have a good product on their hands.

Price/performance: While the i9 prices are targeting extreme gaming enthusiasts, the i7 and i5 products are looking strong compared to AMD counterparts.

Availability: Unknown but it would be a struggle to be worse than Zen 3.

I/O: Finally up to modern standards!

Graphics: Not as good as TGL, but still an improvement with new decoding capabilities.

Other: AVX 512

Negatives: Massive 14nm power consumption.

All in all RKL-S looks like a strong product.

When's the HEDT CPUs coming out?...
I'm still pretty happy with my Broadwell E 6800k, mind you. It does what I need it to well. Right now the only upgrade I'd consider is popping in a 6900k and going to 44 lanes and 2 more cores.... Skylake X based hasn't fully convinced me to invest.
The Rocket Lake S parts are all Socket 1200, right ?

When's the HEDT CPUs coming out?...
I'm still pretty happy with my Broadwell E 6800k, mind you. It does what I need it to well. Right now the only upgrade I'd consider is popping in a 6900k and going to 44 lanes and 2 more cores.... Skylake X based hasn't fully convinced me to invest.
The Rocket Lake S parts are all Socket 1200, right ?
LGA1200, yes. I do not think Intel has any plans of HEDT anytime soon... "maybe" that will come with DDR5/PCIe 5.0 late this year, but who knows? Maybe Intel. Like you, I am on x99, but I have decided that if the price is right, and I can actually get one, I'll snag a 11900k as a decent upgrade from my current setup. I'll miss Quad DDR4 and insane PCIe lanes, but for gaming, it will be a nice step up in IPC I think.

LGA1200, yes. I do not think Intel has any plans of HEDT anytime soon... "maybe" that will come with DDR5/PCIe 5.0 late this year, but who knows? Maybe Intel. Like you, I am on x99, but I have decided that if the price is right, and I can actually get one, I'll snag a 11900k as a decent upgrade from my current setup. I'll miss Quad DDR4 and insane PCIe lanes, but for gaming, it will be a nice step up in IPC I think.
Yeah I honestly don't see a new HEDT coming out until the new server lineup is rocking and rolling and right now it's just more skylake refreshes.

Well Intel has FINALLY started releasing Icelake-SP, which has a node more like TGL than ICL, so maybe we will see a TGL-X soon.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1653...ble-shipments-to-date-30-customers-100k-units

Maxing out at 8 cores with RKL leaves a massive hole in their lineup and God knows how long ADL-X will take.

For those in Canada, the i5-11500 is around $270 with the i5-10500 at $260. The Ryzen 3600 is $260 although it doesn't have onboard graphics from what I know. There's only a $20 difference between the i5-11400 and i5-11500. The main differences from what I can see are 200Mhz faster speed and a 32EU iGPU instead of 24EUs. There are also things like Intel vPro Platform Eligibility (not on many mobos?), Intel Stable Image Platform Program and Intel Trusted Execution Technology (not on many mobos?). I don't know if having the Intel Stable Image Platform Program is important to anyone but the two others you have on the i5-11500 I didn't even find on motherboards anyway (for any chipset). I could be wrong about that though.

no one is comparing IGP performance.

i want to build a super budget pc, and I want to see how much this lags behind vega

i want to build a super budget pc, and I want to see how much this lags behind vega
I wouldn't mind seeing that too. But the embargo will last for another 10 days from what I know. It would be cool to see the comparisons between the 11400, 11500 and the new Ryzen 3 5300G (which was also only recently announced).
EDIT: In reality, it would be cool to see some benchmarks with the Ryzen 7 5700G as well. It might give some people without video cards a chance to game.

Last edited:

Budget CPUs (i3 and lower) are going to be based on Comet Lake, so you won't get the newer IGP. Also, the "budget" i5 11400 no longer has the full IGP like previous generations. It's 24 instead of 32 EUs. You have to jump up to the ~$218 i5 11500 to get the full IGP.

The best deal in CPUs is probably the i3 F model but I looked at pcpartpicker and it looks like it was only sold for a while. I thought about it but ended up buying the 11500. I haven't received it yet but I haven't even chosen a motherboard yet.

I pre-ordered the 11700K for about $400. Hopefully, it will arrive before March 30th. It seemed like a slightly better deal than a 5800X because I do not need to buy another motherboard. The 11900K does not seem worth the price just for the extra boost compared to the 11700K and 5900X.

Budget CPUs (i3 and lower) are going to be based on Comet Lake, so you won't get the newer IGP. Also, the "budget" i5 11400 no longer has the full IGP like previous generations. It's 24 instead of 32 EUs. You have to jump up to the ~$218 i5 11500 to get the full IGP.

yeah i want to see realworld 32eu xe performance

The best deal in CPUs is probably the i3 F model but I looked at pcpartpicker and it looks like it was only sold for a while. I thought about it but ended up buying the 11500. I haven't received it yet but I haven't even chosen a motherboard yet.
FYI H570 and B560 allow higher speed RAM/RAM overclocking on non-K CPU. I have an H570 paired with a 10700 and overclocking some Crucial Ballistic 2x16Gb 3600 to 4000 with no change to timings.

FYI H570 and B560 allow higher speed RAM/RAM overclocking on non-K CPU. I have an H570 paired with a 10700 and overclocking some Crucial Ballistic 2x16Gb 3600 to 4000 with no change to timings.
I don't really feel like overclocking but does anyone know if you can still get a free copy of Hitman 3 if you already bought your CPU?

I don't really feel like overclocking but does anyone know if you can still get a free copy of Hitman 3 if you already bought your CPU?
Well I sort of undersold the point that you can run XMP on higher speed ram. So in my case, 3600mhz stock XMP speeds. Previously, you couldn't do that with non-K cpu.

why is everyone defaulting to AMD must drop prices. AMD current pricing is based on something that's been out half a year and roflstomped the competition. Going on gsmersnexus AMD have absolutely nothing to panic about.

we know a 5300G which is the fastest 4C/8T part is coming out which will probably beat the 11400 much like the 3300X beat the 10400, it now comes with a iGPU the murders Intel UHD which will run on B spec boards very well and cost more or less what the 11400 costs.

we have also seen the 5700G in the works matching a 5800X. i do see AMD bringing XT versions of current gen later in the year which will replace the price point and push down current pricing.

why is everyone defaulting to AMD must drop prices. AMD current pricing is based on something that's been out half a year and roflstomped the competition. Going on gsmersnexus AMD have absolutely nothing to panic about.

we know a 5300G which is the fastest 4C/8T part is coming out which will probably beat the 11400 much like the 3300X beat the 10400, it now comes with a iGPU the murders Intel UHD which will run on B spec boards very well and cost more or less what the 11400 costs.

we have also seen the 5700G in the works matching a 5800X. i do see AMD bringing XT versions of current gen later in the year which will replace the price point and push down current pricing.
Thanks for the info on the 5300G but I read for AMD, for whatever reason, they call it an APU, not iGPU. In any case, I ordered the 11500 partly because I know I want to be more "future proof" with 6 cores rather than 4. Plus, the iGPU on the 11500 is more powerful than the 11400.
I don't know if retailers are not allowed to ship before March 30 but my order for whatever reason says "pending" right now. (It doesn't matter too much, I can wait. I'm still waiting for some motherboards to be in stock anyway.)
The Rocket Lake build for me will be an upgrade for me from the i5-4570 in my main machine. I mean it has 4 cores and 8GB RAM. For my Rocket Lake, I'll have 6 cores and 16GB of RAM. Of course the cherry on the cake would be if they come out with an RTX 3050 Ti and if it's actually available to buy.

6 core non-k rocket lakes will be a solid deal. AMD will need a 5600 or 5500 to close that gap.

Thanks for the info on the 5300G but I read for AMD, for whatever reason, they call it an APU, not iGPU.
The difference is..
AMD’s APUs support Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) which allow for the CPU and GPU to be on the same bus and thus reducing communication latency.

Official RKL-S reviews are out. We already saw the 10700K so not a lot of surprises.

The 10900k is a bigger joke than expected. Adaptive boost is a neat feature that combines Velocity with MCE but holy hell does it use a lot if power!
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-11900k/

The 10600k looks much better against the competition as the 5600k is overpriced due to availability. Still, it only managed 4.8 ghz over clocking. Curious to see how that cpu over clocked does against an 8086k at 5.2ghz+ (2018).

Official RKL-S reviews are out. We already saw the 10700K so not a lot of surprises.

The 10900k is a bigger joke than expected. Adaptive boost is a neat feature that combines Velocity with MCE but holy hell does it use a lot if power!
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-11900k/

The 10600k looks much better against the competition as the 5600k is overpriced due to availability. Still, it only managed 4.8 ghz over clocking. Curious to see how that cpu over clocked does against an 8086k at 5.2ghz+ (2018).
the 5600x at 65watts was murdering the 11600k at +125watts in almost everything. the 11600k is just nice because it is a budget gamer build. if the 5600x drops to 300 dollars it's over

11600K vs 5600X is very situational depending on price. At normal msrp? 5600X all the way. Wins more often while burning way less power. 11900K is the worst joke of the entire series so far, even worse than the 11700K which is just pointless.

I haven't been able to find a review of the XE graphics yet
I found one on Youtube on the UHD 750 vs Ryzen 3200G. It looked very lame for Intel. Although I can't wait to try the 11500 I bought with the last version of Unreal Tournament before I install a video card.

There are plenty of Buy It Now's on ebay for $300 or less.
It's why I don't really get why some of the reviews only used what they saw on Newegg or Amazon, quoting the 5600X as $350 or some nonsense like that. Do DIYers not shop around anymore?

It's why I don't really get why some of the reviews only used what they saw on Newegg or Amazon, quoting the 5600X as $350 or some nonsense like that. Do DIYers not shop around anymore?
Eh, cheapest I see on Ebay for an 5600x is $327 and change.

There are some more expensive ones with "or best offer" ----- which usually means they will accept no more than about $5 less than asking. Any more than that is rare, IME.

Eh, cheapest I see on Ebay for an 5600x is $327 and change.

There are some more expensive ones with "or best offer" ----- which usually means they will accept no more than about $5 less than asking. Any more than that is rare, IME.
After looking, fair enough. Though there are a decent number of completed sales for around $300 or a bit less. Again, it's all about shopping around. Just now someone is selling 3 5600Xs in FS/FT $305 shipped ea.

Idk, I always shop around for everything to save a few bucks here and there on parts. If some people would rather have 1 click stops at Amazon/Newegg, then I'd agree that the 11600K is giving you the better deal compared to the inflated cost for Ryzen on those platforms.

After looking, fair enough. Though there are a decent number of completed sales for around $300 or a bit less. Again, it's all about shopping around. Just now someone is selling 3 5600Xs in FS/FT $305 shipped ea.

Idk, I always shop around for everything to save a few bucks here and there on parts. If some people would rather have 1 click stops at Amazon/Newegg, then I'd agree that the 11600K is giving you the better deal compared to the inflated cost for Ryzen on those platforms.
Well sure but those chips for sale here are used ; )

We're talking new prices, right now.

Well sure but those chips for sale here are used ; )

We're talking new prices, right now.

At Microcenter, you have them at $299. That's 7% higher gaming performance for 9% higher price.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...cessor-with-wraith-stealth-cooler?storeid=125

It's even more embarrassing for the i9 models: 5% behind the 5800x for $75 more. The MSRP 5800X are all available everywhere, so there is no excuse to buy the i9 travesty.

Such a sad release, it has lower power consumption han it's predecessor, but then it takes longer to get anythign done on tasks that could scale to that tenth core.

Last edited:
At Microcenter, you have them at $299. That's 7% higher gaming performance for 9% higher price.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...cessor-with-wraith-stealth-cooler?storeid=125

It's even more embarrassing for the i9 models: 5% behind the 5800x for $75 more. The MSRP 5800X are all available everywhere, so there is no excuse to buy the i9 travesty.

Such a sad release, it has lower power consumption han it's predecessor, but then it takes longer to get anythign done on tasks that could scale to that tenth core.
It why they are selling like crap. My MC had 7 11900k this morning and as 8pm still showing 1. The 11700k which is a lot better deal has been at 25+ all day. The 6 people who brought the 11900k are dumb. $215 more for what now?

It why they are selling like crap. My MC had 7 11900k this morning and as 8pm still showing 1. The 11700k which is a lot better deal has been at 25+ all day. The 6 people who brought the 11900k are dumb. $215 more for what now?
People actually bought that joke? Oh come on.

Back