Robotic Muscle 1000x Stronger Than Humans

There is still a caveat.

The artificial muscle is temperature dependent. It has to be warmed to 67 celsius before it will contract. That is about 153 degrees fahrenheit.

I don't foresee robots built with this to be very temperature tolerant.

Tie to get some Deus Ex cybernetic muscular implants and Johnny Mnemonic memory augmentations, alongside EVE Online-style neural improvements, and we'll be set!

its estimated strength equals to hurling objects 50 times its weight and five times its length at speeds as fast as 60 milliseconds.

Maybe my physics is not up to date, so correct me if I'm wrong, but... how does milliseconds translate to force in this instance? Speed does not denote time, even amounts of time. Speed denotes position per time. When denoting a small amount of time, you would use something like "quickly." In this case, one might have said "in as little as," not "as fast as." Or am I wrong here, and the English the author is using better?

All the BattleTech fans out there are welcoming their new triple-strength myomer using overlords.

Beat me to it.
I'm sure there's a way to use nuclear power and heatsinks to make giant walking robots or exosuits (think the forklift from Aliens) for industrial purposes before its refined enough to be weaponized.

Much better article: http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2013/12/19/a-micro-muscular-break-through/

This is a MEMs process, so could be good for micro robots, but a lot of work needed before Terminator sized robots. Wake me when it is large enough that they don't test it on a probe station...
Being micro-scale actually makes it very unimpressive. You have scaling laws that define how strong and how heavy things are. Ever think why an ant can lift 20 times their own body weight? It's not because they are uber-strong compared to humans, it's because mass roughly scales to length as a cubic (power of 3) law while I assume strength is probably closer to quadratic law (power of 2). So if you scale something up by a factor of 10 (according to it's length, so scale up a 1 cm ant to 10 cm), it will get 1000 times heavier, but only 100 times stronger, so relative to it's size it actually got 10 times weaker.

Note: I only guessed at the square law, I'd have to read up on it, I assume squared because it seems logical that strength would scale with the cross sectional area of the muscles, the same as stress does.

Tie to get some Deus Ex cybernetic muscular implants and Johnny Mnemonic memory augmentations, alongside EVE Online-style neural improvements, and we'll be set!

That'd be great for being super strong at clicking the button to start you mining laser over and over again and remembering every little detail about how you can optimize your skills to pay the lowest possible fees during an edge-of-the-seat trade transaction in Multiplayer Space Spreadsheets. :D

Future prosthetic limbs will be just like Million Dollar Man, might have to dial the strength down a little so it doesn't destroy the limb it's attached to though.

Maybe my physics is not up to date, so correct me if I'm wrong, but... how does milliseconds translate to force in this instance? Speed does not denote time, even amounts of time. Speed denotes position per time. When denoting a small amount of time, you would use something like "quickly." In this case, one might have said "in as little as," not "as fast as." Or am I wrong here, and the English the author is using better?

It's poor scientific reporter writing. You're completely correct. But since the intended meaning is clear, and the distinction is lost on laymen, talking about it is pointless.

It's poor scientific reporter writing. You're completely correct. But since the intended meaning is clear, and the distinction is lost on laymen, talking about it is pointless.

If you follow the link to the original article they actually tell you what the 60 ms means, it's just the article Steve copied it incorrectly, probably because it's an indian site and the writers don't have a brilliant grasp of english.

Back