Robots to Wear Real Human Tissue

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Terminator's an infiltration unit, part man, part machine. Underneath, it's a hyperalloy combat chassis—micro processor-controlled, fully armored. Very tough. But outside, it's living human tissue—flesh, skin, hair, blood, grown for the cyborgs

Robots dressed in human flesh would benefit people who need tissue transplants, Oxford University researchers have said this week. At present, human cells are grown in stationary environments, but moving humanoids could help them develop in a far more healthier way. Robots could “wear” tissue grafts before transplantation, researchers Pierre-Alexis Mouthuy and Andrew Carr propose in the latest issue of Science Robotics. Today sheets of cells are grown in stagnant tanks, but these “fail to mimic the real mechanical environment for cells,” say the scientists. The resulting tissues aren’t used to moving, stretching, and straining, which make them problematic for use by patients.

So are scientists just giving robots the tools to kill us all rather than let them figure it out on their own?

"Hey Bob, if we make them jump, give them human skin, and the ability to sweat, do you think that they'll thank us enough to spare us for saving them a few hours of inevitable research?"

"Most likely not Jim, but it never hurts to try."

this robot called PETMAN is said to have been made to test military clothing but IMHO I can't see spending all that money on R&D just to test clothes using a humanoid type machine. In 2013 General Dynamics was purchased by ... Google. I just read that Google wanted to sell the company but I have not looked into this yet.

hell yeah! gore human fool, then wear its skin! seems like a solid plan :D

What they are talking about barely qualifies as a robot, let alone a humanoid one.

All you really is a stationary anchor, with another anchor that moves in and out. Once the muscle has grown enough, you start adding electrical stimulation so that the muscle can get used to doing the pulling work, with the machine providing resistance.

Muscles only do 2 things, pull and relax, A leg muscle doesn't care if there is a body attached to the leg, it just pulls when it's told to pull.

this robot called PETMAN is said to have been made to test military clothing but IMHO I can't see spending all that money on R&D just to test clothes using a humanoid type machine. In 2013 General Dynamics was purchased by ... Google. I just read that Google wanted to sell the company but I have not looked into this yet.

Pretty sure you meant Boston Dynamics, a Robotics company, not General Dynamics, one of the biggest defense contractors in the world.

AI research accelerating, scientists wanna put living tissue on robots, all that's missing now is the time travel

Well, how else are you going to be able to send a robot back through the time displacement field? Nothing dead goes through!

Well, how else are you going to be able to send a robot back through the time displacement field? Nothing dead goes through!
Hence the primary problem with time travel....scientists have yet to find a workaround to the whole "anywhere you go you arrive nude" problem.

Back