Robots Could Wipe out Another 6 Million Retail Jobs

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, May 20, 2017.

1. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I have absolutely no idea what you mean. How is replacing factory workers with assembly lines and machinery more local, than replacing shop clerks with computers? They won't replace every shop assistant everywhere in the whole world right at the same instant. There are some McDonalds that no longer have people taking your order, so it already started and it will go on for decades until the last shop assistant is phased out.

If technological advances no longer make it possible for our economic system to function, then it is not the technological advances that need be frowned upon.
    And the solution is not artificially keeping people in hateful jobs, when the job could be done without human slaves.

We're playing an ancient global board game of monopoly. It's the game's rules that need changing when they no longer fit reality, and not the other way around.

The game works perfectly if we pre-suppose that in order to meet everyone's needs, everyone needs to work. But that's no longer true. Due to the said industrial revolution and now due to high levels of automation. It is no longer necessary for the entire population to work full time jobs to meet the needs, or even the wants of the population.

2. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Until the government pays a living wage, what's your plan for these 6 million people to do for money? You know... so they can like eat food and live.

3. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

It's cold in here. Jump in my furnace, peasant, and I will see to it that your family is fed for today.

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Has anyone asked all the farmers who were working on the land and weren't the ones who owned it if they want to go back to plowing the land by hand? Here's a hint... the tractors did not take the land owners job, it took the jobs of those who were employed by the land own, kind of like how auto checkout will not take the job of the owners of Walmart.

Translation: You're analogy = the fail.

5. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

Those were not farmers doing that labor, those were field hands employed by the farmers...

6. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

You just demonstrated that it works on both levels. It's irrelevant who is the owner of the land or the factory, the jobs are taken either way. And something needs to be done about it.
    Smugness does no favours in making a point. Especially if you have no point.
    Your failure in understanding the analogy doesn't mean the analogy is wrong.

7. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Still not relevant to the point I was making. Do I really need to spell it out? Or who else wants to dance around words, while ignoring the real issue?

8. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

How is it not relative? Yes, those tractors wiped out A LOT of farm labor requirements. Now modern farms with gps guided machinery needs much less labor to operate. You are fooling yourself if you think the farmer is the one doing all the work on those 100k acre farms though...

The same is happening here. This tech is going to wipe out the majority of the jobs. Not all, but the majority.

9. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Awesome, I'll check the book out.

10. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

I'm sitting at a bar laughing over that.

The time of reckoning is coming, nerds are quickly ruling the world.

11. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

As someone that works in fields very much related to accounting, I can tell you they aren't going away anytime soon.

I don't say that with any type of bias like it's my exact field, but I actually implement systems for automation purposes related to ERPs, etc... Believe me, they aren't going anywhere heh. No system implementation is that straight forward.

12. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

The problem is that you CAN get by with minimum wage already. The difference is, you aren't ENTITLED to living in a single apartment with 4 rooms (kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom). You MIGHT have to do what just about each and every single one of us did at one point and share an 4-bedroom apartment with multiple people.

I did it in college, why is it that if you have a job that you are immune to such HORRIBLE treatment of sharing an apartment?

Same goes for transportation, I have simply lived WELL below my means throughout life - even as my income has climbed substantially. I still live in the same house accruing equity, and I still drive my same clunker car until the wheels fall off.

Entitlement is what is ruining jobs.

13. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

I don't know where you got that information from. Minimum wage used to be very livable. I rather have a productive member of society than an unproductive one.

14. sir-gold

sir-gold Gawd

In support of your comment, here is a (slightly old) minimum-wage chart adjusted for inflation.

[​IMG]