Rock Band 3 anyone?

Just picked this up this morning but won't get to play it until tonight when I get off work. I've been a rock band freak since it debuted a few years ago and my buddies and I have had a blast building up our band to the 1,000,000,000 fan mark. We've jointly purchased approx 3-400 songs to keep it fresh and will continue to indulge in the dlc.

I'll be picking up the keyboard when it becomes available but I'm still not fully convinced that I will be trying out the pro-guitar mode. I kinda wanna keep it fun and not start all over with trying to 'learn' pro-guitar. I am an expert guitar player but behind the drums is where the majority of my time is spent, I am the drummer in our band and my ions have seen me through many drunken nights of loud music.

How's everyones experience with the game going so far? Any thoughts!?

I have a Rock Band 3 shin dig scheduled for the weekend. We play in my basement with a projector and really good sound system. Bunch of tables around to rest drinks on, we crank shit up to ridiculous volumes. Its tons of fun. I've only bought about 75 songs so far though.

Hell yes.

I've been looking forward to this ever since Harmonix announced it. Like you, I play the drums about 90% of the time (on expert) and am very excited to actually get cymbals added to the drum charts. The fact that it's been there all along and will now show up on pretty much every song in my library (about 350 DLC) has got to be one of the best things about the RB3 for me. I've been playing the cymbal parts on my own with my modded Ion core set. It's going to be very satisfying to finally get credit for it.

I'll be picking up the keyboard as well because that seems like a fun instrument and there are tons of great songs and great bands with keyboards in them that can now be properly charted.

Leaving for lunch soon to go pick up a copy at Best Buy. It's going to be a long rest of the day while I wait to go home and start rockin. :D

I've been anticipating the release of this game but didn't really do anything to try to get it when it came out. I "preodered" yesterday from Amazon which qualified me for a $10 future game credit. I avoided taxes, used a previous $20 game credit, and got it shipped on the release date (already have it in hand as of about noon). I am pretty pleased with myself...

I think I'm gonna pick it up Friday, but I've got over 200 downloaded songs so anybody know if all the DLC is compatible with RB3?

And I heard RB1&2 songs can be imported but some cannot be but I cant find a list anywhere that shows what can't be imported.

Help would be appreciated.

It's $10 to export all your RB2 songs, minus a couple I don't think made the cut. (I'll know for sure as soon as I get home today and export them) You've already exported your RB1 most likely for $5 a while ago. All your other DLC is already good to go. That's the beauty of the RB system vs the GH system.

Edit: PS - I got the last 360 keyboard in the Best Buy store. Also, all the PS3 and Wii controllers were already sold out. I wonder if it's like that everywhere or if that was just an anomaly?

It's $10 to export all your RB2 songs, minus a couple I don't think made the cut. (I'll know for sure as soon as I get home today and export them) You've already exported your RB1 most likely for $5 a while ago. All your other DLC is already good to go. That's the beauty of the RB system vs the GH system.

Edit: PS - I got the last 360 keyboard in the Best Buy store. Also, all the PS3 and Wii controllers were already sold out. I wonder if it's like that everywhere or if that was just an anomaly?

Yeah, bought my X360 Game and Keyboard at 10am at Best Buy this morning, when I drove back at 5PM to buy a Keyboard stand, everything was gone except the Wii Keyboards.

Stopped by two Gamestops on the way back to work, and they were out too. Can't wait to sink my teeth in to Pro Keys...

I may get it when it's on sale or used. I'm usually the singer and guitar player when I play.

Maybe someday, but we got a little burned out with the series about a year ago. Maybe the novelty wore off a bit.
The option for DLC can really keep the older ones alive indefinitely, although there are nice enhancements this year.
I'll have to see if the price drops and maybe grab it during the summer doldrums.

Maybe someday, but we got a little burned out with the series about a year ago. Maybe the novelty wore off a bit.
The option for DLC can really keep the older ones alive indefinitely, although there are nice enhancements this year.
I'll have to see if the price drops and maybe grab it during the summer doldrums.

This. If RB3 had come out 3 years ago, I think I might have spent a LOT of money purchasing the optional advanced peripherals

First impressions: The new UI / menu are incredible, its very easy to get around my 300 songs and there is not hithcing and pausing like I had with RB2 Everything seems faster as well, once you get past the initial suck of loading. The store is much faster too. There are about a bajillion menus (Menu Band 3) which all seem easy to navigate.

Music impressions: Saving that for tonight, should have enough people for a continuous 4 or 5 person band.

Other: If anyone has a Rock Band 3 PS3 pre-order bonus code from Gamestop, I will buy it off you. I just want the Deftones song and its not available separately right now :(

Last edited:
Picked up the official Keyboard stand. I was impressed by the quality, it's completely made of metal, heavy, etc.

Except I can't put it together because they didn't include any Nuts.

wtf Mad Catz

ok if anyone knows how to reliably activate star power in rb3 I would love to hear it. my microphone now has dents in it from people smashing things on it and we missed a ton of high scores because the new 'yell into the mic to activate star power' bullshit doesn't work.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Ive been hearing the guitars suck ass for this game is that true and can you use the GH3 guitars for the PS3?

Ive been hearing the guitars suck ass for this game is that true and can you use the GH3 guitars for the PS3?

the game doesn't come with any guitars. you can use whatever guitars you want, I've been use a gh3 guitrar and the rb2 stratocaster.

my only complaint is the lack of keyboard songs.. it looks like at least half don't have a keyboard track (or at least thats what is looked like to me)

Yea, I loaded up roundabout with pro keys on medium for my first song and failed miserably....but I am not keyboardist but it was fun to fail.

RB3 is great, I love the new tour mode, makes SOOO much more sense IMO. And, now I can play ROUNDABOUT!!! WOOO! :p

ok if anyone knows how to reliably activate star power in rb3 I would love to hear it. my microphone now has dents in it from people smashing things on it and we missed a ton of high scores because the new 'yell into the mic to activate star power' bullshit doesn't work.

isn't that how it's always worked? you sing into the mic when the gold shows up and it goes into overdrive. it's gotta be a good yell though, like a good WOOOOOO!

isn't that how it's always worked? you sing into the mic when the gold shows up and it goes into overdrive. it's gotta be a good yell though, like a good WOOOOOO!

Well yeah it used to work, now its just not working reliably at all. Out of maybe 30 songs we got into Overdrive on vocals maybe 6 or 7 times all night. There are hundreds of posts over on the rockband.com forums complaining about it :(

that sucks, i never had a problem with it, maybe it's bad microphones? wierd. for us it even work if you just blow into the mic for a couple seconds.

I never have problems activating vocal overdrive... you just keep SINGING into it. Like, continue the last note you were singing over into the activate section, or start the first note of the next second early.

I'll probably be grabbing it at Christmas with my housemate; a friend of mine already has it and the keyboard. I've played some piano in the past, and the keyboard feels fine to me, though it obviously isn't velocity-sensitive or anything like that.

The pro keys mode works pretty well; the one annoying thing about it is that since they can't put all 25 keys up there at once, any song that spans more than an octave means the key view will shift over the course the song (i.e., if it starts at RYG, and the song goes higher, it'll shift to YGB or something). This takes a little getting used to, but once you do that, it's perfectly fine. A moderately talented piano player will almost certainly be able to play every single song with a key track one-handed, given the limited range.

I also spent some time with the learn a song mode; in my mind, it is an awesome practice tool for anyone that wants to learn to play the real instruments, mostly because it takes you section by section and is actually kind of fun. Again, though, the keyboard has a limited range, so you'll have to learn the bass chords for those songs elsewhere.

got to play some more last night....game totally is missing a huge amount of stuff for the keyboard...game should have included a lot of crazy 80s synth stuff....It is very needed...

I never have problems activating vocal overdrive... you just keep SINGING into it. Like, continue the last note you were singing over into the activate section, or start the first note of the next second early.

I've always preferred WHOOOOOOOO. lol

Back