Rocket Lake Benchmarked by Anandtech - Pleae leave your gaming performance at the door!

AIO watercoolers are a bargain these days, assuming you can mount one in the case. And looky here, we have a great example of a CPU that might deserve one.
Some of those even have issues on the Asrock board, depending upon how the tubes come out, their size, etc.

Yup so far benchmarks show 11 series as a dud downgrade/sidegrade. I just want PCIE 4.0, if I could do that with a 9900K I wouldn't be looking for an "upgrade." Also considering the 5800X now instead because it's available, has PCIE 4 and beats the 11700K in gaming. Hell the 10700K and 9900K beat the 11700K in gaming. Omega.Lul.

Why don't you just wait until later this year with Alder Lake? If you're on a 9900k, I wouldn't upgrade "only" for PCIe 4.0.

AIO watercoolers are a bargain these days, assuming you can mount one in the case. And looky here, we have a great example of a CPU that might deserve one.
It'd be on a custom dual cpu loop, not too worried about that :p

Reactions: Axman
like this
I have a suggestion for Intel if they keep this up.... it may be time for them to seriously consider renaming their newer CPU architectures.

How about ”Lava Lake”?

Love it lawls

Why don't you just wait until later this year with Alder Lake? If you're on a 9900k, I wouldn't upgrade "only" for PCIe 4.0.

That's the plan now, either that or wait for the 5800X successor. With a 4K res and the 3090 being the bottleneck may not even need another cpu until 4090.

Last edited:
Rocket Lake...

Outputs (heat) like a rocket.
And needs a Lake to keep it cool as from going up in flames! ;-)
300W is doable on enthusiast boards with no problem but the VRM components are going to run bloody hot without active cooling.
Everything's gonna need custom water if all core o/c is desired with AVX512 in the loop. Pun not intended. ;-)

Does anyone know if the high power consumption would apply while gaming?
Generally, gaming doesn't load your CPU as much and/or consistantly as rendering, encoding, etc.

However, the two recent Modern Warfare games have AVX instructions and that does cause more heat. But still shouldn't be as high of heat as a more sustained load from a Rendering program, etc.

For K CPUs, you can always set an offset for AVX in the bios. This means that when it detects an AVX workload, it will set a lower clockspeed which you define. This helps control heat. I'm not sure if you can do that with Non-K CPUs even with a Z490/590 motherboard...

Legit question, but Anandtech didn't show us temperature numbers while gaming. They only left us with this in their closing:

But in practice for a mild AVX2 workload we saw 225 W of power consumption and a temperature of 81ºC, while a general workload was around 130-155 W at 60ºC.

It might depend on the game. Games tend to fall in the general workload category. Most games are gpu bound, so it's a safe bet that temps are going to be manageable. However, there is always the potential that things could spiral out of control. So, YMMV applies.

It depends on which threshold of high you mean. The roaring AVX-512 load just under 300 watts just for the CPU itself? Nah. The 180- 225 watts mentioned elsewhere in the review could definitely happen, though, especially if you're doing, say, CPU-driven streaming or sustained productivity tasks involving AVX(2). I was pondering grabbing an 11400 for a tinker rig, but this review has raised concerns in me about its burst and sustained power use relative to contemporary Ryzen. Also, if you wanna hit the sustained performance levels of this chip, you are definitely not going to want to skimp on the power supply or motherboard...

Last edited:
1615075972439.png

It depends on which threshold of high you mean. The roaring AVX-512 load just under 300 watts just for the CPU itself? Nah. The 180- 225 watts mentioned elsewhere in the review could definitely happen, though, especially if you're doing, say, CPU-driven streaming or sustained productivity tasks involving AVX(2). I was pondering grabbing an 11400 for a tinker rig, but this review has raised concerns in me about its burst and sustained power use relative to contemporary Ryzen. Also, if you wanna hit the sustained performance levels of this chip, you are definitely not going to want to skimp on the power supply or motherboard...
So, should I be safe enough with a 11400 and GTX 1050Ti with a Corsair CX 450M? (I might replace the 1050 Ti with a 3050 Ti if it ever becomes available. lol)

Reactions: Halon
like this
So, should I be safe enough with a 11400 and GTX 1050Ti with a Corsair CX 450M? (I might replace the 1050 Ti with a 3050 Ti if it ever becomes available. lol)
I mean, it'll probably be fine at stock. I don't know what motherboard you're putting it into or how aggressively it'll try to turbo, but at a probable worst case of ~125 watts for the 11400, 75 watts for the GPU, and another 80 for the rest of your components, that's 280 watts. If a 450W unit can't push that, it's mislabeled anyway.

Kind of expected. It all comes down to price and availability. It is far from great but it puts up enough of a fight to stay relevant.

p.s. Just saw leaked pricing. If that is accurate I have no idea why anyone will buy this over 10th gen that's often on sale nowadays.
You're gonna get the die[H]ards who have to have the latest because it's the bestest. Hopefully there won't be too many of them.

I mean, it'll probably be fine at stock. I don't know what motherboard you're putting it into or how aggressively it'll try to turbo, but at a probable worst case of ~125 watts for the 11400, 75 watts for the GPU, and another 80 for the rest of your components, that's 280 watts. If a 450W unit can't push that, it's mislabeled anyway.
Just buy a Dell. They won't overrun TDP, even if it drives the actual all-core speed below the so-called all-core boost.

Reactions: Halon
like this
Good Lord, Zen 3's will be scarce for the rest of the year now :(. Better grab one now where they are more available then they will be in a couple of weeks. Thought Intel would have a good response, this looks like a disaster, I guess it really depends on final pricing but the whole build would be more expensive around that power envelope.

Running a 5800x on a MSI B450i motherboard, jaw dropped open on performance uplift with 3090. Flight Simulator had massive FPS increase. With default PB, it turbo boost to 4.85ghz, have not played around with curve optimizer or PBO yet.

Just buy a Dell. They won't overrun TDP, even if it drives the actual all-core speed below the so-called all-core boost.

Well all core boost is definitely above tdp for any real work (I mean they will be power limited). In my experience it's usually closer to base than all core for any avx work load.

What a terrible CPU, fails to outperform the 5800x and even slower than previous generations of Intel CPU's shows something is not quite right. Usually Intel can deliver exceptional single threaded and gaming performance but failed in this aspect so far. Not to mention the high power usage while being slower than it's competitors is pretty embarrassing.

Will pass this disaster of a generation, with Alder Lake scheduled to be released sometime this year, if things goes according to planned I don't really see a point of this generation of CPU's.

What a terrible CPU, fails to outperform the 5800x and even slower than previous generations of Intel CPU's shows something is not quite right. Usually Intel can deliver exceptional single threaded and gaming performance but failed in this aspect so far. Not to mention the high power usage while being slower than it's competitors is pretty embarrassing.

Will pass this disaster of a generation, with Alder Lake scheduled to be released sometime this year, if things goes according to planned I don't really see a point of this generation of CPU's.
Yes alder lake with half its cores being Atoms.... yep Intel has a big come back teed up.

Half kidden I would like Intel to at least keep it close. I prefer AMD winning it should keep the industry moving more then AMD being way behind. Alder lake though... doesn't sound like its going to be a performance beast.

This is 100% intels fault though. The hubris at Intel is off the charts. Of all the tech companies that are overly full of themselves Intel and Nvidia are up at the top... only Nvidia has mostly followed through. Their gamble on Samsung seemed to mostly pay off... sure they suck more power but the performance is mostly there. Intel has had to backport and I think honestly believed they could pull off some 14nm miracle. I haven't decided if their spin on this generation is going to entertain or shame me. I'm either going to get a ton of chuckles or feel dirty for laughing at them... sort of like watching Johnny Knoxville in the Ringer. lol

To their credit, the multicore improvement is pretty darn big. Even after backporting to a process not originally meant for the architecture.

To their credit, the multicore improvement is pretty darn big. Even after backporting to a process not originally meant for the architecture.
I don't need 10 cores over 8, but the increased cache latency makes me wonder if the 11900k will really be the best intel gaming chip.

I wonder if it makes sense at this point to wait for it - I need to go back and double check, but I think my Strix Z590-i might only let you use both M.2 slots if you have an 11gen cpu so that would be a big factor, but otherwise, a $439 10990K is looking pretty tempting.

Edit, look at the bottom few lines of this pic

Attachments

• 20210307_123244.jpg
    20210307_123244.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Believe it or not, I'm starting to settle on the idea of my Rocket Lake build anyway (only missing CPU/mobo). First, I think what will be my first Win10 gaming machine will likely become my backup in January 2023 (when Win8 will no longer has support, I mean my current backup has Win8 and it's a dual-core). (So I'd like to build a Meteor Lake as a main machine in Jan., 2023 because even my main machine is on Win8.)
The first reason is once that Rocket Lake build is turned into a backup, I'll likely take out the video card. So I'll want onboard video and the 750 iGPU I read was the first large update since 2016. Second, I saw the RTX 30xx series is a PCIe4 card. So I want PCIe4.
Overall, I understand it looks a bit lame when you consider higher temperatures, higher consumption and bit slower than Comet Lake. But, I'm not tempted to pay more for a Ryzen 3600 which would likely perform less than a 11400.
I'm going to take a wild guess at what may happen in the next few months though. Rocket Lake will not be a huge hit, prices will go down then Intel may launch a Comet Lake refresh to appease fans.

I don't need 10 cores over 8, but the increased cache latency makes me wonder if the 11900k will really be the best intel gaming chip.

I wonder if it makes sense at this point to wait for it - I need to go back and double check, but I think my Strix Z590-i might only let you use both M.2 slots if you have an 11gen cpu so that would be a big factor, but otherwise, a $439 10990K is looking pretty tempting.

Edit, look at the bottom few lines of this pic

With only a 200mhz frequency difference between the 700 and 900, I’d wager that gaming performance will end up being nearly identical.

Back