Robots are Learning How to Chase us Down

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Robots are now one running step closer to being able to chase us down in the streets like dogs. Thanks to Boston Dynamics a robot can now run and jump without being attached to another device for balance. Now that they can run it's only a matter of time until the first T-800 rolls off the production lines. Check out the video of our future running robot overlords.

Watch the video here.

Super impressive! Boston Dynamics is so far ahead of everyone else. All that Google $$$ and don't be evil...

Man, white robots can't jump.

fwtxxOih.jpg

That is bitching awesome - miniaturize the bulky stuff, slap on some armor, add a phase plasma rifle and you got yourself a new way to wage ground war.

Pro Tip: make sure the rifle is 40W range

Link for those that don't get the reference:

Reactions: erexx
like this
I know we have weapons that can dispose EMP, so these machine do not have the advantage yet.

The sound is perfect for a sci fi horror movie too. I can imagine some horrified crying woman hiding in a closet with that sound playing.

Still not as fluid in motion as a human, but very impressive for a machine. I wonder how long it can amble around before it needs to recharge it's batteries.

No one is gonna teach that thing to mow the lawn. No one is gonna pay money to train that thing to get groceries. No one is gonna fund the programs that develop it into a mailman.

But shotguns ... We can get the money to show it how to use a shotgun. Or a grenade launcher. Or a rocket launcher. Or God knows how many types of automatic weapons.

Destiny is a bitch.

All it needs to do when it catches up is to fall on top of you...game over, no need for any other weapon.

I've always wondered if using artificial muscles instead of hinge joints/ pneumatic actuators would result in better mobility for these robots. Although as far as I understand, artificial muscle tech is not that great yet. However, I think that we as humans also perform stabilization duties with our core, feet (heels, fingers, ankles), hips etc, and just performing stabilization with macro parts would still be rather clumsy.

Still impressive though... just wondering out loud.

Still not as fluid in motion as a human

the robot was originally called PETMAN but they changed the name later down the road. PETMAN was the same 'torso with legs only' and had a cord tethering it to I don't know what but it was completely free running and, there is a video (or was) that showed it running on a conveyer belt and then it did a 360 forward flip, landed on the moving belt and just kept on a runn'n (try that some time, see how it works out for ya)

why give it legs though? Woulndt something with wheels like a big unicycle or something be faste rand equally capable of traversing terrain like this?

Is biped locomotion really the most efficient given the obvious soldier/foot soldier purpose of this tech? Why not four legs for stability and a automatic aiming belt fed rifle on its back?

Humans are slow and clumsy relative to some of our four legged animal counterparts.

Mountain goats
Cheetahs
Wolf

Back to biped:

Thinking about animal countepart designs that would make good weapons as robots. A kangaroo is an interesting choice too. Able to leap up or over obstacles to follow its target. Large tail for counterbalance. Make it be able to jump up on the roof of a two story building. Have it be able to walk on it’s two feet normally when required.

No one is gonna teach that thing to mow the lawn. No one is gonna pay money to train that thing to get groceries. No one is gonna fund the programs that develop it into a mailman.

But shotguns ... We can get the money to show it how to use a shotgun. Or a grenade launcher. Or a rocket launcher. Or God knows how many types of automatic weapons.

Destiny is a bitch.

I'm more interested in whether it can pick up its own shit.

Not gonna lie, the unnatural way it jumped over the log made my hair stand up. That was extremely creepy.

Still not as fluid in motion as a human, but very impressive for a machine. I wonder how long it can amble around before it needs to recharge it's batteries.
That's the fly in the ointment of this and many other of our sci-fi-to-reality dreams: energy storage. There are no Tony Stark Arc reactors in the real world.

First we need robots to get my fucking McDonald’s order right. After that we can make the ones that will kill us all

Back